Talk

Advanced search

I know I am, but please feel free to tell me.

(25 Posts)
GreenMonkies Tue 22-Sep-09 20:34:41

DD1 is going off for a residential trip with school tomorrow. She is only just 6 (late August baby!) and even though she stays with my folks now and then over night I just can't shake the feeling that she's so young to be going away with school. It's just for one night, she'll be back on Thursday.

I'm being an over-protective, neurotic mother aren't I??

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 20:35:37

Yes. But I'd be the same grin

purplepansy Tue 22-Sep-09 20:36:29

No. YANBU. I'd be a nervous wreck. In fact, I probably wouldn't let mine go, so neurotic am I grin

fifitot Tue 22-Sep-09 20:39:05

I agree with purplepansy.

Mumcentreplus Tue 22-Sep-09 20:40:02

Awww..I would be the same with my 6yr old DD she's an August baby too smile bite the bullet if you think she can cope..

easylife73 Tue 22-Sep-09 20:40:12

No, YANBU. DS1 is due to go away next year with the school, and he's 9 - I'm worried enough about that, and I know I'm not the only one. DS2 is 6, and the thought of him going away with the school would be terrifying (Not sure who'd I feel more afraid for, DS2 or the teachers!)

beaniesinthebucketagain Tue 22-Sep-09 20:41:20

omg they do over night trips that young,

errm, nope i doubt i could let go of my july baby!!

overmydeadbody Tue 22-Sep-09 20:41:57

YANBU I'd be a nervous wreck too but I'd still let them go!

overmydeadbody Tue 22-Sep-09 20:43:33

beanie they do sleepovers at beavers that young too. I think it's good for them.

GreenMonkies Tue 22-Sep-09 20:47:39

The school has been doing this for several years now, apparently it's always a huge success. They do a 1 night trip in Year 2, a 2 night trip in Year 3, and a 3 night trip in Year 4, all to a (relatively) local wildlife centre/forrest. It's all secure, all set up for children, the class teachers go as well as other staff.

She's beyond excited, I wouldn't dream of not letting her go, she'd be gutted about missing out on all the fun, but she's so little........ <deep breath>

cleaningsucks Tue 22-Sep-09 20:49:09

my dd(6 - july) stays over at friends and grandparents regularly, but i couldnt begin to cope with her going away with school.

yanbu

good luck!

beaniesinthebucketagain Tue 22-Sep-09 22:54:33

id never stop him going but blimey id find it hard, beavers is different to school, we already know our local leaders ds is already nagging to join and hes just 2! school you never know the teachers, but i think aslong as the dcs are happy and excited ill crawl under my duvet until home time!

GreenMonkies Wed 23-Sep-09 18:47:41

My house is eerily quiet............. shock

sarah293 Wed 23-Sep-09 18:56:12

Message withdrawn

VeronicaMars Wed 23-Sep-09 18:58:27

Yanbu I would be the exact same. God 6 yo going away over night with school? Oh no no no, don't think I'd cope very well but I can understand you not wanting her to miss out.
What will you do with yourself?

piscesmoon Wed 23-Sep-09 19:11:58

I think it is a bit young-I would have thought Brownie age was the time to start.

countingthedays Wed 23-Sep-09 19:21:09

Wehn my son was 7 and a bit he went to America for 3 WEEKS on a choir tour. Maybe I'm just underprotective!!

GreenMonkies Wed 23-Sep-09 19:22:35

Well, I have still got DD2 (aged 3) to keep me amused, but it does seem very strange to have DD1 not here.

When she sleeps over at my folks she often rings in the early evening to tell us what she's done and to say goodnight, but this won't happen tonight, I won't get to see her or speak to her until tomorrow after school/work. It feels very odd!

mamusia Wed 23-Sep-09 19:36:35

When I was 7 i was sent on 3 week camp on my own (POLAND - it was compeletely normal) and i had bad time most of the time - it was very stresfull.
YANBU - I do think 6 is too young to go (as is 7). My DS is 6 and I can't imagine him going on such trip. I'm only just starting to plan his first weekend at grannys !blush

Mmmmcoffee Wed 23-Sep-09 20:31:03

YANBU, she's still your baby. You'd be a rotten mum if you weren't worried. You know the school does it every year, and they'll look after her, but you're still entitled to bite your fingernails down to bloody stumps - just like I would. Mine went away for 4 days when she was 8 and I was a nervous wreck. She had a great time. Didn't wash for 4 days hmm but had a great time.

ThingOne Wed 23-Sep-09 20:38:37

Blimey! Six sounds very young. The grandparents aren't near enough for my DSs to have had sleep overs so I've no idea when they are going to get practice. DS1 was asked for a sleepover by a friend and he turned it down on the spot in front of me, saying "I'm not old enough for a sleep over". He'll be six in three months time and it would have been half a mile away!

deaddei Wed 23-Sep-09 20:39:45

That is young, but I'm sure everything will be fine!!

fedupofthisnausea Wed 23-Sep-09 20:48:40

Lol, i think you answered your own question in your second post hun - i'm sure she'll be fine but worry all you like, if you care you'd be at least slightly niggled so there is nothing wrong with you.

My DD (3) goes to grandma and grandads for a weekend occasionally, she has since about 9months old after i finished breastfeeding - AND they are 90 miles away now(yikes) But Granny is a head midwife and has 2 youngsters of her own (5 and 9) so i know she can cope perfectly well and would do the best in any situation (probably handle it better than i would) But yes i still worry and have to phone to make sure she is ok!

Can you call and just talk to a teacher at all, just for peace of mind - i'm sure they won't mind!

fedupofthisnausea Wed 23-Sep-09 20:53:55

I will probably get slated for saying this but you have to remember the teachers are all first aid qualified and more than adequate to look after children in this way and there should most likely be at least one qualified adult to every 4 or 5 children. And all safety checks in place where they will be staying. So really (just logically speaking) in some cases its a safer option than letting the LO's stay with family (who we'd think are perfectly capable) who in reality have lots of other kids or are panickers or have no idea of first aid.

Just one way of thinking abaout it wink

GreenMonkies Thu 24-Sep-09 21:55:53

She had a lovely time, enjoyed every minute, slept fine but is still very happy to be home. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now