Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - Ex -ILS want to fund a trip for me and dc to visit them?

(17 Posts)
citronella Tue 22-Sep-09 19:26:36

Here's the catch -

They live in OZ, ExH has disowned them, my relations with ExH are not at all good atm.

I get on ok with ex-ILS and deep down I think my dc should know their DGPs.

Owls Tue 22-Sep-09 19:28:52

Well on the face of what you've said I'd go. Just because Ex doesn't speak to his parents doesn't mean your DCs shouldn't have the chance to get to know their grandparents. Or is there more to it?

warthog Tue 22-Sep-09 19:29:30

i'd go. i don't think it will be easy, but good for kids and give you a bit of a break.

diddl Tue 22-Sep-09 19:29:31

How long do they want you to go for & would you all get on for that time?

If things "go wrong", you can´t just leave!

Does it matter that you´re not getting on with your ex-in terms of you visiting his parents.

EmNotPGYet Tue 22-Sep-09 19:29:55

I reckon I'd bite their hand off!

Will your exH be there? If not, I wouldn't see the problem! How old are your dc? It sounds great for them to have the chance to see their GPs.

Rindercella Tue 22-Sep-09 19:33:20

I'd go. Just don't stay at their house - be independent when you're there.

I bet they are dying to see their GC and see this as their only way to do so. Quite sad for them really, but sounds like they are probably approaching it ok.

citronella Tue 22-Sep-09 19:34:07

Well I'll confess I have actually said yes on the basis that it's about the dc and anyone elses feuds should not come into it.

Exactly what you said Owls and warthog I am already fantasising about putting my feet up!

But I still wanted to gauge what you lot would think and do.

The thing is exH will be white with fury when he finds out.

It will be for two weeks and I think we'll get along fine.

BitOfFun Tue 22-Sep-09 19:34:42

I'd go too. It's not just a jolly, it's maintaining a link with your dc's family.

citronella Tue 22-Sep-09 19:35:46

We would have to stay at their house (I can't afford hotels atm) and that is part of the invite.

citronella Tue 22-Sep-09 19:36:29

No exH won't be there

movingnow Tue 22-Sep-09 19:37:28

I'd go.

Northernlurker Tue 22-Sep-09 19:37:38

If you think you'll be quite happy then go. Stuff your ex - just because he's blown things why should your kids not know their grandparents? I'm assuming grandparents are rational beings unlikely to freak out and abandon you in the outback?

citronella Tue 22-Sep-09 19:59:41

lol Northernlurker! No they are perfectly rational beings

Thanks for your replies

groundhogs Tue 22-Sep-09 23:44:13

Go for it! Have a ball! Bon Voyage! grin

twirlymum Tue 22-Sep-09 23:56:26

I think they are being very generous, and it sounds great. Grandparents are important! Have a great time.

sunnydelight Wed 23-Sep-09 00:07:59

You are acting in the best interest of your kids so unless there is some pressing reason, like a history of violence, why the kids' grandparents can't spend time with them sod your ex-h!

If you're coming to Sydney I'm happy to meet for a glass of wine or two while your kids are being entertained by their grandparents grin

Longtalljosie Wed 23-Sep-09 07:48:33

Go - but bear in mind if you do that no matter how bad your relations with your XH are now - they'll get a whole lot worse if you do...

Not that that's a reason not to go - just worth factoring in...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now