Talk

Advanced search

Stoned childminder...

(41 Posts)
Ronaldinhio Sun 20-Sep-09 22:42:59

Someone I know, closely, is in the final stages of applying to be a childminder.
Thing is she's a very heavy user of marijuana.
She needs to use it every day, throughout the day, to help cope with a number of ongoing issues including longterm and severe depression.

Her illness and drug use makes her behaviour paranoid and erratic, she suffers from mood swings and debilitating panic attacks.

I think that this is entirely the wrong move for her and for her potential charges but she won't hear a word of it as she needs the money.

AIBU to speak with someone in authority about my concerns?

charcharcharlepew Sun 20-Sep-09 22:43:50

YANBU.

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Sun 20-Sep-09 22:44:28

if you are sure that this is the case, tehn YANBU at all and need to speak to OFSTED

CharCharGabor Sun 20-Sep-09 22:44:34

Definitely yanbu, black and white imo.

Bookswapper Sun 20-Sep-09 22:44:38

of course not
you absolutely should

shock

cheesesarnie Sun 20-Sep-09 22:44:48

yanbu.you would be being unreasonable if you didnt voice your concerns!

tessofthedurbervilles Sun 20-Sep-09 22:44:50

No do it, would you forgive yourself if something happened to an innocent child cos she was off her tits and a child got hurt? Its a no brainer for me.

kylesmybaby Sun 20-Sep-09 22:45:39

you should probably speak directly to her.

hf128219 Sun 20-Sep-09 22:45:49

Not safe for her to continue to do this when childminding.

OrangeFish Sun 20-Sep-09 22:46:01

Please do shock

AnyFucker Sun 20-Sep-09 22:46:03

oh dear, what a horrible position you are in

have you spoken to her in no uncertain terms that you think she is out of order to be considering this ?

if you have and she is ignoring you, then, yes, you have to take your concerns further

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Sun 20-Sep-09 22:46:16

is she getting any help for her illness? also , having illegal substances in the house with young children aboutis a bad idea

Ronaldinhio Sun 20-Sep-09 22:46:26

problem is she's family... but it's bloody terrible to imagine that she'd be in charge of a child, let alone a number of children

AnyFucker Sun 20-Sep-09 22:47:28

never mind family, the same rules apply

hf128219 Sun 20-Sep-09 22:48:00

I agree very difficult but you must think of the children.

OrangeFish Sun 20-Sep-09 22:48:37

well... even more so, if she is family, chances are that you are in a better position to evaluate potential dangers than one she only knows casually

Ronaldinhio Sun 20-Sep-09 22:50:19

she's being treated for depression and says that her counsellor recommends that she use weed to even out her days...????

I've spoken to her but she says she can make £100+ per day and she is almost through the process.

Surely they ask somewhere on the application is you have any illness or ongoing mental health issues?

paddingtonbear1 Sun 20-Sep-09 22:51:28

oh dear, this must be difficult but yanbu at all to voice your concerns. have you spoken to her about it?

BoysArrLikeDogs Sun 20-Sep-09 22:51:45

She may well be turned down by OFSTED - her medical form will have details about her medical history from her GP; she may therefore be found to be not a suitable person.

I don't think that you can tell OFSTED until her application has been submitted - they cannot take action until they receive an application

YANBU to be concerned

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Sun 20-Sep-09 22:51:55

it all sounds very bad, being depressed, having panic attaks, using weed daily and being in denial about the impact it will have on her professionl life is scary

valhala Sun 20-Sep-09 22:52:57

I know of a Nanny who is much the same as the OPs person. Problem is I only know her first name and the street she lives in - is there anything I can do with such scant detail. I feel a real b for even thinking of reporting it - shes a nice girl who has gone through hell in her personal life and adores her job as well as being very good with kids.

But, she drives them about when stoned (she smokes dope as others smoke B&H), she has sole care and I know it isn't right for the children, although I feel like I would sound just horribly morally superior.

paddingtonbear1 Sun 20-Sep-09 22:53:35

My friend used to be a childminder but I don't think she made £100+ per day!

Danthe4th Sun 20-Sep-09 22:55:08

OMG there is a specific question which asks if you use drugs but not sure if it was ion the cm forms or the crb check, but I remember it being asked, actually I think it was on the ofsted form. If she does get through the initial ofsted inspection where they inspect to see the house and interview the cm, then I would definately report to ofsted. you could do this online or ring up, but you must.

Ronaldinhio Sun 20-Sep-09 22:56:03

The thing is she's kind of losing touch with anything real...using psychics as much as her counsellor.
Far from sure that her GP is aware of her weed usage as she is also taking tricyclics.

What a bloody mess

LynetteScavo Sun 20-Sep-09 22:59:36

Would the Ofsted inspector smell it when they walk into the house?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now