Talk

Advanced search

To have just shouted F*** OFF at robot voice on the phone...?

(28 Posts)
Caz10 Fri 18-Sep-09 21:56:35

Almost 10pm on a Friday night, no-one EVER calls our house at that time! Phone rings, I grab it in a panic so it doesn't wake dd (and obviously cos it means someone has died or something) and there is a robot voice saying "Congratulations, you have just won a luxury holiday to the Caribbean"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

We are on the TPS list as well...angry

lemonadesparkle Fri 18-Sep-09 22:12:46

No YANBU.

I once sent a snotagram back to (what I knew to be) an automated email from Tescos reminding me to buy my (deceased) mother flowers for mothers day. I knew no-one would ever read it but after recieving dozens of similar emails every day for the month preceding the 'big day' I snapped and it made me feel better.

Actually I wonder if perhaps someone did read it, as I got FAR less this year hmm

Meglet Fri 18-Sep-09 22:14:25

Yanbu.

I've sworn at the automated ones on many occasions (out of the dc's earshot). Registering with the TPS seems to have stopped most of them now.

Caz10 Fri 18-Sep-09 22:17:19

Aaw lemonadesparkle that is sad, no wonder you snapped. I only have 1 close friend who has lost her mother, and we always text/call/see her on mothers day as it is so difficult for her.

Maybe I should have stayed on the line until I got a real person to swear at! grin

EvilEdnasTwinSister Fri 18-Sep-09 22:21:56

Ha! I did the same thing myself the other day! Dashed to pick up the phone in case it was something important only to find some automated twat telling something I wasn't interested in.

Grrrrrrr!!!! Bloody hell!! angry

midlandsmumof4 Fri 18-Sep-09 22:26:21

Feel free to rant and rave all you like-until you press the button no-one can hear you grin.

Salleroo Fri 18-Sep-09 22:40:54

Do it all the time, no satisfaction though. I do get the occasional calls from window fitters in my neighbourhood etc and one actually hung up on me - cheeky scut. I was being quite civil and he was an old man, not some cheeky whipper snapper!

movingnow Fri 18-Sep-09 22:47:10

YANBU, don't usually get them but Thames Water are currently trying to sell me a £1 plumbing deal!

TrinityRhino Fri 18-Sep-09 22:53:40

they piss me off too
robot voices

but the straw that broke the camels back was yesterday when I tried to phone my late husbands life insurance phone to pass on my solicitors details so they could deal with him and the lady said she cant put a note on the account unless she talks to account holder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she had already said she was sorry for my loss

she knew...

I wasn't very polite

BitOfFundango Fri 18-Sep-09 22:55:27

Yell Telephone Preference Service at them- they hang up, even the robots. Weird, huh?

Meglet Fri 18-Sep-09 23:08:03

oh Trinity sad

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 18-Sep-09 23:11:24

Oh Trinty, fgs how insensitive. angry

You would think that a life insurance firm would have more sense.

Spacehoppa Fri 18-Sep-09 23:12:51

No entirely YANBU.
I frequently sneer at computers, cast aspersions on the parentage of vending machines and mock the inadequate performance of supermarket trolleys.

I think it is a good idea to keep them in their place-or they would have taken over by now.

random Fri 18-Sep-09 23:17:35

The press 1 for this and 2 for blah blah blah drives me insane ..I can't remember what they said I just want to speak to a frigging person!!!!

BitOfFundango Fri 18-Sep-09 23:20:02

Trinity, that is dreadful- I hope you have some good friends around you who can make a complaint on your behalf: I'd happily have the company's bollocks in a mangle for you.

valhala Fri 18-Sep-09 23:22:03

No, YANBU. Go for it! Shout, swear, curse... the idiots who came up with the damn idea may not hear it but it sure makes a person feel better!

I have a secret weapon when I get human cold-callers - my daughter, who has a scream which puts Dame Kiri in the shade.

Funny... they never ring back after I have passed the phone over to DD!

Trinity that is so so terrible

I get daily calls from "government schemes" offering me debt advice, (im not in debt hmm

It angers me, the robot talks, tells you to press *

I then give the phone to DD and she has a lovely chat with them.... hahahah

beaniesinthebucketagain Fri 18-Sep-09 23:24:05

what i hate even more is my phone banking! THEY WANT ME TO TALK AND THE ROBOT CANT EVEN UNDERSTAND ME SAYING YES AND NO!!!! LET ALONE MY ACCOUNT NUMBER AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!

YANBU!!!!!!

hate the stupid things, theres a crisis with a lack of jobs, sack the chuffing computers!

random Fri 18-Sep-09 23:36:18

Oh yes the I did not understand that..and me saying yessssssssss like an idiot

MrsChemist Fri 18-Sep-09 23:58:00

Tell them you're under 18 and your parents aren't home. Works every time.

needanothername Sat 19-Sep-09 00:25:02

I haven't read your post, just the title. I once swore at a robot voice and she said "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that" and reverted to the very beginning after I'd been answering her questions for half an hour. I wept. Not worth it.

hambler Sat 19-Sep-09 00:33:35

YABU .
you should never say that to anyone

Diziet Sat 19-Sep-09 11:11:07

grinI'm using public library internet and saw this and nearly had terrible mirth-induced underwear accident!! I must tell my husband, he's always doing things like that, at least he's not the only one. What a pain -and you're right, at that time of night you think it's got to be Very Bad News. What planet are these robots from?

SomeGuy Sat 19-Sep-09 16:16:27

I swear at the automated voice recognition systems that banks use. I refuse to talk to machines. Best thing with those is to press all the buttons on your phone and there is an 'angry person detection' system that puts you through to a human being.

Itsjustafleshwound Sat 19-Sep-09 16:32:56

c&p from TPS website:

Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of a UK based company, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against TPS before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number. We do make the file available to overseas based companies under licence for the purpose of suppression so they know whom not to telephone but many overseas companies who telephone the UK on their own account from overseas do so to avoid legal and self regulatory restrictions. We would advise caution in responding to unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls from overseas especially if they are asking you to send them money or using a premium rate phone line (numbers beginning with 09). If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas you should contact the overseas company who is making the call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now