Talk

Advanced search

To be really cheesed off with sons school

(16 Posts)
jjsmum Mon 21-Sep-09 21:40:05

DS is 7 and has jsut started juniors. He has a spelling test on a MOnday and has a week to practise the words. There is Bronze, silver and gold.

He did the spelling test today but didn't get a sticker (bronze, silver or gold) as he got one spelling wrong in each section. That doesn't bother me as I think he got 12 out of 15 right so I gave him loads of praise. My problem is he's really upset as he's got a yellow card which means if this happens next week he will miss 5 mins of playtime and if it happens the week after he will have to go and see the headmaster!!!!

I asked him about the other children on his table and he said one of his friends got all of the bronze right (5) and the rest wrong but got his sticker so all is okay.

AIBU to think this is clearly unfair when he got 12 out of 15 and might have to go to the headmaster if this happens again but other children who get 5 out of 15 get a sticker and all is okay?

I also thought the words were really difficult for a 7yr old too _ carbohydrate, motionless etc

Sorry for the spellings I am livid.

LadyPinkofPinkerton Mon 21-Sep-09 21:42:44

Sounds utterly ludicrous. Are you sure that is how it works?

famishedass Mon 21-Sep-09 21:43:01

can you show us the complete list saying which words are in bronze, silver and gold etc?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 21-Sep-09 21:43:47

Seems like a really unfair system to me.
I would discuss it with the class teacher, pointing out the inherent flaw inany system where you can get a reward for getting five spellings out of 15 correct and a punishment for getting 12 out of 15 correct. Do it not in a cross way, but in a tone of polite astonishment.

jjsmum Mon 21-Sep-09 21:44:47

Yes it's how it works I spoke to another parent and she confirmed it, she used to be a parent helper there. I thought the same to start with!

Jajas Mon 21-Sep-09 21:45:00

sounds dreadful, I would be livid too

LadyPinkofPinkerton Mon 21-Sep-09 21:45:08

Also think that any kind of punishment for spelling wrong is absolutely not on.

I have a friend who is a primary teacher and we were just discussing spelling the othe night. She said she truly believes that some children just don't get spelling at a young age and one day it clicks.

jjsmum Mon 21-Sep-09 21:47:19

Bronze was easier words like- like, love, want, glass

Silver a little bit harder - candle, gloves, speak

Gold - Carbohydrate, motionless, lifeless,

oldraver Mon 21-Sep-09 21:47:28

I would be very cross with any teache rthat is in effect saying that you will be punished for not getting 100% of your work right.

janeite Mon 21-Sep-09 21:51:15

It sounds a really silly idea to me (am a teacher btw). I think you need to have a chat with the teacher about this. Is it a whole school system. or an individual class thing? If whole school, then tis the head you need to see.

footballsgalore Mon 21-Sep-09 21:52:11

This seems like madness!
Just get him to practise the bronze ones (and maybe silver if you are really keen.) Ignore gold. That way he is guaranteed to get at least one section right.
Rubbish to punish kids for mistakes, he's 7 FGS.

jjsmum Mon 21-Sep-09 21:55:52

Thank you I am going to have a chat with his teacher in the playground in the morning.

seeker Mon 21-Sep-09 21:56:42

Completely bonkers. Mind you, spelling tests are completely bonkers too - lots of schools don't do them any more because so many children are like my dd, who got 100% for every spelling test she ever did in primary school - and couldn't spell the words if asked to put them in a sentence. And who is still a rubbish speller.

I would check that your ds has really understood the system before you go in all guns blazing, though......

footballsgalore Mon 21-Sep-09 22:02:19

There is no proof that words learned in spelling tests are applied across to other writing.
One of the main reasons many schools carry on with spellings is because 'parents like them'hmm
Not in this house! At least not until they are about 10 years old anyway. (the kids not the spelling test!)

Andrea67 Mon 21-Sep-09 22:07:41

You need to speak to the teacher about this.

My son is 7 too and he's just had his first spelling test - ing words - reading, speaking, etc.. The spellings are linked to learning sounds.

There is no punishment for incorrect spellings. Some children find this very difficult, so it shouldn't be a big deal as it will put children off.

There must be a school policy for teaching spellings.

As a teacher myself, I wouldn't be happy if this had happened to my son.

Sounds like teacher has some explaining to do!

WickedWench Mon 21-Sep-09 22:09:16

Um, isn't that 80% and wouldn't that equate to an A** or similar in a GCSE??? Talk about setting the bar way too high!

Yes, speak to the teacher. That isn't acceptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now