Talk

Advanced search

for being upset with my husbands choice in courses?

(15 Posts)
AphroditesGrannyNightie Wed 16-Sep-09 19:48:02

He is trying to get into a better mindset after long term depression.

We talked and he suggested a course to boost his confidence and future prospects.

We talked alot about teaching assistant and he sounded enthusiastic.

Hes just come home and signed up for a 'criminal psychology course'

hmm

cocolepew Wed 16-Sep-09 19:49:39

Oh that would be interesting, what's the problem?

AphroditesGrannyNightie Wed 16-Sep-09 19:51:04

Its just that I thought he was doing a teaching assistants couse because it fitted in with the type of thing he wanted to do, holidays off,

and now this seems really far off from his target and a bit useless!

londonone Wed 16-Sep-09 19:51:27

Why on earth would that upset you?

londonone Wed 16-Sep-09 19:52:24

What do you mean the sort of thing he wanted to do?

pushkar Wed 16-Sep-09 19:53:12

maybe he feels he want a better paid job in the long run teachers assistant are not paid a lot of money in general..

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 16-Sep-09 19:55:04

I don't see the problem.

He is doing something is in genuinely interested in so will be more likely to stick with it and enjoy it.

Lulubee Wed 16-Sep-09 19:55:31

I think good for him, he's seen something that interests him and gone for it - probably a very positive sign as far as his depression goes..?

nevergoogledragonbutter Wed 16-Sep-09 19:57:10

Does he have a plan of what he's going to do once he's finished the course?

LovelyTinOfSpam Wed 16-Sep-09 19:57:55

How long is the course?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 16-Sep-09 19:59:21

Sounds like a great course!

StayFrosty Wed 16-Sep-09 19:59:58

I think if this is something he is wanting to do for himself and his own interests then you have to let him have free reign, sorry.

scottishmummy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:15:07

your dh having autonomy,choice,interst are all positive factors in overcoming depression.

think about it
>he has expressed an interest
>has aspirations and hope of completion
>depression is a debilitating illness, sapping confidence and self esteem dont crush him by opposing the choice

do support him in his endeavours and praise this. it is a big step for him

TotalChaos Wed 16-Sep-09 20:21:43

whether you are being unreasonable depends I think on whether doing a criminal psychology course is likely to knacker you financially or not right now. In terms of future prospects - something that genuinely interests him is likely to be a better bet than something that doesn't interest him so much, however more practical it might seem in theory

mumeeee Thu 17-Sep-09 11:08:45

YABU. It's his choice and he chose to do that course. Doing a teching assitant course won't get him a very well paid job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now