Talk

Advanced search

to be fuming women sabotage other momens basic rights?

(8 Posts)
StoryTime Thu 17-Sep-09 21:13:29

When for example female employers wonder whether their pontentional emploees are fertile?? And wishing to get applications from menopausal women?

PortBlacksandResident Thu 17-Sep-09 21:18:57

My friend owns a small business and one of her employees wants her to employ her daughter (she is looking for new staff). But said daughter has a toddler and is actively trying for a baby. My friend's small business may suffer with maternity leave etc. - unfair maybe but that's how it is.

I'm not sure how her being a woman employer makes any difference though - surely the same accusation and possibly more could be levelled at men?

isittooearlyforgin Thu 17-Sep-09 21:23:19

think it is a problem the government should tackle as small businesses get hit hard so they need some protection through the state otherwise their reaction is to not employ women of childbearing age (my uncle in law...is that a bonofide term? has a small company with exactly that unwritten policy) which just makes life harder for women.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Thu 17-Sep-09 21:25:43

I know what you mean StoryTime, I was once asked by a female employer in my interview whether I was "planning" any more children as I had a 4 month old baby at the time.

Bloody cheek I think, as it is actually none of their business, but I can see why they ask. TBH, I would always say no, regardless of my plans, if I really want the job. Not much they can do if you fall pregnant when you're actually working for them !!

LadyPinkofPinkerton Thu 17-Sep-09 21:27:24

YABU thread about a thread!!

Although I agree that it is terrible to say you will not hire someone young and fertile.

2rebecca Thu 17-Sep-09 21:27:25

I think the large amount of maternity pay employers are expected to pay for is a burden on small businesses. It's not just the money, it's the fact that a temporary member of staff is rarely as good as the person they are replacing, they rarely have the experience. I think women have shot themselves in the foot a bit with this one as small businesses will regard young fertile women less favourably.

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 17-Sep-09 21:37:27

What I find shocking is that it is usually women who are most vocal about not wishing to employ other women of child bearing age, or feel that it's OK to ask during an interview about child care arrangements or plans for (more) children. In fact I know women who are on interview panels who are specifically told to ask the female candidates these questions as it appears not to be sexist if coming from a woman hmm

Yes, it can be a burden to small businesses, but 90% of SMP is paid by the government.

One of my colleagues made some snide comment about my maternity pay, and the time I had taken off, and I asked him, 'who do you think is going to be paying for your pension? It's probably not going to be a reserve, but working people like my kids, funding it...'

It just isn't a bean for bean approach. It should be viewed as a contribution rather than a burden in ay case.

2rebecca Thu 17-Sep-09 21:46:48

It's OK to ask about childcare if you ask all interviewees regardless of sex about childcare. It can be relevent. Expecting your boss to be sympathetic if you ask them for time off for a sick child when you haven't been willing to discuss this issue at interview is a bit unreasonable.
If I had an interview I usually volunteered stuff about my childcare arrangements even if I wasn't asked. I thought it showed I appreciated that children can sometimes encroach upon your ability to do your job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now