Talk

Advanced search

To be a little irked at DS' teacher

(9 Posts)
splodge2001 Fri 18-Sep-09 20:57:00

DS was not in a good mood today when I picked him up from school. He told me that a friend had made him miss his treat this afternoon.

DS has just started Yr 3 and his male teacher has a little bit of a reputation as being an ok guy but strict.

It turns out that a friend of DS related a story about the girls in the class getting changed for PE in the wrong place and DS and another boy were giggling about it.

DS and the other two boys were told they would miss their afternoon treat which was a film. Ok you might say but....they were made to sit facing the wall for the duration of the film in silence.

Hmm is this normal chastisement for 7yr olds or did he go a bit far? I'm in 2 minds about speaking to the teacher/head about it.

dmo Fri 18-Sep-09 21:00:22

guess he wont do it again grin
prob rather do that than write lines out for 2hrs

ILoveGregoryHouse Fri 18-Sep-09 21:01:44

I think this is a bit far tbh. A better chastisement would have been to exclude them altogether, not have them singled out in the room and possibly embarassed and humiliated. You're not saying he shouldn't have been punished, just the method, right? My brother was made an example of in his classroom at the age of 5 when he was playing the clown. His teacher made him sit in the corner facing the wall. For a week. My mum is still upset about it now and he's 37! She wishes she'd stood up for him. I would talk to the teacher about it now, though, not the Head.

cleaningsucks Fri 18-Sep-09 21:01:55

inappropriate punishment in my opinion. and i am strict.

hercules1 Fri 18-Sep-09 21:04:34

Who could have supervised them instead? Sorry, sounds a fair punishment.

Goblinchild Fri 18-Sep-09 21:06:07

I'm a strict teacher. grin
Check the school's discipline policy, there should be a listed hierarchy of sanctions to be followed in order.
I'd be surprised if internal exclusion for an hour was one of the first choices. Ours starts with verbal warning, moving name, miss a break or a part of break, in another class for a period of time...etc.
So the teacher should follow the agreed behaviour policy.
Also check with the teacher what exactly happened, as a separate concern. Maybe your son didn't tell you all!

hocuspontas Fri 18-Sep-09 21:06:26

By keeping them in the classroom showed the est of the class that the teacher means business!

cookielove Fri 18-Sep-09 21:09:51

that is upsetting, makes me feel so sad for your poor ds sad

splodge2001 Fri 18-Sep-09 21:11:22

Hmm I can see this is splitting the class! Yes ILOVEGREGORYHOUSE - It's the method

They've had a speech about being in the juniors now and how it's all different and the teacher is trying to stamp out chatting and other low level disruption right from the start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now