Talk

Advanced search

to want a simple "thanks"

(29 Posts)
MermaidSpam Fri 18-Sep-09 00:00:49

Is it just me or does everyone else hate it when they take loads of time replying to someone on MN and they don't thank you for the effort?

I'm not talking about little snippets or advice, but proper, "ok, hear's how you do it" posts.

I would always thank anyone for taking the time out of their day to help me, so AIBU to expect the same in return?

volunteervole Fri 18-Sep-09 00:16:01

No, I agree with you MermaidSpam
Thank you for posting!

MermaidSpam Fri 18-Sep-09 00:18:13

Ha ha! And thank you volunteervole for replying grin

PandaEis Fri 18-Sep-09 00:21:24

mermaidspam YANBU imo i tend to offer alot of advice and i seem to be largely ignoredhmm never mind a bit of thanks i just would like to not be the invisible thread killer for oncegrin thanks for bringing it upsmile
any particular thread in mind??

MermaidSpam Fri 18-Sep-09 00:23:24

this one

MermaidSpam Fri 18-Sep-09 00:24:15

I know how you feel Panda!

thumbwitch Fri 18-Sep-09 00:28:03

what's even worse is when you spend ages typing up a really helpful reply, it is apparently ignored, and then someone posts almost exactly the same stuff later and gets thanked for it instead of you! That really gets my goat.

And thank you for starting this thread to allow me to vent that.wink

MermaidSpam Fri 18-Sep-09 00:31:32

grin
Glad to be of service!
x

SomeGuy Fri 18-Sep-09 00:38:30

IMO you should find it reward enough to make the post, any thanks are just an afterglow to make you feel even better about yourself.

PandaEis Fri 18-Sep-09 00:47:50

thumbwitch im usually that girl too!! i seem to have my well meant advice ignore in favour of MNparrot repeating it and being rewarded with attention-crackershmm it is an MN bugbear of minesmile

BitOfFun Fri 18-Sep-09 00:53:33

My very first post on here (under a different name) I poured my heart out to share a situation which I thought would help. Nada. Zilch.

That OP is still on my shit list grin

PandaEis Fri 18-Sep-09 00:53:38

mermaid i see what you meansmile if it were me i would have thanked yousmile
someguy if i ask a question on here and people give advice or opinions i always say thakyou...its common decency no?

PandaEis Fri 18-Sep-09 00:54:55

wel i actually say thaNkyou but you know what i meangrin

thumbwitch Fri 18-Sep-09 00:59:59

oh ah, I've just looked at your thread - it might help you to know that the OP is in fact aspergic and therefore she has probably ignored your post on the grounds that she isn't going to be earning £20k and it therefore doesn't compute as relevant - not just ignoring it for the sake of it!

HTH you to feel a bit better, although of course this thread is entirely relevant to lots of other threads and OPs!

milknosugarplease Fri 18-Sep-09 01:58:59

it does SLIGHTLY annoy me, but im a relative newbie so cant really say it! (that it annoys me not thank you!)

whilst were all here, THANK you for replying to my posts especially my "anyone who has a nnany/aupair" one, that was A* advice!

they dissaper of my "threads im on" and i forget about them!!

milk

xxx

BitOfFun Fri 18-Sep-09 02:34:21

Stp doing the milk xxx thing though, honestly!

I mean this as a person who knows you and will always notice you here- it is something people on fluffy forums do! You will slip in with the hard nut always here posters if you drop that, honestly! wink

milknosugarplease Fri 18-Sep-09 09:12:04

am actually quite upset that i'm becoming a *shock horror* bounty person!

discoball Fri 18-Sep-09 09:29:51

No, YANBU, it is simply good manners to acknowledge a reply - you can at least do a general "thanks everyone" at the end of a post and maybe respond individually to someone who's put in a lot of effort to a reply! I always respond (or try to)!! smile

MermaidSpam Fri 18-Sep-09 12:26:32

Thanks Thumbwitch - didn't know that.

Cheers everyone, am not so unreasonable after all!

milknosugarplease Fri 18-Sep-09 13:24:04

spam hows work going? x

MermaidSpam Fri 18-Sep-09 23:57:07

Fine hun, she's been ridiculously nice to me last 2 days! Fingers crossed!

How's things with you?

Tinfoil Sat 19-Sep-09 01:32:01

It's always nice to be thanked, and reasonable to hope for thanks, but IMHO there's a difference between that and expecting to be thanked, which will often lead to disappointment.

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 19-Sep-09 01:41:25

aww the OP of that thread is lovely.

She drove over to me (and it's about 1 1/2hrs drive iirc) earlier this year, picked up a van (which she paid for as it had to be in her name the credit card - and then I paid her the money back) and spent the entire day helping me and one of my RL friends moving furniture.

And then she found me an organist for DS3's Christening as well.

milknosugarplease Sat 19-Sep-09 01:52:51

well at least that's something!...if she does start, then give her hell kid wink

things are ok thank you 'cept my dad (i still live at home) seems to have the dreaded swine flu...seems only a matter of time before i have it!

what does the weekend hold for spam?

MermaidSpam Sat 19-Sep-09 12:02:29

Oh no! Hope he's ok?!
Not much doing this weekend. DD is at my Mum's tonight so lots of lovely sleep is in order!
You?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now