Talk

Advanced search

AIBU

(12 Posts)
Hando Wed 16-Sep-09 13:10:10

My dd had an accident in Sainsburys yesterday. Nothing too serious, but it was very scary, we were walking along, slowly browsing when she just dropped to the floor -she slipped in the aisle and smacked her head on the concrete ground, hard! - She screamed one of those horrific mummy panicing screams, the whole store was looking, cue instant massive golf ball lump on her head and one very sick feeling mummy (me) she looked like she was going to pass out!

I picked her up and took her to the staff desk. The staff were nice and chatted to her as we sat down as she was feeling sick and weak and a bit distressed, but no first aider came. The checkout supervisor couldn't find the first aid kit for a compress or whatever they do for bumps so got a huge bag of frozen peas out of the freezer and loped that on dd's head! Dd was a bit as it was hurting her head! They didn't get me to record the accident in the "accident book" either. Also, most importantly - nobody actually went to check the aisle to see what is was she slipped on, so we don't actually know.

Of course my head was all in a tizz at the time and I was anxious about dd being concussed or similar so I didn't think it through until after we got home and dd was settled for bed.

AIBU to think it was all handled a little unprofessionally? Perhaps I'm just over thinking things? Should I send an email in to complain? Give me a kick if I'm being ott and I'll shut up and leave it. grin

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 16-Sep-09 13:12:18

No YANBU. They should have sent a first aider and at least checked out the aisle to make sure no one else could have an accident. I would write them a letter, hope your poor dd is better soon.x

angelene Wed 16-Sep-09 13:16:28

YANBU, I would send a note to the manager.

However I don't think they were being aggressive or obstructive, it sounds like they didn't know the correct procedures, so I wouldn't go in all guns blazing. Also say that you're following it up because you weren't really in a position to ensure they followed procedures as you were so worried about your DD.

Hope she's OK smile

hambler Wed 16-Sep-09 13:26:47

Sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she is okay now.
I would not send a complaining email. The staff were nice and the frozen peas was a sensible thing to do.

ElectricElephant Wed 16-Sep-09 13:29:15

frozen peas sounds fine, but they should have had a first-aider/first aid kit on hand. Write a letter to let the manager know of the incident. Agree with angelene - sounds like they don't know the procedures and maybe training is an issue.

Lozza70 Wed 16-Sep-09 13:30:03

Hope your wee girl is better and the bump is going down. Personally I would not send a complaint. It sounds like they generally handed it ok but I do think a first aider should have had a look. I would have grabbed a bag of peas for a bump like that as well. They would bring swelling down quicker than faffing around with a compress.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 16-Sep-09 13:31:26

You should write. Not complaining about the staff, they tried to be helpful. Its the management which is at fault; the training is obviously inadequate and the first aid kit should not be unavailable.

Hope your DD is ok now.

PeedOffWithNits Wed 16-Sep-09 13:31:41

hambler, peas are fine, i agree, but them not being able to find the first aid kit is alarming - what if someone needed more serious attention, eg for scald or bleeding?

also, they did not obey their own PROCEEDURE which is there to cover their backs against someone suing them, they SHOULD have taken as much detail from you as possible, and given you a copy of the form

they should also have advised you about the signs of concussion and suggested a trip to the Dr as a precaution

PinkTulips Wed 16-Sep-09 13:31:44

christ, my dd fell at a birthday party and got better first aid treatment than that shock

YANBU, for their own sakes they should cover their asses, a man died in a DIY store over here a few weeks ago from a bump on the head when a product fell on him

elmofan Wed 16-Sep-09 13:37:05

yanbu , i would write to them & express your concerns , your poor dd hope she is feeling better today smile

pinktulips , that man that was killed in the B&Q store , my dh worked with him , it was so sad sad , i think thats the shop you mean ?

posieparker Wed 16-Sep-09 13:44:30

Send a note to both the manager and HQ. You may even get a free weeks groceries.

Squishabelle Wed 16-Sep-09 13:52:40

I wouldnt send in a complaint. Hope your girl is now better. I think the staff concerned handled it well. Did your daughter actually slip on anything at all? My dc's used to regularly fall over nothing more than their own feet. Also does every shop have to have a qualified first aider? Certainly shops I have worked in havent. Maybe large stores are required to by law - I dont know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now