Talk

Advanced search

to fcuking hate

(32 Posts)
geordieminx Thu 17-Sep-09 22:15:43

itunes?

Thats it really. For years I resisted the urge to buy one and made do with simple mp3 players that you simply dragged and dropped the music on.

Last month I sucumbed and bought a nano, and god do I hate it. Dp plugged it into his work computer big mistake - it knacked everything, and had to be reformatted.

I'm trying to burn some songs to cd for our wedding but jesus you would think I was trying to re-write the laws of physics.

Arghhhhhhh

siouxsieandthebanshees Thu 17-Sep-09 22:51:32

uugh it took me months to 'fill' mine up. then it blew up. angry

MrsMellowdrummer Fri 18-Sep-09 10:02:35

Apple is a bad bad word in our house...

mummygirl Fri 18-Sep-09 10:09:40

I'm with MrsMellowdrummer

ginnny Fri 18-Sep-09 10:19:34

Couldn't agree more. I love my Nano, but it pisses me off that I can't download from anywhere except Itunes. I used to nick download free stuff from Limewire. Can't do that anymore.

bradsmissus Fri 18-Sep-09 10:23:52

Me too (jumps on bandwagon!).

I love my iPod but iTunes is just too darn complicated.

Thinking of giving it to DD and going back to a stnadard MP3.

Bleh Fri 18-Sep-09 10:39:55

Hm. I still manage to download from Limewire and get it onto iTunes. Maybe check where your limewire files are being saved to?

My chief gripe is that they have a special Apple version that you download from iTunes, which only iTunes can play, so you can't share music with non-iTunes using friends (chiefly DP, who uses Samsung or some such malarky).

Bleh Fri 18-Sep-09 10:41:09

Another thing, for limewire, check that it's not wma files you're downloading, but rather just download mp3. wma only works on Windows Media Player, whereas MP3 plays on all (wow. This actually is starting to sound like I know what I'm talking about, which I don't).

PinkTulips Fri 18-Sep-09 10:42:11

get a creative zen or a sony walkman instead.... way better

ginnny Fri 18-Sep-09 10:56:52

Thanks bleh. So do you just drag all your limewire files into your itunes library or do you have to do something to convert them first?
Its all too darn complicated for me.

SignoraRubyrubyruby Fri 18-Sep-09 10:59:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SignoraRubyrubyruby Fri 18-Sep-09 10:59:34

geordieminx Fri 18-Sep-09 11:15:21

I was trying to burn to cd last night and every time it said that that itunes couldnt find the track so I had to manually go into the folder and "show" it where it was... bahhhhh

SignoraRubyrubyruby Fri 18-Sep-09 11:33:35

geordieminx Fri 18-Sep-09 11:43:09

I can see why, itunes isnt exactly cheap is it? 99p for most of the tracks - cds are still cheaper - plus you can have cd in car, and also tunes on ipod.

Grrr

BadgersPaws Fri 18-Sep-09 11:52:15

Most of the music that iTunes now sells should be DRM free, that means that it doesn’t have the protection on it that used to mean that you could only play it on an iPod. So they should work on other music players.

You can also buy music from other places that offer it DRM free in MP3 format, for example Amazon. Once you’ve downloaded the track “drag” it into iTunes and then it all should just work…

BadgersPaws Fri 18-Sep-09 11:53:48

Well that was a good first post.... Let's try again...

Most of the music that iTunes now sells should be DRM free, that means that it doesn't have the protection on it that used to mean that you could only play it on an iPod. So they should work on other music players.

You can also buy music from other places that offer it DRM free in MP3 format, for example Amazon. Once you've downloaded the track "drag" it into iTunes and then it all should just work.

nickschick Fri 18-Sep-09 13:05:29

I dont know how he does it but ds1 has half filled his ipod with tunes not from itunes - shall ifound out how hes done it for you?

OrmIrian Fri 18-Sep-09 13:14:25

<smug little smile>

I lurve my MP3 player and it's never knackered my laptop.

Bleh Fri 18-Sep-09 13:35:34

Ginny - no, somehow they just managed to find their way there, though initially I did have to move them across. I have a Mac, so it might be slightly different in PCs, but that's what I would go for.

ginnny Fri 18-Sep-09 13:43:45

Oh well when I first put Iphones on all my music just appeared on it and I thought it was that easy. Since then any new stuff I get from Limewire just won't go across.
I'll try again using mp3 files instead of wma ones.
Why does it have to be so difficult?

BadgersPaws Fri 18-Sep-09 13:44:29

In general to get any music from your computer onto your iPod do the following:

1) Run iTunes
2) Find the file on your computer

Then import it by doing doing one of these things:
3a) Drag the file into the iTunes Window and release it
3b) On the Windows version of iTunes select Import from the File menu and browse to where the file is located.

It will then appear as any other tune does within iTunes and you can get it on to your iPod.

One thing to be aware of if you're using the Windows version of iTunes is that I believe that by default iTunes won't actually copy the file, it'll just remember where it is. If you then delete the file iTunes won't be able to play it. That's often the source of those "file could not be found" messages that someone mentioned earlier.

A common cause of that is also if someone gives you a memory stick with the music on and you drag it into iTunes and then remove the memory stick and give it back. When iTunes tries to play the music it will try and find it on the stick, which won't be there, so it will complain.

You can change that default behaviour and make iTunes take an actual copy of the file, meaning it will always be available if you delete the original or remove the memory stick. As a default the Mac version of iTunes does that but the Windows one can be told to do it. Give me a poke if you want to know how.

I've gone on for far too long now

midnightexpress Fri 18-Sep-09 13:45:51

I have no idea about even simple MP3 players Geordie, but that Apple store in Buchanan Street is like a cult HQ. You go in to ask for some small thing and they want to know your name, address, mother's maiden name, what colour knickers you're wearing. And then you have to watch the Big Scary Screen for your time to come up. Big Brother had nothing on Apple Inc.
<swivels eyes to check if they're coming for her yet>

ginnny Fri 18-Sep-09 13:48:15

Thanks Badgers Paws. You are clever!
I'm such a dunce about these things.
grin

geordieminx Fri 18-Sep-09 13:53:26

Oooh Badger if you could tell me how to change itunes so that it takes a copy then that would be great as all of our music is stored on an external harddrive so that would be very useful and stop future hissy fits problems

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now