Talk

Advanced search

To think that £76 is a lot to pay just to keep your name on a list?

(25 Posts)
MavisEnderby Thu 17-Sep-09 12:47:08

Well,I am a bit,and can see the point of keeping within your professional registration,but it seems quite a lot of money to shell out in one go,every year!

Do all professionals have to register their professional status,and pay for it,annually?

Twinsmommy Thu 17-Sep-09 13:02:09

I work for lawyers and know that they do have to register their professional status and pay for it annually (I think it's a lot more than £76 also).

Not sure what your profession is, exactly...

Hulababy Thu 17-Sep-09 13:04:55

Solicitors do, although most firms pay this for them I think

Teachers do, to the GTC - paid individually by teachers

AvadaKedavra Thu 17-Sep-09 13:06:33

I am but a lowly Registered Childminder and yes I have to pay a yearly fee to be allowed to practise. Far cheaper than £76 though

UnquietDad Thu 17-Sep-09 13:07:39

As someone who does some part-time adult education teaching, I am always irritated at having to be a member of the Institute For Learning - who, as far as I am concerned, do nothing for me and have bugger-all to do with "learning".

They also have the most user-unfriendly website I have ever encountered. It seems to have been designed by demented monkeys on acid.

KIttyWalker Thu 17-Sep-09 13:07:45

Dr's, nurses, dentists - I think you'll find most professions do and it's more than £76!

AvadaKedavra Thu 17-Sep-09 13:08:08

Accountants do.

addictedtomn Thu 17-Sep-09 13:08:44

well i'm a cm and like avada i do and my h is a accountant and he also does, but its lots more than £76

KIttyWalker Thu 17-Sep-09 13:09:25

Sorry Nurses - £76! Dr's pay more

KIttyWalker Thu 17-Sep-09 13:11:16

For Dr's it's £410!!! shock

LastTrainToNowhere Thu 17-Sep-09 13:19:27

Architects have to pay an annual registration fee too and it's way more than £76.

famishedass Thu 17-Sep-09 13:21:58

It should be tax deductable though, if that helps

BitOfFun Thu 17-Sep-09 13:22:02

I think counsellors have to pay three hundred-odd quid if I remember rightly. Always seemed like a racket to me.

MavisEnderby Thu 17-Sep-09 13:22:34

Thanks all

I guess it is all relative as architects,docs,lawyers etc all earn more than lowly nurses.It is quite costly as I have 2 young children hence work pt and am main breadwinner as OH disabled,so it is a lot to find in 1 go and afaik you can't pay it in dribs and drabs by dd.Thought I was doing ok this month until reg letter came through door,eek!

Rhumba Thu 17-Sep-09 13:26:20

just wrote a cheque for £153 this morning! that is for two year though but just paid for consents and building insurance last month and this month have car service, MOT, Insurance and tax!!

it's a bit of a hit.

trixymalixy Thu 17-Sep-09 13:27:14

Yep, except it's about 10 times that cost!!!!!!

MollieO Thu 17-Sep-09 13:29:16

Mine is about 15x that cost but fortunately my employer pays it as I need it for my job.

flowerybeanbag Thu 17-Sep-09 13:30:58

My professional membership is about £120.

stickylittlefingers Thu 17-Sep-09 13:33:05

Is there any possibility that it would be reduced for part timers. I am on several such professional registers (funny career path) and I remember seeing that at least some of them do have reduced fees for particular circs. Might be worth a phone call?

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Thu 17-Sep-09 13:37:33

Message withdrawn

Raeray Thu 17-Sep-09 23:40:35

ooh yes I agree, I've just practically choked on the phone paying my £76. I asked when I phoned whether it could be divided into smaller monthly payments - and the answer was no! I think its a cheek considering nurses dont exactly get a massive wage.

Treeesa Thu 17-Sep-09 23:56:38

to KIttyWalker - Yes the GMC fee of £410 is extortionate.. Obviously GPs have a much higher disposable income than nurses - though that doesn't explain how one registration system costs/charges five times more than the other..

As a nurse the thing that got my back up is when I had to pay for car parking at work. Not only that but the car parks are so full that there is not enough spaces for staff to park, and consequently I've had two parking tickets in the last 12 months while on the ward..!

These things when added up do hurt you..

alypaly Thu 17-Sep-09 23:57:49

pharmacists are about £600 pa or so im told

ravenAK Fri 18-Sep-09 00:05:49

GTC for teachers.

Don't get me started on that one!

It's not the money. I don't care if it's 50p or £500.

It's the being asked to pay for a redundant yet compulsary regulatory body, which disingenuously promotes itself as safeguarding our interests, yet is held in pretty much universal contempt by its 'membership'.

Grrr grrr grrr angry.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 18-Sep-09 00:08:51

I'm a structural engineer and my professional fees are over £240 a year..... I would LOVE to only have to pay £76!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now