Talk

Advanced search

to think they could at least make an effort?

(17 Posts)
lal123 Tue 22-Sep-09 15:33:34

I'm due to start Maty leave on Friday. My boss was arranging a cheerio lunch tomorrow. Out of about 23 folk invited only 6 have confirmed they are going. In my delicate hormonal state (!) I'm just about in tears. Not ONE of the secretarial staff are coming - my own secretary was going ot come, but when she found out that none of the others were going she's changed her mind. I just feel so undervalued and feel like telling the whole lot of them to shove their lunch up their a$$

THe office manager was arranging it - meant to be a bit of a surprise for me - but she's just come in and asked whether or not she should book somewhere after all if its just 6 of us - and if I want to cancel can I let people know?????

GirlsAreLOud Tue 22-Sep-09 15:36:30

Oh you poor thing, are you sure some people haven't confirmed but are actually coming?

thedollshouse Tue 22-Sep-09 15:38:46

Oh don't take it personally, maybe they can't afford to eat out at the moment.

lal123 Tue 22-Sep-09 15:39:51

well if they are they won't be eating because it looks like I'll have to book it now. Think I might just go home early

Sassybeast Tue 22-Sep-09 15:41:10

Go with the six who have confirmed and have a great time - I've had to pass on quite a few gatherings recently as the budget is being squeezed ever tighter. Don't take it personally.

GirlsAreLOud Tue 22-Sep-09 15:45:46

That's true, whereabouts you going? We had a pizza express vouchers thing when I left for M/L. Maybe your boss has arranged something too expensive?

purplepansy Tue 22-Sep-09 15:48:27

YANBU, but you should go with the six that have confirmed, otherwise they will feel undervalued in turn.

lal123 Tue 22-Sep-09 15:51:02

will definitely still go with the 6 who've confirmed. Think perhaps boss has aimed too high - have just gotten menu and main courses all around a tenner

thedollshouse Tue 22-Sep-09 16:01:50

Thats most likely it then. A few years ago dh and I wouldn't have dreamed of not going to a works lunch but now we have to refuse all invitations as eating out has become a luxury.

SecretNinjaChipmunk Tue 22-Sep-09 16:05:49

maybe mention the expense factor to the person who organised it, maybe it just didn't occur to them that some people can't afford it? is there anywhere cheaper but still nice you could go?

MrsVik Tue 22-Sep-09 16:09:54

Maybe you could arrange to go out for a drink afterwards? Just at a local pub. That way some of the others might be able to join you and not have to spend a fortune.

OrmIrian Tue 22-Sep-09 16:20:04

Tis definitely a bit ambitious. Usually it's just a quick lunch time drink IME, and just those that you work with a lot or are very good friends with.

OtterInaSkoda Tue 22-Sep-09 17:04:22

For me, pay day is a week Wednesday. no matter how much I valued you I wouldn't be able to come for lunch tomorrow.
Could you have a "party" in the office? That's what we tend to do - everyone brings in a plate of sausage rolls or whatever. Not as dull as it sounds - I promise! Last one was gargantuan.

3littlefrogs Tue 22-Sep-09 17:07:13

There are 2 for 1 pizza express vouchers around at the moment - on line. Would that be an idea?

thedollshouse Wed 23-Sep-09 10:04:04

Thats a good idea OtterInaSkoda.

lal123 Wed 23-Sep-09 10:10:55

Otter - yes will bring in some cakes and stuff on Friday as well. No Pizza Express near us - only pizza hut and that's justaiming a bit low!

Doodlez Wed 23-Sep-09 10:14:03

It's Mat Leave, so you'll be back to show off the baby and eventually, back in work. If you were leaving for ever, I think more would step up to the plate!

Enjoy your lunch with the 6 stalwarts but mostly, enjoy your mat leave grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now