Talk

Advanced search

to be so peeved that we spend approx £1400 a month on childcare

(676 Posts)
couture1 Thu 17-Sep-09 16:44:26

I know I have to pay for the service but it leaves me with little left over each month and we need to salaries to get by. I dont want to give up work as 1 cant afford to and 2 Im hoping that when 3dc are at school in 3 years time we will be better off each month - but how do we manage until then?

Rant rant rant

Katisha Thu 17-Sep-09 16:49:37

What sort of childcare is this? Nursery?

juuule Thu 17-Sep-09 16:50:07

Do you mean that you need more to get by than the little that is left over each month?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 17-Sep-09 16:52:35

YABU.

You chose to have children and work and put them in this childcare arrangement.

couture1 Thu 17-Sep-09 16:53:10

Two in nursery and one in after school club. Yes, I need more money to get by, if my childcare costs were less then I would be able to manage.

Katisha Thu 17-Sep-09 16:53:24

If it's nursery then childminder will almost certainly be cheaper. And quite possibly more flexible.

mumblecrumble Thu 17-Sep-09 16:55:47

Any possibility either of you could work shifts?

Only way we cope [with only 1 kiddie!] is that we work shifts so often play pass the baby. WHile I;m at work DH has her etc. So less need for outside childcare.

Isn;t there something that says you can ask for more flexible hours.

Thanks God school is free...

AnnieLobeseder Thu 17-Sep-09 16:58:02

I get so annoyed by people blithely saying that we should just accept childcare costs if we choose to have children. Utter rubbish! Childcare in the UK is way more expensive than pretty much anywhere else in the world and prices most working women out of the market if they have two nursery age DCs. It's not right and it's not fair on women as their careers suffer more than they should due to extended leave.

I feel your pain, I'm in the same position. After being stuck at home for 18 months cos I couldn't afford childcare for two on my salary, I'm finally going back to work on Monday now that a) I've got a better paid job and b) DD1 has started school. But what I bring home will be fairly negligible.

couture1 Thu 17-Sep-09 17:00:01

Fabakergirl - because we cant afford to live off one salary, are you suggesting we should not have decided to have children?

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 17-Sep-09 17:01:49

but Annie, surely it is expensive as the people caring for the children are now being paid a reasonable amount of money?

BonsoirAnna Thu 17-Sep-09 17:02:11

I don't think it's true that same-quality childcare is much more expensive in the UK than in the ROW. From everything I read here on MN, the quality of childcare is a lot better in the UK than here in France. MNers would not be impressed with the crèches or nounous here sad

CarGirl Thu 17-Sep-09 17:02:55

would a live out nanny be cheaper? I worked it out and it was a little bit cheaper BUT they also do duties such as childrens' washing, prepare meals etc and you no longer have the stress of dropping off at nursery & school etc etc

Katisha Thu 17-Sep-09 17:03:42

Look into using a childminder instead. My boys have been to the same one for 7 years now.

PrincessToadstool Thu 17-Sep-09 17:03:52

YABU, I would not suggest you shouldn't have children but it's the same for everyone. You choose to live within your means. I can't afford 4 children so I won't be having 4.

PeedOffWithNits Thu 17-Sep-09 17:05:50

find a cheap, unregistered childminder, who has no first aid training and breaks all the regs on how many kids she is allowed....after all cheapest is best, right hmm

or just look after them yourself and make some lifestyle changes, cut down on luxuries

plenty of us make that choice

eleveld Thu 17-Sep-09 17:06:40

Hi

I haven't actually got children (yet, still hoping!) but the one thing I have heard quite a bit is the child minders are cheaper than nurseries - is that possibly an option to explore?

Otherwise I can't think of any other useful advice other than grin and bear it through the next 3 years! Sorry! smile

I would just ignore comments from people like FabBakerGirlIsBack - not worth responding to.

Katisha Thu 17-Sep-09 17:07:32

What are you trying to say PeedOff?

My childminder is bloody marvellous.

PrincessToadstool Thu 17-Sep-09 17:08:38

PeedOff that's an odd post.

diddl Thu 17-Sep-09 17:09:15

Would a childminder be better or nanny share?

But I do think that people shouldn´t begrudge the money they pay for childcare.

Many seem to want to pay as little as possible-to have their children well cared for!

CarGirl Thu 17-Sep-09 17:10:24

I think PeedOff is implying that only unregistered childminders are cheaper than nurseries and NOT to use them because it's not a sensible thing to do.

PrincessToadstool Thu 17-Sep-09 17:11:26

eleveld wtf? How is that FBG said not worth responding to - the OP has made a choice, hasn't she?

How rude to say someone's post is not worth responding to.

Did MNHQ put you in charge of AIBU?

Katisha Thu 17-Sep-09 17:11:27

But it's not the case that only unregistered childminders are cheaper than nurseries.

I'm pretty sure proper childminders in general are.

PeedOffWithNits Thu 17-Sep-09 17:12:38

I know MOST childminders are FAB, some of my mates are excellent....I was having a go at people who want cheap cheap childcare, as if that is ALL that matters.

ignore me, bad day

PrincessToadstool Thu 17-Sep-09 17:13:07

Registered childminders where I live are certainly cheaper than nurseries. For a start you pay for the hours you are going to use rather than sessions.

AnnieLobeseder Thu 17-Sep-09 17:13:20

But what's the point of having this super-duper childcare if no-one can afford it but bankers lawyer and accountants?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now