Talk

Advanced search

to go away for weekend instead of attending funeral?

(9 Posts)
cruelladepoppins Sun 20-Sep-09 19:57:09

Sad to say, a neighbour has died. We were on good terms but not best friends. We are prob slightly friendlier with her son who also lives nearby. Anyway. I was planning to take DH away next w/e, just the 2 of us. Booked tickets and everything, won't get the money back. About £200. Should I cancel my plans?

Vinomum Sun 20-Sep-09 20:00:28

No, I don't think you should cancel. FIL died last year and MIL's best friend couldn't come to the funeral as she was on a holiday that had been booked months before. It was sad for MIL that she couldn't come to the funeral but no noses were put out of joint because of it - you can't time these things can you? (funerals I mean obviously not holidays smile )

ChunkyMonkeysMum Sun 20-Sep-09 20:01:33

No. If you already had plans and will lose money, then don't cancel.

Obviously it's a sad situation, but it's not a family member, so therefore don't cancel your plans.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Sun 20-Sep-09 20:21:46

If it were a close family member or very close friend I think canceling may becalled for, but not in this case.

Send some flowers and a lovely card then enjoy your hoilday

Knickers0nmahead Sun 20-Sep-09 20:24:15

I wouldnt cancel.

My Grandad died a week before we went to Salou. We didnt cancel. He wouldn't of wanted us to do that. We had a drink in his name on the day of the funeral and then went to his grave the day we got back.

AMumInScotland Sun 20-Sep-09 20:30:42

You've booked, and it wasn't a very close relative or friend, so go. Send a card saying you won't be able to make it but you're thinking of them.

Lilyloo Sun 20-Sep-09 20:32:08

No , i would send flowers i doubt the family would want you to miss out on your weekend.
Maybe visit son and explain ?

pigletmania Sun 20-Sep-09 20:40:46

No dont, just send flowers and your apologies, its not like you are relatives or close friends.

cruelladepoppins Wed 23-Sep-09 20:41:15

Thanks all so much - that's reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now