Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that if the school says no mobile phones to be teken on trip then everyone should respect that.

(178 Posts)
kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 21-Sep-09 18:38:03

DD went off for her first school trip, she'll be back on Thursday. She is/was thrilled about the whole thing since she found out about it three weeks ago. I dropped her off at 7.30 this morning, saw her onto the bus, had a quiet grizzle to myself then went for a cup of coffee with another mum. She asked me how much cash I'd given dd, I said none, she didn't need it, she then asked about whether I'd topped her phone up for her. It turns out, she's given her son 100 francs (about 60 quid) and sent his iphone along with him. I am sitting here seething with anger which I know is unreasonable, but ffs, the school made some rules that, imho are worth keeping.

ssd Mon 21-Sep-09 18:39:24

she shouldn't have done that, makes it so hard for the school and the other kids

YANBU

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 21-Sep-09 18:39:42

Obviously that should say tAken, we don't come from Yorkshire.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 21-Sep-09 18:47:11

Thanks. It is really strange without her here, around this time we'd just be giving her the 15 minute countdown before we turn her light off. Someone else's problem tonight.

sarah293 Mon 21-Sep-09 18:47:26

Message withdrawn

diddl Mon 21-Sep-09 18:52:10

Ours also aren´t allowed to take.

Well, they don´t have one, so no matter.

They´re given the opportunity to "phone home"

We have the number/address of where they are, the teachers have our contact details & we have the teachers handy numbers.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 21-Sep-09 18:52:20

Message withdrawn

ElieRM Mon 21-Sep-09 18:54:16

School said no cash and no mobiles? So nopayphones or mobiles? No ringing home at all?
I agree; rules are rules. But that's going a bit far. How old are the kids?

sarah293 Mon 21-Sep-09 18:55:26

Message withdrawn

GrungeBlobPrimpants Mon 21-Sep-09 18:57:37

YANBU - for reasons StewieGriffinsMom said. If there is a major problem there is always an emergency contact number. Good thing for children to learn independence, that they can cope without parents for a bit and also stop texting each other all the bloody time even when in same room (I suspect the latter is the real reason)

diddl Mon 21-Sep-09 18:57:38

I think it´s ridiculous for children to have phones on a school trip.

The way they are depended on now, it´s a wonder how we existed before them!

RustyBear Mon 21-Sep-09 18:58:02

If phones are taken on school trips:

Someone will lose one and the parents will complain

Someone will break one and the parents will complain

Someone will borrow someone else's phone and use up all their credit and the parents will complain

Someone will run up a massive bill talking to friends back home and the parents will complain

Someone will feel homesick and ring home every few hours and will feel worse, instead of getting over it, and the parents will complain

Someone will send someone else a nasty text and upset them and the parents will complain

Someone will keep all the others in their bedroom awake all night talking on the phone, and the other parents will complain

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 21-Sep-09 19:00:15

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 21-Sep-09 19:00:40

Message withdrawn

annh Mon 21-Sep-09 19:00:43

Schools don't allow phones because otherwise the kids are phoning home all the time to tell their parents they are feeling unwell or they have forgotten to bring some essential bit of kit. Parents will then phone the teachers or the school or the activity centre in a panic and a great deal of time is wasted tracking down the student who will by then have found the missing kit or have made a miraculous recovery and be half-way up a climbing wall!

diddl Mon 21-Sep-09 19:02:01

When our children are on trips, the teachers always have handys with them.

seeker Mon 21-Sep-09 19:02:10

So long as the teacher in charge has a mobile phone and tparents have the number, or there is a reliable way of contacting the group in case of an emergency then I think the no phone idea is a really good one.

Apart from anything else, the kids will have to find something else to do in the evening apart from playing with their phones!

annh Mon 21-Sep-09 19:03:16

Leonie, if there was an accident the teachers/group leaders have mobiles. Surely far better that they use their phones than 50 hysterical children suddenly start phoning their families? That isn't really going to achieve anything, is it?

piscesmoon Mon 21-Sep-09 19:05:28

Phones on trips are a nightmare! Much better without, and just a number for emergencies. Previous generations have managed fine!

piscesmoon Mon 21-Sep-09 19:06:14

Hopefully anyone who breaks the rules will have the phone removed until they go home.

diddl Mon 21-Sep-09 19:07:03

Riven,
that´s terrible.

Hope the receptionist was disciplined.

So added to the worry of your daughter was the worry of wondering why your sons were taking so long to arrive.

sarah293 Mon 21-Sep-09 19:14:04

Message withdrawn

piscesmoon Mon 21-Sep-09 19:25:49

Hopefully the teachers will have left their phones at home too! One number for emergencies is fine. The whole point of a trip is to get away!!! People can manage, and function without a phone. All those with PFB's will cause no end of problems because they won't let go. If I was a teacher I would absolutely refuse to go if they had mobile phones.

sarah293 Mon 21-Sep-09 19:27:50

Message withdrawn

dogonpoints Mon 21-Sep-09 19:30:36

YANBU. Schools I know don't allow phones on a trip. Quite right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now