Talk

Advanced search

Leaving hospital with your baby

(59 Posts)
NannyTee Thu 17-Sep-09 12:27:38

My daughter has been told she needs a car seat for her 5 weeks old son in order for them to let him home - seems reasonable enough only neither my daughter, her partner, myself, our close family or friends own a car!!! My daughter has everything she needs for her baby except a car seat that she doesn't need!!! What is the reasoning behind this? You used to be able to just wrap up a baby and walk out with him on the day of discharge - he's not even newly born - he's been in hospital for 5 weeks!!

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 17-Sep-09 12:29:16

HOw will they be getting home?

LilRedWG Thu 17-Sep-09 12:30:08

If they are walking home it won't be a problem, but if they are using a taxi they will need a car seat.

Rhian82 Thu 17-Sep-09 12:33:26

Oh, things just say that because they assume you have a car. If he's not being driven home they will be fine to let them leave without a car seat.

If, however, they're getting a taxi then they'll need one - can they borrow one?

Bathsheba Thu 17-Sep-09 12:33:55

We had a couple in my ante natal class who were the same - they cycled everywhere and didn't own a car.

If she is planning on walking home, that is fine, but if she is going to take any form of transport home, whether it is in a relative's car, or a taxi she will need to at least borrow a car seat for that trip.

NannyTee Thu 17-Sep-09 12:33:55

well actually after being in there for this long she was really looking forward to using the pram - I just think its a bit off that they have finally agreed to release him tomorrow and now I will have to go out and buy a car seat that will just sit there for ever more!!

lynniep Thu 17-Sep-09 12:35:28

a lot of hospitals have this policy. I understand it but it does seem excessive when many people dont run cars. is there any way you can borrow one from somewhere?

miamla Thu 17-Sep-09 12:35:51

why on earth are you buying a car seat for him? just tell them that you won't be using a car!

DaisymooSteiner Thu 17-Sep-09 12:37:06

Some midwives/hospitals seem to be under the mistaken impression that they can prevent someone leaving hospital with their baby because they don't have a car seat. Your daughter is perfectly entitled to just walk out with her baby unless they have a court order preventing them.

Of course if she is going to use a taxi it would be wise to have a carseat.

Rindercella Thu 17-Sep-09 12:38:10

Has your daughter actually discussed this with the hospital and told them that she is not transporting her DS home by car?

NannyTee Thu 17-Sep-09 12:42:48

Miamla!! my point exactly!!! I just said to her arrive with your pram - and go - she's panicking now - it's her first - she's young!!

Have put out feelers to maybe borrow a car seat - we'll see if we can come up with that first - just makes me so frustrated to assume that everybody drives!!!

DaisyMooSteiner - maybe we'll just have to go in disguise and bust her out!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!!

StealthPolarBear Thu 17-Sep-09 12:44:51

where are you? If you're anywhere near me you can borrow mine - will kill two birds with one stone as no doubt I'll go into labour when car seat less!!
Has she asked why she needs a car seat??

Buda Thu 17-Sep-09 12:44:53

Just tell them that none of you drive or have cars so a car seat won't be necessary are baby will be safely transported home in a pram. If that is what will happen.

PlasticWoman Thu 17-Sep-09 12:45:03

The hospital cannot refuse to let your daughter leave without a car seat. If she is walking home, it doesn't matter how she gets there. With taxis, under the 2006 regulations, a child under 3 does not have to wear a restraint in a taxi if there isn't one available, so a baby can be worn in a sling, with the adult then seat-belted in.

lal123 Thu 17-Sep-09 12:45:26

How on earth would they stop her from leaving?

Pyrocanthus Thu 17-Sep-09 12:46:09

Just roll up with the pram. They're just trying to stop people from walking out of the hospital into a car with the babe in their arms, surely?

Ewe Thu 17-Sep-09 12:47:14

I have one that I no longer use if you're in London. Agree though, if he isn't going in the car, it isn't necessary!

StealthPolarBear Thu 17-Sep-09 12:48:23

Congratulations OP, btw, on the birth of your GS and hope his homecoming goes smoothly

miamla Thu 17-Sep-09 12:48:51

what about if you phone the hospital to double check on her behalf?

NannyTee Thu 17-Sep-09 13:03:22

I think I will ring them actually - Lewisham Hospital is where she is - we live in Blackfriars - personally I'd rather her come home in a taxi anyway, bless her she's itching to use the pram after waiting all this time - he was gastroscisis - now she's looking at cheap car seats just to conform!!!!!
Thanks for all this help!!!! will let you know how I get on!!!

tethersend Thu 17-Sep-09 13:05:24

Get a black cab- they are prebookable and you can roll the pram straight in, no carseat required.

tethersend Thu 17-Sep-09 13:05:50

And congratulations smile

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 17-Sep-09 13:09:26

Message withdrawn

Ewe Thu 17-Sep-09 13:14:52

Nanny, if you don't want to spend the money I have a barely used Mothercare one you can have if you could pick up from Waterloo tomorrow morning, email me on justcallmeewe@googlemail.com if you want.

girlsyearapart Thu 17-Sep-09 13:18:11

Or if she was part of an NCT group or similar surely one of her group has a seat she could borrow for that journey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now