Talk

Advanced search

to give DS a machine gun

(107 Posts)
babybarrister Sun 20-Sep-09 18:39:53

probably been done a million times but got fed up with DS [almost 3] using every implmenent in the house as a gun so bit the bullet [so to speak ...]

cookielove Sun 20-Sep-09 18:42:27

oh i don't like the thought of it, but really its up to you at the end of the day, personally i'd probably settle for a water pistol, but that is far as i'd go

bergentulip Sun 20-Sep-09 18:43:13

I would have continued letting him use his imagination. An almost 3yr old holding a gun (even if a toy) is never a good look.

Also, it seems quite young to be pretending to be shooting things.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 18:44:23

You do what you want with your own child but it isn't something I would give my own children.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 20-Sep-09 18:46:14

as long as you don't give him the bullets aswell

Spacehoppa Sun 20-Sep-09 18:48:44

Only a good idea if you have a rocket launcher

2shoes Sun 20-Sep-09 18:50:36

yanbu9as long as it isn't a real one) ds played with toy guns and hasn't turned out to be an armed robber

bedlambeast Sun 20-Sep-09 19:24:49

Message withdrawn

Morloth Sun 20-Sep-09 19:28:32

We are Stargate nerds, just be grateful he hasn't asked for any C4 or a naquita generator so he can blow up the sun.

DottyDot Sun 20-Sep-09 19:29:22

We have a rule that if ds's (7 and 5) win crapola toy guns at fairs on hook a duck or something, then that's fair enough - we don't stop them. But we don't buy them for them - it's bad enough that every stick/pen/just about anything is a gun without actual guns as well!

It's also amazing how many trashtastic fairs we end up going to these days... hmm

EccentricaGallumbits Sun 20-Sep-09 19:35:11

YABU
Bad vibes.

tatt Sun 20-Sep-09 19:36:51

depends if you let him shoot you with it grin

hercules1 Sun 20-Sep-09 19:38:03

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

mmrsceptic Sun 20-Sep-09 19:43:27

a bit
but it's all so much about appearances
i wouldn't let him take it to the park and would hide it on playdates from other mothers otherwise you will spend all your time explaining and making excuses

i had to explain an action man at the school gate which had a camera on the shoulder that looked like a howitzer, that was tedious

a bit silly in some ways as lots have "alien" weapons or water guns but it is socially unacceptable I would say

but he won't turn into a mass murderer -- as you know

my dad, the gentlest man i know in the whole wide world, entire career in social care, thought it was all a bit much the fuss about guns, because as you say they do make their own

mmrsceptic Sun 20-Sep-09 19:44:30

i withdraw the socially unacceptable comment as I cross posted with others disagreeing and so maybe it's not

pinkthechaffinch Mon 21-Sep-09 11:29:19

hmm, current thinking amongst early years professionals suggests that 'hero' play in young boys can be of great benefit and some pre-schools are now again allowing (and even encouraging) toy weaponry to be played with.

However, it does look very unattractive!

mumblechum Mon 21-Sep-09 11:33:03

I don't think there's any point whatsoever in trying to stop little boys playing with guns.

It's a normal part of growing up and is extremely unlikely to end in them going off to Somalia to join the rebels at age 11.

My neighbour's boy wasn't allowed any guns, she even took the teeny tiny gun which came with his action man away, with the result that he's now decidedly gun/violent games obsessed whereas ds lost interest quite early on.

hunlet Mon 21-Sep-09 11:35:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hunlet Mon 21-Sep-09 11:35:43

twirlymum Mon 21-Sep-09 11:37:06

I worked at a playscheme, and the rule was absolutely no guns or toy weapons of any kind. The little darlings would make them out of lego or sticklebricks anyway.

mrsruffallo Mon 21-Sep-09 11:54:39

Hmm, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, but I must say this only since having a son (who is now three)who loves to play 'hero' games, loves wrestling and pretends to 'kill' people with his fingers made into a gun. He has a vivid imagination, even does that piaow piaow sound when firing it. I sincerely do not know where such things come from and have not encouraged it in the slightest.
I would have been very judgy when I only had my dd though grin

hunlet Mon 21-Sep-09 12:18:04

pigletmania Mon 21-Sep-09 12:28:29

Why not buy a big water type gun or something that does not look realistic so that it looks more like a toy. I dont believe that children should not have toy guns to play with but realistic typ one i will be a bit hmm The more you ban them, the more they will want it. I used to have a toy gun that shooted little plastic discs and very very low velocity never did me any harm, dont like guns anyway. I think things have got a bit too far now and banning everything that may seem offensive or un PC IMO

pigletmania Mon 21-Sep-09 12:32:01

Its natural for little boys especially to want these things and to play war, hero type games (mabey when they are a couple years older) its just a bit ott to ban any type of gun even if it looks so far from the real thing and comes in a range of neon plastic colours.

babybarrister Mon 21-Sep-09 14:36:33

this is the problem - lots of other judgy parents! I might as well say that I am encouraging him to murder small animals .... I have no idea where he gets all the bang noises from but do think it seems to be natural stage of development...

I would love to know whether the more judgy on here have boys or girls?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now