Talk

Advanced search

to think if your kids is too ill to be at school( or otherwise not capable)

(36 Posts)
DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 11:22:17

( and he looked perfectly normal)
he shouldnt be reading at the gym?

ChunkyMonkeysMum Mon 21-Sep-09 11:24:24

YANBU !!!! When I was a child, if I was too ill to go to school, my Mum would not even let me out of bed, let alone out of the house !! grin

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Sep-09 11:24:40

urine ifection.maybe had d and v within the last however many hours so wasnt allowed at school.ear infection.ummmm.allsorts.

colditz Mon 21-Sep-09 11:25:16

depends entirely on why he's off school.

I keep mine off after an asthma attack because they are exhausted and I don't trust the teachers to administer iinhalers when they are needed. But they aren't ill.

DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 11:25:18

yes in ours
if you are off school you are IN BED - at least for the morning

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Sep-09 11:29:56

yes i keep ds2 off nursery if his asthmas been playing up.hes not got the energy to last the day but might seem well.

can i go to bed?please?

CyradisTheSeer Mon 21-Sep-09 11:30:00

Message withdrawn

DoNotPressTheRedButton Mon 21-Sep-09 11:30:00

Depends

DS2 was injured by school (grrrrrr) so couldn't walk and they didnt want him in sitting there bored with his sticks but he wasn't ill as such, so e just continued with the things we normally do- eg ds4's baby gym class- and he sat there with a book.

Was fab therapy, within a few days he was begging school to be allowed in through sheer boredom LOL

Alsoremember aprents sending me in with a broken writing arm (they sent me in regardless, went in with mumps and all sorts) and having a teacher rant at me that it was a waste of her time.

hunlet Mon 21-Sep-09 11:31:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 11:32:07

oh god you lot are so reasonable and logical
grr grin

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Sep-09 11:33:06

grin

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Sep-09 11:33:26

He could be technically off sick but not yet ready to return - eg post-D&V, conjunctivitis, had an asthma attack or epileptic fit during the night. Many reasons.

I had severe bronchitis several times in my teens, and if I didn't rest for another week after I was no longer actually ill, then I had a relapse. I didn't look ill during the second week, nor did I stay in bed all the time, but I certainly could not go to school.

hunlet Mon 21-Sep-09 11:33:35

crokky Mon 21-Sep-09 11:33:58

The gym I go to has a little play area. It is full of kids who are too sick to go to nursery/school. I am a SAHM and my kids (3yo and 1yo) have caught really nasty stuff from the play area, so many times that I can no longer use it because I don't want to be ill for the sake of 15 minutes of playing angry

CyradisTheSeer Mon 21-Sep-09 11:36:04

Message withdrawn

belgo Mon 21-Sep-09 11:38:22

In Belgium you always have to have a doctor's sick note for every day you take off ill. On the note the doctor specifies whether or not the ill person is allowed out of the house or not.

Of course that's not possible in England where it's virtually impossible to see a doctor unless you are at death's door.

colditz Mon 21-Sep-09 11:43:50

belgo, in this country it wouldn't work because we would ignore it. I wouldn't fancy being under house arrest from my GP, thanks!

Yes, we are all annoyingly reasonable. I think a lot of unreasonable opinionated behavior stems from ignorance, so when you are given the information to see how other people deal with things and why they deal with them that way (re asthmatic relapse) then you have the tools at your disposal to be reasonable.

gorionine Mon 21-Sep-09 11:44:37

It depends on what is wrong with the child really. Some schools do not want children to comeback to school earlier than 48 hours after a spot of diarrhea, even if it is caused by something dodgy the child has eaten, rather than a bug.

This is just an example but I am sure there are mamy others.

But, in a general manner, I agree with you OP.

DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 11:44:39

he was quite old

cheesesarnie Mon 21-Sep-09 11:46:35

over 16?grin

short adult?

all sorts of possibilities.

what was he reading btw?was it the reading material that was bad?

grin i am bored today but trying not to do housework.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 21-Sep-09 11:48:45

Message withdrawn

hunlet Mon 21-Sep-09 11:53:00

pagwatch Mon 21-Sep-09 11:56:02

I am intrigued to know what a perfectly normal child looks like. My son looks perfectly normal. And he can read.

Can't be left at home alone though and he is nearly 13..

( people do actually say to me " ah, what a shame. And he looks so normal.....")

DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 11:56:35

OH I knew ID GET THAT [GRIN]

DillyTantay Mon 21-Sep-09 11:56:47

gRIN NO WOrks in caps.
how odd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now