Talk

Advanced search

Is having 5 cats in a council house anti social?

(79 Posts)
fattybumbum Tue 22-Sep-09 20:01:12

We have had the same neighbours (semi) for 6 years. The woman in particular is a difficult woman but we have always made an effort and got on fine with her. We own our house but theirs is a council property. They have just acquired 2 more cats (kittens), putting their total up to 5. Their front and back gardens are beautiful but are all paved and full of tubs - so guess where the cats have come to shit? Yes you've guessed it!

We have recently done up our garden so it has a nice lawn and now it is full of cat shit on a daily basis. I'm 38 weeks pregnant so don't want to touch it and DS is 3 and has bad eczema. He is the type of child that if you told him to not go near a cat poo, he'd be over in a shot.

Dh said about it to our nieighbour tonight and she (rather sarkily) replied, 'Nothing I can do about it.'

Would it be very mean of me to report her 5 cats to the council as anti social? There is very obviously no place for them to poo in their own garden. I know we could go down the whole route of strips on the fence (though they own the adjoining one so could actually prevent us from putting strips on the most important one anyway) plus lemon plants, sonic devices etc but to be honest I am going to have a baby next week and we just don't have the time right now never mind that money is very tight. Any of the aforesaid purchases would have to be on a credit card.

Would I be an utter bitch to ring the council? They would know it was us for sure and I don't want to get into the whole war with nieghbours thing but I'm just really pissed off that they can have 5 cats in an 8m by 10m paved garden and act like it's OUR problem, not theirs. GRR!

ErikaMaye Tue 22-Sep-09 20:03:39

I don't know... Can understand why its bothering you, though. Have you tried filling bottles with water? Or setting up some lines of old CDs? Cats don't tend to like to go near them.

sarah293 Tue 22-Sep-09 20:04:05

Message withdrawn

bigstripeytiger Tue 22-Sep-09 20:06:36

5 cats sounds like a lot, but I dont know if the council will be interested in it.

Sounds really annoying though. I hope you find some way of detering them.

fattybumbum Tue 22-Sep-09 20:07:05

Don't get me wrong - I actually do like cats but it doesn't seem fair that the neighbours get to have a lovely garden and we have to keep out of ours until Dh gets home from work and then clean up THEIR cats shit!

Hassled Tue 22-Sep-09 20:08:49

I sympathise but a)don't think it's in the Council's remit to decide how many cats = antisocial. As long as they're well looked after etc. - and b)as Riven says, you've probably got all the neighbourhood cats crapping there anyway. If you "lose" these 5 there will be 5 more living nearby.

So I think you have to look into things to deter cats full stop. I do see the injustice of this (and I have 2 cats), but I think realistically that's the way you have to go.

differentID Tue 22-Sep-09 20:12:10

sorry, but how can you prove it's her cats? There are 20 cats in 7 houses where I live, none of them crap in my garden. which is less than 8 by 10m.

PurlyQueen Tue 22-Sep-09 20:12:27

Sounds anti-social in any house.

Drusilla Tue 22-Sep-09 20:17:27

It's got nothing to do with their garden being paved over - cats never shit in their own garden! A spray bottle with water and a little washing liquid in it would probably work better than lemon plants

ZZZenAgain Tue 22-Sep-09 20:17:58

have you considered getting a dog?

ZZZenAgain Tue 22-Sep-09 20:19:04

or would that be a problem with ds' skin problems?

Sounds a right pain tbh. I understand it is getting you down.

Hando Tue 22-Sep-09 20:19:06

How can it be anti social? What is she supposed to do exactly?

If she has 5 cats and they are all well looked after then she isn't doing anything wrong.

Cats are not like dogs, they are mostly out during the day and therefore crap as and when and where they like. Cats generally do not crap in their own gardens anyway, so even if she laid lawn and made a catty craping paradise I doubt they'd do it there.

You will have to do something to stop her cats (and probably all the other peoples) coming into your garden for a dump.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Tue 22-Sep-09 20:19:12

So do you object to the cats or the fact you brought your council house had they have the cheek not to buy theres?
Do you get a better class of cat shit from a cat that lives in a house that has a mortgage on it?

While I see the cat poop is an issue the fact it is from a council house cat is not.

Oh and I AM NOT a council tenant and I have two cats

fattybumbum Tue 22-Sep-09 20:20:08

Also, because I am pregnant, everything is annoying me.I'm having fantasies about BB guns.

I definitely know it's their cats because I'm housebound with the pregnancy so have nothing better to do than watch themn invading my garden all day lol! There are other cats in the area who used to come in but it's hard for them now because of the way we've done up the garden (high fences, gates etc).

ZZZenAgain Tue 22-Sep-09 20:20:40

I think the reason she metnioned it is a council house, is she is wondering whether she'd get any help if she complained to the council about it. I don't think she is being a snob

Ninks Tue 22-Sep-09 20:21:10

Cats are pretty anti-social in that they usually piss off their owner's neighbours.

And I speak as someone who saw her cat of childhood die horribly, wheezing and convulsing from the neighbour's rat poison which they put down in their shed where our cat went to do things.

My knob of a next door neighbour swears at DS aged 2, (and me - git yer fuckin' kid in!") if he plays in his own our garden in the mornings as the twat insists on sleeping with his windows open. And doesn't have to get up for work might I add hmm

And yet his cat shites all over our lawn.

Hobnobfanatic Tue 22-Sep-09 20:22:41

It's not antisocial to have five cats! YOu WOULD be an utter bitch to ring the council. Put out some of that green stuff you can get from Garden Centres - it's a cat-repellant. Can't remember the name. It might persuade them to go elsewhere?

fattybumbum Tue 22-Sep-09 20:23:01

KIMI, the ref to their being council tenants was merely because I thought I could complain to the council about anti-social behaviour, that's all.

ilovesprouts Tue 22-Sep-09 20:24:06

swears at your dc shock

KIMItheThreadSlayer Tue 22-Sep-09 20:26:30

The council don't care about the low life drug addicts and the feral children so I think cat poop will not get anyone thinking.

Get your DH/DP to pee in a bottle and spray it round your garden there by marking "your" territory, it does work (also keeps foxex away) but it has to be male pee

overmydeadbody Tue 22-Sep-09 20:26:39

you could pave your garden too?

<runs>

geordieminx Tue 22-Sep-09 20:26:45

Cats dont usually crap in the middle of lawns. They normally dig holes in borders, crap and then bury it. Well at least my cat does, and my mums 4 cats do.

Agree that you need to look into something humane to deter them. No guns.

sarah293 Tue 22-Sep-09 20:26:48

Message withdrawn

Ripeberry Tue 22-Sep-09 20:27:29

You can't report her for having cats unless there is a clause that she can only have one cat.
Why not just chuck all the cat mess over the fence into her 'neat' garden?
She might get the message then grin

LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 22-Sep-09 20:28:59

I don't think the council will give a shit ( - sorry!) either TBH.

I find the animal repellent spray in a large yellow and navy blue sprayer very effective at detering cats.

I used to spray it on me bin bags when i put them out and it stopped all the strays and foxes opening them in the night - even when they had chicken bones in them.

I now spray it round the bottom of my wheelie bin to stop the annoying bloke from round the corners' dog spraying up it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now