Talk

Advanced search

To think that no under fives should touch farm animals???

(109 Posts)
corblimeymadam Sat 19-Sep-09 19:36:38

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Sat 19-Sep-09 19:37:18

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Sat 19-Sep-09 19:38:15

Man.

I was gearing up for a PFB, getoveryourself post.

<deflates>

corblimeymadam Sat 19-Sep-09 19:38:41

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Sat 19-Sep-09 20:20:34

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Sat 19-Sep-09 20:21:42

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Sat 19-Sep-09 20:22:50

That has to be quote of the week, dilemma. grin <applauds>

Lilyloo Sat 19-Sep-09 20:23:59

Lol at starting a thread title to cause posters to get up in arms then feel deflated when it's wrong grin

Ridiculous i agree!!!!

Lilyloo Sat 19-Sep-09 20:24:45

Love it Dilemma grin

DoNotPressTheRedButton Sat 19-Sep-09 20:26:27

We used ds3'sfirst DLA payment to buy us membership of the local community farm a snip at £65 for a family of 6!)- secure so safe and great fun. It's worth being reminded to wash your hands etc but hmm, animals are part of what being a child is about isn't it? Ds4 is at that doggie mad stage of toddlerhpod and its great, YANBU

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 19-Sep-09 20:27:06

Message withdrawn

cory Sat 19-Sep-09 20:27:24

The only reason there is a knee-jerk reaction for a ban is that there is no longer a feeling that this is a necessary or natural part of life.

You don't see a movement to ban 5yo from getting into cars or crossing roads. Or even from getting into cars or crossing roads on non-essential errands- which is probably most journeys undertaken if you really start analysing it. There is a strong underlying feeling there that the convenience and pleasure of being able to pop down to Tesco's (even if there is a corner shop that you could use) or driving to the soft play centre is important, so no-one cavils about it.

But things like swimming in the sea or being close to animals are no longer thought of as essential, so dangers are weighed in a totally different way. Dangers become unacceptable dangers when people don't really understand why other people should need to do those things.

But it's very cultural, in other countries swimming in the sea might be regarded as absolutely essential, so there is more of a tendency to accept the risks.

differentID Sat 19-Sep-09 20:28:15

as my dh said. are we meant to stick children in a bubble until they reach puberty? they aren't allowed/ able to do so much that we took for granted.

expatinscotland Sat 19-Sep-09 20:32:02

Around here, kids are actively helping in the family farm at that age.

Make sure you teach them to wash their hands properly!

That'll cut down on a whole host of things.

Mine touch farm animals, eat food growing wild (nettles, wild garlic, blackberries at present, strawberries, wood sorrel, haws, hazelnuts, etc.), go to a school with a massive acreage for a playground and play outside in all weathers, pick up seaglass and pottery off the beaches, go in sea loch water, etc.

Life is for living, IMO.

Otherwise, what is the point?

BoysArrLikeDogs Sat 19-Sep-09 20:32:17

<admires cory's use of cavils>

cory Sat 19-Sep-09 20:51:48

BoysArrLikeDogs Sat 19-Sep-09 20:32:17 Add a message | Report post | Contact poster

"<admires cory's use of cavils>"

I know, should have been "cavils at", shouldn't it? I'm not used to drinking any more blush

stickylittlefingers Sat 19-Sep-09 21:06:36

might I go a little against the flow here...

I was brought up on a farm. I find it upsetting that ruminants now have this relatively new strain of E-coli in their system because, yes, I would now think twice about taking my or anybody else's children to a petting farm in case they don't clean their hands properly (that's not such an easy thing to do, every single time - and they do stick their mitts in their faces before you can stop them).

I do take Cory's point - but it seems this is quite a hard risk to guard against if you have kids on petting farms (with ruminants). And if they are unlucky and get it, there's nothing the drs can do, as far as I understand it.

NHSworkerbee Sat 19-Sep-09 21:09:27

Deffo Elfin safety gorn mad imho.As long as handwashing strictly adhered to all should be fine.

I am getting increasingly fed up with the alarmist media.First pig flu now this!

ChunkyMonkeysMum Sat 19-Sep-09 21:24:39

We live very close to Godstone Farm and have been there on numerous occasions with our kids (I also used to go when I was little), but I have always made sure that I wash my kids hands after touching the animals to make sure it is done properly.

I will be taking my kids back there when it re-opens as they love it.

crankytwanky Sat 19-Sep-09 22:34:04

Oh I see.
<<<steps down from soapbox>>>

Yes they should all roll in poo a bit. You don't get many farm kids with asthma or tummy bugs do you? We were raised on unpasturised milk and dirt, damn it! grin

curiositykilled Sat 19-Sep-09 23:41:28

I think I'm going against the grain too. I'm not sure about banning under fives from pettting farms but should young children really be petting goats, sheep and cows on petting farms anyway? Our local farms all have rabbits and guinea pigs for petting, keep the more dangerous animals (horses, cows, sheep, goats e.t.c.) in pens as well as providing facilities for hand washing.

'Petting farms' are rather a distasteful, theme parky idea to start with but one I know children enjoy. I think it is particularly difficult because under fives are much more likely to put their hands in their mouths and touch things and are the ones who are most at risk from an E. coli infection. I think it would be different for children living on a farm as they would likely have built up resistance over time.

I suppose the other option, rather than banning under fives, would be to regulate which animals were appropriate for petting and which were not.

FannyWaglour Sat 19-Sep-09 23:44:34

oh ban those blardy farms. It is a sad state of affairs when people are so removed from a horse or a cow they go down the petting farm to look at these sad creatures in their filthy quarters.

MrsArchieTheInventor Sun 20-Sep-09 00:20:33

How's about this for an idea? You know those Zorba balls, the massive transparent balls - 'bubbles' - that you climb into and roll down hills at breakneck speed? How's about we create a version of those (non pvc obviously) that our beloved darlings can live their lives in until they are of an age when we feel they can safely live in the big bad germ-filled world? We can sterilise the inside with Milton pre-incarceration and children can easily play with toys inside the 'bubble' as we loving, caring parents can easily sterilise all toys introduced into the 'bubble' with an endoclave before their entry, thus ensuring that all potentially harmful bugs and bacteria are completely destroyed before they have a chance to touch our precious gems. "Oh but they won't be educated", I hear the cries. "Oh but they will be" I retort, as we can introduce computers with rubberised keyboards (for easy disinfecting) and screens sealed into the 'bubble' exterior (no nasty germs luriking in nooks and crannies). These screens also have the added benefit of being able to screen Lamaze and Kumon approved programmes into the bubble, thus ensuring that our darlings are not exposed to unsuitable brain numbing programmes such as 'Hollyoaks', Eastenders' and 'X Factor'. Such rot! We can also ensure that our darlings recieve only the best nutrition inside the 'bubble'; organic and completely free from pesticides, chemicals and anything other than natural goodness, foods that have never been touched by cancer-causing cling film or that have seen the inside of anything other than a tractor and mummy's eco car as she transports the food from the farm to the 'bubble'. And our darlings will be so much healthier for our concern for their wellbeing and protection from the living world. Animals will be creatures learned about from books and Open University programms. Olde Worlde pets such as cats, dogs, hamsters and goldfish will only be kept by families whose parents don't care about their welfare and developmental and emotional wellbeing. 'Bubble children' will learn about these creatures from books and interactive computer programms that simulate what it feels like to stroke a cat and hear a dog bark when a stranger passes by the garden gate. And what a wonderful world it will be!

Or not.

For fuck's sake, get a grip! Not meaning to make light of the children who have been made extremely ill by e-coli but we live in the real world with real germs and bacteria and 'Professor' Hugh Pennington's 'advice' is simply bullshit masquerading as health and safety precautions. There could have been a number of factors contributing to the e-coli outbreak but to whip up mass hysteria amongst otherwise loving parents is irresponsible, unfair and wrong. It smacks of Daily Mail/Express-type hysteria and any normal, sensible parent will be able to use common sense when visiting farms and wash their darling's hands before touching food or items destined for the mouth (thumbs, soothers etc). Precautions they may be but methinks it's a hoo-ha about something that shouldn't be making headline news at a time when so much that should be, isn't.

Sorry for any offence.

Geocentric Sun 20-Sep-09 00:31:13

Vitamin D, baby!!!
(as in "dirt")
(said with nasty Austin Powers accent)

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 20-Sep-09 00:34:33

I think kids should be allowed to touch farm animals, but can somebody explain to me why there seems to be several farms closed due to e-coli, is it a new thing that the farm animals are getting, or are the authorities a bit more on the ball due to the one that has affected several children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now