Talk

Advanced search

to make dh iron his own shirts even though I'm a SAHM?

(144 Posts)
emkana Sun 20-Sep-09 21:55:48

He's currently ironing in the kitchen and muttering to himself and wants the MN consensus on this.

DoingTheBestICan Sun 20-Sep-09 21:56:52

Is the ironing making him ill? If not tell him to shut up & keep ironing grin

DuelingFanjo Sun 20-Sep-09 21:57:57

I don't think he should ASSUME you should do them. You should be able to have a conversation about it. personally I think being a SAHM is about being a MUM and you are not his mum so why should you get him ready for school work?

What is so pressing in his life that he needs you to do it for him? What will he be doing when you are ironing?

LynetteScavo Sun 20-Sep-09 21:57:58

YANBU.

Is he only doing his shirts?

AnyFucker Sun 20-Sep-09 21:58:48

well, about 15 yrs ago my dh complained about some ironing I had done not being of good enough standard

needless to say, he has done his own ironing ever since grin

DuelingFanjo Sun 20-Sep-09 21:59:17

and PS - does he iron your clothes so that you can do your job or does he for some bizzare reason think you should do everything?

emkana Sun 20-Sep-09 21:59:40

He's only doing his shirts because nothing else in this house gets ironed blush

LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 20-Sep-09 21:59:41

I don't iron. DH does his own shirts. You're his wife not his mother or his bloody housekeeper.
He wears 'em, he irons 'em.
End of.

emkana Sun 20-Sep-09 22:00:14

in his defence he's not entirely serious in his complaining

Hulababy Sun 20-Sep-09 22:00:14

YANBU

I work PT (every morning, term time only). Although I do most of the other housework (albeit not all every time) and do the cooking, DH does ALL our ironing - that is his, mine and 7y DD's clothes.

ShrimpOnTheBarbie Sun 20-Sep-09 22:00:29

You are a SAHM NOT a SAHIL (Ironing Lady)!! I am one too and never iron my DHs shirts unless he is in a huge rush/late and I am feeling particularly generous. He irons for me under the same circumstances.

SingingBear Sun 20-Sep-09 22:01:15

Message withdrawn

Firawla Sun 20-Sep-09 22:02:23

I think yabu a little bit, its normal for sahms to do it
depends if he works long hours then yabu, if he works average or shorter hours and doesn't mind then yanbu

dutchmanswife Sun 20-Sep-09 22:03:19

They are his shirts, they are his responsibilty. If he doesn't want to iron them he should either wear them creased or send them out to an ironing srvice.

traceybath Sun 20-Sep-09 22:04:44

I'm a SAHM and I iron.

I iron DH's shirts because I don't actually mind ironing and he works very long hours.

I also have a cleaner once a week so have help in that way.

As with most things I think its what works in your relationship.

Niecie Sun 20-Sep-09 22:06:57

I have never, in 16 yrs of marriage ironed DH's shirts. He used to do his own but now I take them to an ironing lady who does them for me. I have enough to do with my own and the DC's.

Tell your DH he could pay to get them done.

Mind you, I do have the hassle of taking them and picking them up but rather that than actually have to do them.

choochoo73 Sun 20-Sep-09 22:08:59

The Suffragettes did not chain themselves to railings for me to iron shirts.
Luckily for me my husband would rather do it himself as I am rubbish with an iron.

purpleduck Sun 20-Sep-09 22:09:18

we tend to take turns...even when I was a SAHM we did this.

PommePoire Sun 20-Sep-09 22:09:48

I too am a SAHM and do not routinely do my husband's ironing. I didn't do it when I was BC either. He has never expected me to do it and he never asks me to do it. So, if I can see he's really tired and I'm not especially or if he's had to bring paperwork home at the weekend then I offer and sometimes, he gratefully accepts. YANBU.

IdrisTheDragon Sun 20-Sep-09 22:11:12

I am a SAHM and DH generally irons his own shirts. He does work long hours, but they are his shirts. He doesn't seem to mind smile

babyicebean Sun 20-Sep-09 22:11:13

Ironing............remind me again what it is?

mrsjammi Sun 20-Sep-09 22:13:59

Message withdrawn

kittywise Sun 20-Sep-09 22:14:03

I am a sahm and do everyone's ironing. I see it as part of my remit. He earns money so I can stay at home, why should he iron his shirts?

Barrelofloves Sun 20-Sep-09 22:14:16

I can't iron. am sahm and dh does his own ironing. We have a sheila maid upstairs where everything is hung from coat hanger/hanging pegs and so it means clothes are not crumpled and also we don't have to tumble dry or iron anything else! Brill!

BetsyBoop Sun 20-Sep-09 22:14:41

tell him to by non-iron shirts, that's what DH does, as we both hate ironing with a passion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now