Talk

Advanced search

Should I call the RSPCA?

(32 Posts)
ineedalifelaundry Sat 19-Sep-09 19:28:50

Ok here goes...

Out walking my dog this morning, came across a pair of (self confessed) alcoholics on a park bench. One asked me if I would call an ambulance for him as he felt like he was dying. He didn't look at death's door to me and his mate said "he does this all the time". So I was directing him to the nearest phone box when I noticed a tiny emaciated puppy with visible ribs asleep on his lap. I asked if the dog was alright and was told he was fine- 9 weeks old. I said he was too thin, that he needed worming and feeding properly.

Half an hour later, on my way back through the park, same guys were there with a couple of paramedics. I went over and offered to take the dog. Everyone, including another concerned bystander, agreed it was a good idea. I left my address with the paramedics and took the puppy home. It was half starved, ate an adult sized portion of food and still wanted more. I took it straight to my vets, they examined him, gave me wormer, confirmed he was indeed underweight and told me to bring him back in a week for vaccinations. I then bought a collar, some proper puppy food and a couple of toys. I didn't know how long I would have him for and I meant to look after him properly. Back home I gave him a bath - he stank.

Teatime- knock on the door. A man I've never seen before with 2 kids says "someone said you've got my dog" So I question him about it, such as why did that alcoholic have it, why is it under weight, why hasn't it had vaccs, why no id tag or microchip etc. His answers were frankly crap, he contradicted himself on several points, and even though he claimed it was his kids dog, the kids are standing there looking bored and blank, even though I'm holding their supposedly beloved puppy in my arms who had been missing for 3 days hmm

I told him to come back in half an hour when my DH would be in because I wanted to talk to him. He came back in 15 mins with his wife and another bloke, gangster type, who started giving my DH loads of lip and attitude. They changed their story so many times I couldn't keep up. I offered to give him the £100 he said he'd paid for the dog but he said no, he wants his dog.

We had to give in- we gave him the dog. I told them again that it was underweight, it needs worming, gave them the worming medication and told them how to give it, said he has to go to the vets asap for his vaccs... They nodded and said yes in all the right places but I just don't know...

We've got their name and address. I'm thinking of calling the RSPCA to go and check up on the dog.

Should I?
What if he sends his gangster mate round to threaten us again?
Really don't know what to do.

nellie12 Sat 19-Sep-09 19:31:14

yes. ask them to keep it anonymous. it all sounds very strange . Poor dog sad

OrmIrian Sat 19-Sep-09 19:33:48

Yes you should. Poor bloody mutt sad

I remember watching some piss-head walking up the road with a dog on a lead. He kept staggering all over the shop dragging the poor thing with him. It looked so resigned. DOgs put up with everything,

diddl Sat 19-Sep-09 19:36:42

YANBU, but chances are that they´ll know/guess it´s you who called the RSPCA.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 19-Sep-09 19:37:47

Do call the RSPCAsad

You did as much as you could but for the sake of the dog, give them a call.

ineedalifelaundry Sat 19-Sep-09 20:38:38

I really do want to call them, but the owners will definitely know it was me who called. They already brought a heavy round once. We have a 1 year old dd. Hubby is not hard type. So torn!

Lovemyshoes Sat 19-Sep-09 20:43:12

First thing I would like to say is thank goodness you were there to feed and look after the poor little thing.

I would DEFINATELY report them as I can't abide anyone treating animals badly. I would bet these kind are all mouth and no action.

Please follow it up and let us know how you get on.

LittleWhiteWolf Sat 19-Sep-09 20:48:45

Definately phone them. At the very least the RSPCA can repeat what you have already said, but with the threat of the dogs removal should they not comply, which you obviously cannot do.
What breed was the puppy, do you know? I find it odd that they would care so much about getting it back given its condition unless it was an expensive breed, or dare I say, illegal?

LittleSilver Sat 19-Sep-09 21:07:03

I think what you did was very kind.

valhala Sat 19-Sep-09 21:09:30

Are you sure that they have given you their real details? Sounds doubtful that they would to me.

Assuming however that they have, you can phone the RSPCA or you can hand the details of these people over to someone who ... ahem... thinks along more extreme lines wink and who will make sure that the dog makes his way miraculously into safe hands. And no, I'm not kidding.

Bless your heart for all you have done for the poor mite - there aren't many out there like you. I appreciate how you are caught between a rock and a hard place and can see your concerns but all I can say is that I personally couldn't abandon the little pup to his fate.

Be warned although the RSPCA MAY act, they also have a reputation within the independent animal rescue world for NOT doing so - and their confidentiality clause means that you will like as not never know what actually happened, if anything at all.

Tbh, IF there was little chance of the owners knowing who lodged the complaint, IF I could assure you that the RSPCA would act, and to your satisfaction, of course I would say that this would be the appropriate way to go.

My experience says otherwise of their willingness to do a great deal and personally I would be taking an alternative course of action.

Whatever you do, for the sake of this poor little puppy, please, don't do nothing.

Valhala - independent network rescuer.

cornsillk Sat 19-Sep-09 21:14:44

Poor little thing sad. Definitely ring the RSPCA. Thank goodness it's gone to them with a full tummy anyway.

valhala Sat 19-Sep-09 21:16:57

Hang on, something else, not relevent to the question but to the overall tale...

You gave your details to the Paramedics when you took pooch home with you and hours later complete STRANGERS ended up on your doorstep? WTF were the Paramedics thinking of?

Come Monday I would be writing to their superiors with a formal complaint and reading the bloody riot act!

Lilyloo Sat 19-Sep-09 21:18:25

Why would they come and take it from a new and loving home sad

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 19-Sep-09 21:44:06

i wonder what they would have done if you had asked for proof of ownership. i might have been tempted to that? depends on how scary they were.

the RSPCA are only able to remove an animal that is already suffering. in all honesty i doubt they will do anything at all, but you could ring them for advice and hope for the best.

ineedalifelaundry Sat 19-Sep-09 21:51:33

Valhala - it wasn't the paramedics who gave them my address- it was the other bystander in the park. She vaguely knew the alcoholic bloke and he told the 'real' owners that she had taken the dog (he was so confused he didn't remember me hmm) so they went to her house first. She remembered my address from me telling the paramedics. So that's how that came about.
Please explain further how I can help this dog without the help of the RSPCA? Are there other organisations that can assist? Thanks

mummylin2495 Sat 19-Sep-09 21:54:29

maybe the RSPCA could say they were just doing a routine check as the puppy was clearly unwell.

thirtysomething Sat 19-Sep-09 22:07:42

Could you say, if challenged, that the vet called you to follow up (as the dog was underweight and he had concerns about him...) and so you gave the vet the owner's details...so maybe the RSPCA called the vet? Little white lie but plausible?

Well done on your actions - not many people would have done what you did; most would have just assumed the paramedics would somehow deal with it....

valhala Sat 19-Sep-09 22:09:40

Ah, I see, sorry for my mistake there. Bloody irreponsible and silly of the bystander though!

Erm, now, how to put this...

The RSPCA is the only real choice if you are going about this in a completely above-board manner although your local dog warden may know the alcoholic (they often do keep an eye on such owners, especially if there are a few in your area), and be able to shed some light on the matter. Depends on how pro-active he/she is and how forthcoming they are on speaking "off the record".

Another alternative is to join the Yahoo email discussion group "UK Animal Rights - best to use a disposable email address especially set up for the purpose to protect your anomimity although I and most on there use our usual ones (guess we are already known to be subversives lol). If you post your query on there someone may well be able to give you further advice or to help out. For example, they might have a contact in the RSPCA local to your area or with your dog warden etc. There may also be someone who knows your home area and can have a wander around to see where the pup is, who really has him and so on.

If you do post there I will pick up your message and email you at that disposable email address to see if I can help further and to give you an idea of who I am, let you check me out to prove I'm being honest with you and so on, for your peace of mind. I don't claim to know all the members of the group by any means but know a fair few as I work with them as a network rescue volunteer and so may be able to advise you on who is who and what they are all about.

valhala Sat 19-Sep-09 22:13:37

Out of interest - what breed was pup and was it a dog or a bitch?

vjg13 Sat 19-Sep-09 22:19:44

Do you think the address is correct?

I called the RSPCA about a neighbour's dog which was kept in very poor conditions. He was in a tiny back yard full of poo, never walked and underweight. The RSPCA said the dog was ok as it had access to food and water and did nothing.

ineedalifelaundry Sat 19-Sep-09 22:35:14

Valhala- it was a ridgeback cross, possibly with a whippet, according to the vet. The owner thought it was a ridgeback crossed with a pitbull hmm

Dog, not bitch.

Thanks for pointing me to the yahoo group- will check it out.

valhala Sat 19-Sep-09 22:42:20

Odd... could have seen their interest in having the mite back if he was a potential fighting dog/breeding bitch or even a pedigree. The only interest I can see with a Ridgeback x Whippet - if indeed he IS x Whippet is as a coursing dog... and god knows they are appallingly treated by some too.

Only you can be the judge of the likelihood of that dependent on whether coursing is practiced much in your area and of course I wouldn't expect you to give such information on a public forum.

If the owner and the apes at your door do indeed think he is a PBT x, however I guess I can see why they wouldn't want any awkward questions and were anxious to get him back... and not to protect him from the ridiculous dangerous dogs act either, I suspect.

What b****ds!

LittleWhiteWolf Sat 19-Sep-09 22:48:35

Thats what I thought Valhalla. But even so any dog can be trained to be a fighting dog for cheaper than an illegal breed. People are cottoning more and more onto this. Another reason to contact the RSPCA I would say. Personally I would call them even if they cannot remove the dog right away--it never hurts to alert the RSPCA to a potential suffering animal, especially if they do train it to fight and it gets hurt sad

valhala Sat 19-Sep-09 23:10:23

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ukanimalrights/

This is the address of UK Animal Rights - hope it helps.

ineedalifelaundry Sat 19-Sep-09 23:17:17

Have joined. Membership pending.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now