Talk

Advanced search

Throwing out toys that were gifts to DC

(12 Posts)
ThingumyandBob Fri 18-Sep-09 16:21:59

I have 1 DD, I was rather irked when relatives of my OH arranged for my DD to be given a rocking horse, I know this sounds rather mean of me but we live in a tiny house and I have been tripping over the damn things ever since it arrived!

Anyway, now that DD is big enough to play on it the horse has started to fall apart. It?s just nastily made, this annoys me as I hate toys that are thrown together just to make money!

I feel sorry that the relatives have spent money on something that is badly made but it?s just not safe to play on?.I can?t talk to them about it as OH and I don?t have a great relationship with them.

AIBU if I just take the plunge and take the RH to the local tip?.?

PortBlacksandResident Fri 18-Sep-09 16:23:34

Take it to the local A&E dept for kids - unless it's too tatty it's dangerous of course. They can't really argue with that!

ChunkyMonkeysMum Fri 18-Sep-09 16:24:23

Go for it !! If it's as unsafe as you say, then get rid.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 18-Sep-09 16:24:25

just take it to the tip.

You don't need to feel bad if it's a useless toy that is falling apart, just because it was a gift.

beaniesinthebucketagain Fri 18-Sep-09 16:27:01

YANB- but im in the small house situation with two under 2 so i get where your coming from. my mum got ds the mamas and papas rocking ladybird hes had it his whole life and has never once gone near it, tried putting him on it and its far to wide for my tall 2yo!!! SO its been in the loft and is going, and if it was falling it apart it would have been tipped long ago! luckily my mums close to me and understood it had been pointless!

LittleMissNosey Fri 18-Sep-09 16:37:33

Sell the good stuff. I have just sold a lot of unwanted things on Ebay and made enough money to fund christmas!

Don't feel guilty - tell yourself we are in the grips of a recession and needs must wink

YANBU

pigletmania Fri 18-Sep-09 16:42:00

get rid of it, if its unsafe than your childs safety goes above and beyound anyones feelings.

stealthsquiggle Fri 18-Sep-09 16:53:24

If you want to make yourself feel better, you could try putting an advert on freecycle and see if someone else has houseroom and the time and patience to sort it out.

Then if you get no takers you could take it to the tip with a free conscience!

Firawla Fri 18-Sep-09 20:17:08

yanbu, you accepted the toy, you had it a while and its now falling apart so fine to get rid. they dont need to know anyway, if they ask just tell them its been through too much wear and tear now from ur dd or something

curiositykilled Fri 18-Sep-09 20:19:19

YANBU - If it is still alright or fixable you should take it to be recycled though.

Heated Fri 18-Sep-09 20:23:34

It's falling to bits & is unsafe so throw it away - whether it's been loved or not is immaterial.

ThingumyandBob Fri 18-Sep-09 20:41:53

Thank you! I shall have to take the plunge and go off to the dump, I like the freecycle/recycle idea but I’d hate the thought of it causing injury to a chid…

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now