Talk

Advanced search

to think that my family should secure car seats properly?

(18 Posts)
Meglet Mon 21-Sep-09 12:20:59

Am I right in thinking that the baby needs to go in the car seat and harnessed in before the baby seat is strapped in the car (the way I've always done it)? My family seem to think its fine to leave the baby seat seat-belted in the car and to just slide dd into it when they take her out in the car. Surely it needs to be done properly every time she's in it and the seat belt 'threaded' through and tightened securely.

No idea whether I'm being a worrier or my family need to start doing it properly?

MmeLindt Mon 21-Sep-09 12:24:04

How is the seat secured? Is it over the top of the baby?

I would normally put the baby in the seat then secure it in the car, with second DC I used a travel system so the base stays put, you just lift the car seat out.

colabottlefizzy Mon 21-Sep-09 12:25:33

Really? I've never done that and I don't know anyone who does. With his earliest car seat it used to just get clipped into the base and now with his forward facing one I just put him in. I do check that it is tight but don't re-thread it evey time.

Are you really meant to do it lilke this??

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 21-Sep-09 12:25:33

Depends on the type of seat though each time it is used it should be checked it is still tight enough.

booboobeedoo Mon 21-Sep-09 12:26:22

I think you are worrying a bit too much. If you leave the babyseat in the car, pop the baby in, harness it, then check the seatbelt is threaded through and tight, that should work fine.

Meglet Mon 21-Sep-09 12:29:50

Its not one with a base, just one you seat-belt in. The lap belt goes over the car seat. It doesn't seem very secure if they've had it rattling about in the car without her in it then slide her in and click her little harness.

They insist on parking on the road too (instead of the car park by my house) so the door is opened with cars going by. I was hit when I loaded dd in last year and have never done it since, but they just keep doing it. I'm going to have to have words aren't I?

MmeLindt Mon 21-Sep-09 12:40:27

Do they tighten the straps when they put your baby into the seat? If they do that then she will be fine.

oldraver Mon 21-Sep-09 13:54:09

You are talking about a O+ seat I take it ? I dont think it matters which way you do it so long as the straps are tightened and the seat seatbelt checked (realises I didnt always do this)

If you had a 0-4 years (rear facing and forward facing) seat you would leave it belted in the car and as you say 'slide' DC in under the seatbelt, the same as I have done when in my Parents car and I have left the car seat in the car

ChunkyMonkeysMum Mon 21-Sep-09 13:56:05

Is this one of the first stage car seats (0-9 months). If so, then I would say that you are doing it correctly by putting her in before strapping the car seat into the car. However, if it one of the next stage car seats, then it would usually be left in the car all the time & the child gets strapped into it in the car. They are far too heavy to get in and out each time, especially with a child in them.

Meglet Mon 21-Sep-09 14:50:56

oh, yes, it's the baby rear facing one, part of a travel system. Maybe it is ok though. It never occured to me to just leave it in the car, I've always put the baby in the seat first.

diddl Mon 21-Sep-09 14:53:21

Surely depends on the seat-after a while it would be ridiculously heaver to keep taking it out.

dizzymac Mon 21-Sep-09 14:53:29

Once bay gets heavier it is very hard to keep taking the seat in and out of the car each time you use it. I can't see the harm as long as the seat has been fitted correctly in the 1st place.

Alambil Mon 21-Sep-09 14:57:31

I used to slide DS into his - just yank on the belt to re-tighten it and check the buckle every time... it's fine

diddl Mon 21-Sep-09 15:03:37

I assume if there is no handle or it doesn´t fit to a pram frame it is a car seat only& can be left in the car?

pooexplosions Mon 21-Sep-09 15:08:16

If you only use it in the car, why would you take it in and out all the time?
I always wonder as well why people use the bucket seats to carry the baby around in, it looks so heavy and awkward, why not just carry the baby?

Meglet Mon 21-Sep-09 15:10:32

its one like this

I think I'm worrying too much blush. I do get a bit neurotic with car safety.

choosyfloosy Mon 21-Sep-09 15:13:03

Can't see the harm in what they're doing, sorry. You could check with Halfords though?

Don't know what to say about the parking in front of the house. I'm afraid that it sounds OK to me as well but I don't know how busy your road is.

Meglet Mon 21-Sep-09 15:18:55

yay! IABU grin blush

choosy A car hit my car door when I was putting dd in the car last year. It is a residential road, but used as a rat run. The driver got done for not driving with due care & attention. I was lucky that only my back and bum were hit by the door when he smashed into it, if my head had been near the door frame I wouldn't be here now. The doc that examined me said I'd lost one of my nine lives. I always make sure I load them off the main road now, we have parking directly outside my house but my family seem to ignore it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now