Talk

Advanced search

WWYD?

(16 Posts)
crazylizzy Thu 17-Sep-09 12:20:38

Last Sunday I found a lump sad Been trying to get to my GP every day this week, they have one of those "ring at 8am to get an appointment for that day" system.

Failed misrebally to get an appointment despite ringing non-stop from 7.55am every day this week. Finally got one for this morning for 10.15am. DD finishes school at 11am.

Got to clinic by 10am. Waited until 10.55am and told them I really had to go and get DD from school and could I come back as soon as I'd picked her up, they said surgery was full, no sorry and that I would just have to ring back tomorrow and try my chances at getting appointment but chances as slim as the surgery is particularly busy Mondays and Fridays (hers words not mine)

Was late picking up DD (don't drive, had to peg it on foot) which made me feel even more sad as it's her first few weeks in school.

Just got home, rang DH sobbing my eyes out. I really can't endure yet another night of worry that makes me feel almost physically sick and I have barely slept all week.

DH says that I should go to out of hours surgery in local hospital. I just want to see a god damn doctor and get a medical opinion. WWYD?
By the way, you have to check found [URL=http://myfxadvice.com]managed forex trading[/URL]

crazylizzy Thu 17-Sep-09 12:22:16

Please ignore the link, think its a virus on my PC angry

pasturesnew Thu 17-Sep-09 12:23:12

If you are that upset then yes, go to the out of hours surgery. You might be sat about waiting for hours but if the alternative is no sleep and terrible worry it's worth it.

BTW this comment is entirely based on how upset you are and involves no comment at all on how likely it may be that the lump is anything to worry about, I hope it turns out to be fine.

deepdarkwood Thu 17-Sep-09 12:23:59

sad I'd be tempted to ring the surgery, explain the situation and say you really want to see someone today, what do they suggest.

Hope all goes well

norksinmywaistband Thu 17-Sep-09 12:24:32

I would ring the practice manager, insist on speaking to her explain what you have just said here including increased stress and anxiety and let them know that if you are not seen within 24 hours you will be complaining to the PCT

Hope all is ok and it is a worry over nothing - I went through this last year and the stress is awful

girlsyearapart Thu 17-Sep-09 12:31:27

same scenario at my surgery. I can sometimes get an apt if i'm at the door of the surgery about half an hour before opening time. With a queue of other poorly people,fun..

When they wouldn't give dd an apt after an allergic reaction after pharmacist said she urgently needed a prescription i went down there and loudly said she may have measles and hey presto she was seen 5 mins later.

totally not what you need at the mo but if you go down there and get cross/have a meltdown they will probably miraculously fit you in.

tbh i'd probably go to the hospital instead,you'll be wating longer but at least def get seen today. x

bumpsoon Thu 17-Sep-09 12:32:12

Ring them now ! Explain why you need an appointment ,dont take no for an answer ,can you get in for an end of surgery slot if they can do it ? If you dont feel like you have the energy /fight left cat me your drs and your details and i will gladly fight the good fight for you .

bumpsoon Thu 17-Sep-09 12:47:50

Seriously do not take no for an answer ,do not give up. Generally speaking and contrary to popular belief Drs receptionists are humans ,trying to do a difficult job . Rather than crying to your DH ,cry to them ,explain how terrified /upset you are ,most of them at some point will have had a friend /relative in your situation and will sympathise with your plight enough to help you as much as they can .

katiestar Thu 17-Sep-09 14:33:35

IRing them right now and insist they have a doctor ring you back today.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Thu 17-Sep-09 14:42:06

Please, please ring the surgery again & explain your situation to the receptionist.

I used to work as a Dr's receptionist & my Mum still does. We would always ask a Dr to see a patient who was clearly worried/upset about something like this.

Most GP's I have worked with have been happy to slot in the odd patient in these circumstances.

Please try again & let us know how you go.
Good luck.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Thu 17-Sep-09 14:44:04

Please also explain that you have tried every day to get an appointment, then when you finally got one, because they were running so late, you had to leave to pick up your DD.

Don't put the phone down until they agree to see you today !!

wheresmypaddle Thu 17-Sep-09 14:54:36

I agree with others -go to the surgery and explain what has happened and tell them why you want to see a doctor.

If they don't slot you in then don't be brave and don't take no for an answer- cry and be insistent.

If this doesn't work tell them the worry is seriously impacting on you- you can't sleep or concentrate and you have DD to look out for etc......

I know being insistent is the last thing you feel like doing but I think it will help and once the receptionist realises what has happened I feel sure they will help- don't leave until they do. Or take up Bumpsoons kind offer.

Hope its all a worry for nothing.

ElectricElephant Thu 17-Sep-09 14:57:42

agree - ring them and don't take no for an answer, but whatever you do don't be rude as they will immediately take this as premission to hang up on you.

I thought government guidelines stated that an appointment had to be made available to you within 2 days of the inital phone call, but I'm not sure on that one.

crazylizzy Thu 17-Sep-09 15:42:50

Thank you for all your replies, I went on your advice and rang the receptionist back and she told me to ring back at 4.30pm and she'll see if I can slot me in under the circumstances. She was very nice and understanding to be fair. She said if not she'll give me top priority for an appointment tomorrow, so worse case sinareo I have to wait until tomorrow. Thank you again, and bumpsoon, thank you for your kind offer.

girlsyearapart Thu 17-Sep-09 18:41:12

Thats good news Lizzy. Keep us posted x

dilemma456 Thu 17-Sep-09 19:16:21

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now