Talk

Advanced search

As a GTP to expect better treatment from my school colleagues?

(46 Posts)
NancysGarden Tue 22-Sep-09 20:25:58

During PPA time today: my school-based tutor was out on training so was supposed to meet with other year group teacher to plan. At said time, she completely buggered off til lunchtime. I went to lunch then I saw her going to the workroom.

During the last 2 hours of the day I tried to ask her a couple of questions about planning but she completely blocked my questions and said that she and the other teacher don't plan "together" they just use one another's plans. (Which btw is total BS as I know they are really good friends and chat all the way through PPA time.)

She did do some work but seemed more interested in chatting (about other staff) to other colleagues in the workroom.

I got the feeling from this woman from the off that she didn't like me. Tbh it was mutual but I wouldn't let it get in the way of being professional.

Now I am just left thinking: what a b-itch.

Or is that unreasonable?

(Thing is, she did the GTP herself 2 years ago!)

tadjennyp Tue 22-Sep-09 20:40:44

She was being downright rude and unhelpful. YANBU to expect better.

dogonpoints Tue 22-Sep-09 20:56:52

Haven't you worked with reet big pains in the arse before? It's all part of working life, regardless of your job.

mumblechum Tue 22-Sep-09 21:00:47

If I had a clue what GTP and PPA meant, I might conjure up an opinion.grin

NancysGarden Tue 22-Sep-09 21:35:09

True dogonpoints, and yes I have but I am a trainee and she was in the same boat only 2 years ago. (GTP= Graduate Teacher Programme, PPA is prep time, but forgotten what is stands for blush. Besides, if the planning doesn't get done, it's the kids who suffer, no?

ineedalifelaundry Tue 22-Sep-09 21:43:55

It might be nothing to do with yout gtp status. I've been a fully fledged teacher for 5 years and I still get treated like a total nobody by some colleagues. Some people you just don't click with.

NancysGarden Tue 22-Sep-09 21:48:13

I get what you say: being treated like a nobody I can pretty much handle - I was a TA for 2 years, sorry to say but was true of my last school. But planning together? When I clearly don't know the ropes. I think it's just a bit shitty tbh.

On a positive note my personal tutor is lovely and overall I really like the school.

CybilLiberty Tue 22-Sep-09 21:49:25

Is there someone else a little more sympathetic in the school you could talk to? (And why are some schools like this?)

ineedalifelaundry Tue 22-Sep-09 21:56:06

If you find yourself in that situation with her again, I would suggest that you get on with your planning and when you have a rough outline, ask her if she wouldn't mind checking it through with you as you could use an experienced eye... you know, butter her up a bit. She might be more forthcoming.

NancysGarden Tue 22-Sep-09 22:05:13

I will. I mean I have tried buttering her up: she laps it up (which suggests to me she is pretty insecure) and then the next day or so gives me impression she really can't stand me. Ah well, hopefully won't have to plan with her much on my own this year. Was just shocked tbh. Would never treat a colleague like this, whether I liked them personally or not. It's bollocks.

thesilverlining Tue 22-Sep-09 22:11:53

there will always be teachers in the staff room who have a real dislke for trainees - whether they be GTP or standard PGCE route....my theory is they don't like the energy a newbie often has (as newbies haven't got jaded and knackered from a few years in the classroom yet!!) and also the fact that its fresh new blood...and lets be honest - teachers have ALOT on their plate and some find it a bind to have to (in their opinion) "babysit" a trainee as they kind of feel "as if I haven't enough to do" sort of thing.

You are right - its unreasonable of her but is yet another one of those irritating facts of staffroom life...hang in there - next year you won't be the trainee anymore..

notanumber Tue 22-Sep-09 22:14:02

When you're just beginning your third year of teaching, you're still pretty inexperienced and struggling with workloads etc etc yourself.

Rather than disliking you, is it possible that she feels underqualified to mentor you, and thus is dodging the nitty gritty simply because she doesn't really know what she's meant to be doing?

PPA is Planning Preparation and Assessment.

notanumber Tue 22-Sep-09 22:15:10

Are you supernumerary?

NancysGarden Tue 22-Sep-09 22:23:51

I am being trained by the school and SCITT, of which the school is part. I have signed a contract binding me to work for the LA for 2 years after completing. Does that answer your question notanumber?

I'm sure she is struggling with class etc, but it's this kind of oneupmanship, I don;'t know. I trained as an SLT, (Speech and Language) and went through similar mentoring. It is stressful when you already feel overworked but believe me I sense that and am trying not to make a pain of myself. She actually told me she "needs" a student herself.

It's weird. She's very young, mid-20s and although I am only early 30s, I feel lots older.

DillyTantay Tue 22-Sep-09 22:25:02

was it HER ppa time?
maybe they are feeling you are becoming overreliant on them?

DillyTantay Tue 22-Sep-09 22:25:42

I agree with silverlining
I think maybe you are annoying her.

DillyTantay Tue 22-Sep-09 22:26:49

oh i dont agree that established staff find the energy annoying, oh maybe I do - its the efforts to reinvent a perfectly successful wheel that CAN be annoying.

NancysGarden Tue 22-Sep-09 22:28:27

Actually I have barely worked with her and no it wasn't HER PPA time, it was OUR PPA time. The other teacher was not there, I am 2 weeks into my training, have been a week out of class training off-site, so fail to see how I am annoying her other than on a personal level and if that's the case I find it highly unprofessional to say the least. Thanks for not jumping to conclusions there.

notanumber Tue 22-Sep-09 22:31:25

By supernumerary, I mean are you "attached" to a class - team teaching then building up to take whole lessons by yourself eventually - or do you have sole charge of a class?

notanumber Tue 22-Sep-09 22:32:44

Ok. So you are "attatched" to her and her class then?

You have exactly the same timetable?

DillyTantay Tue 22-Sep-09 22:33:39

Im with the teacher
i find you annoying.

<heads off to mark books alone>

grin

NancysGarden Tue 22-Sep-09 22:35:14

No, sorry being thick. I am attached to the other year group teacher who was away on training today. And yes we are team teaching and building up to whole lessons.

NancysGarden Tue 22-Sep-09 22:37:29

That makes two of us Dilly, und tschuess!

notanumber Tue 22-Sep-09 22:39:45

Ooooh, it's always tricky this one.

Beginning Teachers (quite reasonably and understandably) need a lot of support, especially at the start.

But she needs to have some of her PPA time to herself. After all, she is doing the bulk of the teaching and so forth, and the class' attainment is her responsibility. She can't give up all of her PPA to you.

You're quite entitled to say to her, "Look, this clearly isn't a good time for us to plan for next week. When is a good time to talk about it?" But you need a bit of give and take.

And don't judge too harshly her chatting in the staffroom. I prefer to work in the evenings at home and recover have a bit of calm time with a cup of tea in my PPA time. Lots of teachers do this. You can't expect her to change her whole style of working to accomodate you.

notanumber Tue 22-Sep-09 22:46:42

A bit harsh, Dilly !

But... Please don't take this the wrong way Nancy , it's easy to get so caught up in what you are "entitled" to support-wise, and your own struggles to cope with a very challenging year that you forget that you are not in fact the most important person in all of this.

Try to be pleasant and accomodating. Basically, you represent more work (on top of an already huge workload) for her. It's worth remembering this as respect and support cuts both ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now