Talk

Advanced search

to have sent DD to school today?

(32 Posts)
RealityIsNOTDetoxing Wed 16-Sep-09 09:26:35

Message withdrawn

mmrsceptic Wed 16-Sep-09 09:29:24

If it wasn't for ballet I would say go and get her. Can she do ballet anyway?

mmrsceptic Wed 16-Sep-09 09:30:55

agree with the teacher about not giving in to the screaming though

well now i'm changing my mind

am no use to you at all

diarrhoea is the end of a bug so she shouldn't be sick

Drusilla Wed 16-Sep-09 09:33:17

But if she is ill then it won't the end of the world. They will ring you and you can go and get her.

Romanarama Wed 16-Sep-09 09:36:06

Doesn't matter. They call if she has an accident - get a change of clothes and some wipes ready to go grin

shinyshoes Wed 16-Sep-09 09:36:22

You can't go get her now disrupting the class, her being settled, in case she poos herself. That said I'm also thinking perhaps you should go get her because if she dosen't make it to the loo it could be embarressing for her.

The teacher should not have let her anywhere near the class if she has had a dodgy belly. Most schools have a strict 48 hour policy after sicness and/or dirrohea.
I know if I told my Ds teacher shed be frogmarching myself and Ds out of the school gates.

Difficult one

sunnydelight Wed 16-Sep-09 09:37:29

She's there now and the teacher is right, if you had taken her home your dd would have thought the way to get brought home is to scream, making the whole thing worse (I know, DS2 cried EVERY day for a year and half when I left!). BUT, you really shouldn't send a child to school within 24 hours of being sick or having diarrhoea - it't not fair on her (imagine how she would feel if she didn't make the loo on time in school) or the other kids.

We all make the wrong decisions sometimes though, there's no point beating yourself up about it.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Wed 16-Sep-09 09:37:44

Message withdrawn

AvadaKedavra Wed 16-Sep-09 09:41:52

Yes yabu sorry, 48hr rule and all that. Even though it was only one incident of the runs from what I read last night it was rather explosive.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Wed 16-Sep-09 09:44:43

Message withdrawn

Littlefish Wed 16-Sep-09 09:46:07

No, I don't think you should have sent her. Any incident of D or V should be an automatic 24 or 48 hours away from school (depending on the school policy).

The teacher is also at fault and should have asked you to take dd home as soon as she heard about the diarrhoea.

groundhogs Wed 16-Sep-09 09:48:01

Argh, the do I send them to school dilemma... every mum has to go through it, and you made the right choice.

It could have been a one-off, if it's not, the school will call you.

Either way school'll take her mind off it and hopefully the ballet will make her want to be well and stay for the after school class!

so no, YANBU smile

Jumente Wed 16-Sep-09 09:50:40

Reality, these situations are always a hard call especially if your child seems well. I agree she should not have gone in since it is so recently she had diarrhoea.
I'd have said today off at least to be on the safe side - it's a bit unpredictable.

She probably only had it because someone else sent their kid in ill in the first place, so you're not alone smile

Don't beat yourself up. I think now the teacher has told you what to do you need to leave it in their hands. There's not much you can do now iyswim.

Lizzylou Wed 16-Sep-09 09:51:16

In those circumstances I think you were right to take her, I would have taken my boys.
One episode of runny stools (hate that expression) doesn't mean that it is diarrhoea
and if she is has been fine since I think it is a safe bet that she will be fine today.

Stop fretting, bet she is OK in class now, honestly.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Wed 16-Sep-09 10:00:09

Message withdrawn

posieparker Wed 16-Sep-09 10:00:22

AS a rule of thumb diarrhoea or sickness should be given a 48hour break at home. There could be other children in families where a bout of D&V could be very dangerous, small babies, people with type 2 diabetes, following chemo for example.

But you've done it now so just get on with your day. Put this down to an experience that you learn from.

curiositykilled Wed 16-Sep-09 10:04:41

agree with posieparker but it was the teacher's place to advise you of this rule so I wouldn't blame yourself. They can always call you to come get her if she's too sick.

Tortoise Wed 16-Sep-09 10:04:45

One episode of the runs doesn't = tummy bug. I would have sent all of mine in if that had happened to them and they hadn't been again all night.
I think you did the right thing. My DD1 cried every morning in reception. Luckily yr1 and now yr2 she is OK (She still says she hates school though!)

KIttyWalker Wed 16-Sep-09 10:07:14

Reality - your DD has not got diarrhoea (at the moment). She has had one loose stool which could have been caused by anything. Could it be diet asssociated? Increased amount of fruit or veg?

Diarrhoea is a combination of loose stools and increased frequency usually associated with stomach cramps. I hope your daughter doesn't go on to develop this but it doesn't sound like she is ill.

pingapengin Wed 16-Sep-09 10:09:05

I would of sent her, one lot of diarrhoea doesnt mean a bug, could off just been something shes eaten/one of those things, if she was ok in herself and not complaining of being ill.

The school will ring if shes unwell, not much else you can do!

Hope shes ok (im sure she is!)

Jumente Wed 16-Sep-09 10:13:05

Well my ds has a cold and was very droopy at drop off. His teacher said he hadn't been too great the last few days, and he told me he'd asked to come home once or twice but they didn't bother to ring me hmm

so I made it very clear I am available as soon as he feels poorly and they MUST ring me. It takes a lot for a kid like ds to admit he wants his mum. sad

so I'll join you waiting by the phone, Reality. smile

EvilEdnasTwinSister Wed 16-Sep-09 10:28:06

Tbh I would have kept my DDs off, partially as a precaution and also partially because one of my DDs is Type 1 Diabetic and has been previously hospitalised due to D&V.

Our school also has started a 24/48 policy recently.

Roomfor2 Wed 16-Sep-09 10:33:02

Sorry for your poor DD reality - not a nice thing to happen to her.

Could you ring the school to make sure she is settled and ok, then it will put your mind at rest?

morningpaper Wed 16-Sep-09 10:34:17

I would ring/email the school office and tell them that you are worried and if she seems AT ALL PEAKY then you will be there in a flash and please can they not hesitate to call - leave your number so they have it ready if needed.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Wed 16-Sep-09 10:43:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now