Talk

Advanced search

to think getting the kids out of bed to pick up DH isn't on?

(100 Posts)
gloriagloria Tue 15-Sep-09 19:49:31

Not a huge problem in the cosmic scheme of things but wanted opinions as DH is not usually particularly unreasonable. DH is due to meet up with friends next week a train ride away. I'm very happy for him to do this, but he's asked that I pick him up at the station so he can drink (alternative would be to take car to station). This would mean getting my two DSs (age 2 and 3) out of bed at about 11 (when they've been in bed for 4 hours), bundling them in the car. It's only a short drive but it's the disruption to them I feel is unacceptable. I've done it before in emergencies (i.e. trains not running etc) but feel that having a few beers doesn't really justify it. He got uncharacteristically shirty when I objected and said as it doesn't happen often I shouldn't make such a deal of it. He's certainly not a heavy drinker and rarely goes out, but he is adamant that when you go for a drink with blokes you can't not drink hmm which is what I do when I go out.
A taxi's not an option where we live by the way.
So opinions please. Is he being a bit selfish, or am being a bit unreasonable as it's a one-off?

CarGirl Tue 15-Sep-09 19:51:04

can he leave his bike at the station?

Boys2mam Tue 15-Sep-09 19:51:21

He is def BU. Taking kids out of bed age 2 and 3 at 11pm. Nope, not a cat in hells chance.

thisisyesterday Tue 15-Sep-09 19:52:58

erm no, i would not do that!!!

can i ask why taxi isn't an option? is there not a friend who could drop him back? if it's not that far can he not walk?

colditz Tue 15-Sep-09 19:53:02

YANBU

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Tue 15-Sep-09 19:53:12

Message withdrawn

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 15-Sep-09 19:53:34

No way Jose. He needs to get a bike.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 15-Sep-09 19:54:25

YANBU

I would refuse but then DH wouldn't ask me to do it.

vinblanc Tue 15-Sep-09 19:54:38

I've done this plenty of times for DH. I don't think it is particularly unreasonable.

If he is going out with your blessing, it would be very unfortunate to be lumbered with the car.

CarGirl Tue 15-Sep-09 19:54:48

how far is it, my dh has walked an hour to get home before, we couldn't afford the taxi fare.

BitOfFun Tue 15-Sep-09 19:56:00

I'd suggest he pleads with some friend's or neighbours to sit for the kids for the 20 minutes or whatever.

thisisyesterday Tue 15-Sep-09 19:56:02

um, to those suggesting a bike, i believe that drinking and cycling is also a no-no

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Tue 15-Sep-09 19:56:08

Message withdrawn

florence2511 Tue 15-Sep-09 19:56:19

I agree with Reality. If it really is a one off then it isn't going to hurt.

They'll probably fall back to sleep in the car and then you can transfer them back to their bed and hopefully they wont wake up.

choosyfloosy Tue 15-Sep-09 19:56:25

I would agree to pick dh up in this scenario, but I'd get a babysitter. But then I'd do ANYTHING to get dh to go out more.

danthe4th Tue 15-Sep-09 19:56:30

Push bike or walk, can't believe he is actually expecting you to get the children up.

Goblinchild Tue 15-Sep-09 19:56:41

My OH walks 4 miles a day to the station and back. How far is it for your OH, and maybe his hangover won't be as severe if he has a nice stroll after his piss-up.
No, I wouldn't get them out of bed, either he'd walk or take a sleeping bag with him.

IrishDraught Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:08

If it's rare I don't think it's unreasonable. I am going out next month (first time since the same event 2 years ago) and DH will be picking me up 3 & 1 year old in the car.

bigchris Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:11

yanbu
not fair on you or the kids

Harimosmummy Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:15

taxi, bike or walk....

i def wouldn't get my kids out of bed for this and i probably would be in bed myself.

hatesponge Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:21

Tell him to get a taxi - or walk home if he hasn't got enough money left at the end of the night.

Goblinchild Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:44

Oh, and you're right. Drinking and riding a bike is against the law...blush

CarGirl Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:49

He didn't say pissed he said a few drinks! I ride my bike in the evening on quiet roads after half a bottle of wine (with food) I certainly wouldn't drive a car after that!

If he's going out to get completely pissed I certainly wouldn't go and collect him.

hottiebear Tue 15-Sep-09 19:58:54

can he not kip on one of his friends sofa?

arcticlemming Tue 15-Sep-09 19:58:58

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now