Talk

Advanced search

ds is 14, nearly 15, old enough to be a babysitter, well at his age i was.. but alone in the house?

(20 Posts)
TheThlotPlickens Sat 19-Sep-09 11:53:43

i can't decide whether to leave him between 5 and around 11.pm while we go out. he does not want to go where we are going.
we wont be able to get home to him before then as have no transport.

i am sure at his age i was left alone but in this position i am unsure.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Sat 19-Sep-09 11:55:28

If you feel he is mature enough to be left alone, then I'd say that's fine. As long as he can contact you if there is a problem.

I was definitely left alone at this age.

purepurple Sat 19-Sep-09 11:56:26

Only you know your own child, but I have left my children when they were much younger than that.

DailyMailNameChanger Sat 19-Sep-09 12:07:24

This age is really tough because, as you say, he is old enough to be responsible for, not just himself, but also young children in an emergency late at night. However the idea of leaving them alone in the house just seems wrong!

I think it is another one of those times whn you have to be sensible about risk and look objectivly at your child. Would you really trust him to get small children out of a house in the case of a fire? If the answer is yes then you should probably trust him to get himself out - of course the next question is do you trust him not to organise a party whilst you are out wink grin

bigchris Sat 19-Sep-09 12:09:36

why dont you get him to ask a friend over to keep him company?

francagoestohollywood Sat 19-Sep-09 12:09:40

I'd leave a 14 yr old alone in the house for that amount of time, but again only you know your child best!!!

purpleduck Sat 19-Sep-09 12:25:32

If you can't trust him to be alone, then perhaps you need to work on this. He is plenty old enough.

TheThlotPlickens Sat 19-Sep-09 12:25:34

thanks for the replies.
no he won't be babysitting. i was just thinking of the example, that i was babysitting at his age.

a friend over?
just one might be a good idea.
will suggest that.

the thing is with facebook and stuff he might tempted to tell loads of people he is alone.

will have to have a chat.

hatesponge Sat 19-Sep-09 12:30:51

I leave DS1 (who is 11) at home on his own for a few hours - however only because he is very sensible & also only during the day, he would be scared on his own once it gets dark.

I can understand that 11pm is quite late even when you're 14 - maybe having a sensible friend over (ie one unlikely to broadcast that they are home alone on facebook/bebo) would be a good compromise

TheThlotPlickens Sat 19-Sep-09 12:32:01

sensible boy?

<<not sure if he knows one>>

grin

TheThlotPlickens Sat 19-Sep-09 12:34:44

in retrospect, he might be better alone..

purepurple Sat 19-Sep-09 12:39:46

I think he might be better alone too.
I have strange photos on my digital camera of DS and his mates doing strange things with fruit and household objects when he was left home alone. he is older, 20, but you never can trust them.
Before you go out give him the lecture about not abusing the trust you have in him. Tell him if you have any carry-on, then old Mrs Meggins from down the road will be coming to sit him next time. And her moustache.

purpleduck Sat 19-Sep-09 12:55:57

purple - I think wemay need to see those

OrmIrian Sat 19-Sep-09 12:58:45

Perfectly fine. With rules. And as long as he can get hold of you in emergency.

TheThlotPlickens Sat 19-Sep-09 13:15:27

we might just know a Mrs Muggins smile

katiestar Sat 19-Sep-09 13:59:30

I have a 14 yr old DS who is probably more mature and sensible than I am.wink
I would only leave him if there were somebody ,a friend or neighbour , nearby who he could call on in an emergency and they knew about the arrangement.

nymphadora Sat 19-Sep-09 14:01:59

What sort of things with fruit? <nosy>

mumeeee Sat 19-Sep-09 18:55:56

He would be fine on his own, I would'nt have a friend over though. Even sensible teenagers can get very silly when they have friends over without an adult present.

hercules1 Sat 19-Sep-09 18:59:43

I leave my 13 yr old on his own lots of times.

AnAuntieNotAMum Sat 19-Sep-09 19:09:19

What are you worried might happen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now