Talk

Advanced search

So does anyone else find the term 'artificial feeding' in relation to the use of formula milk a bit irritating?

(417 Posts)
bangandthedirtisgone Tue 15-Sep-09 19:22:25

Or is it just me?

choufleur Tue 15-Sep-09 19:23:45

never heard it before, but it sounds very odd. i don't think i artificially fed ds.

thisisyesterday Tue 15-Sep-09 19:26:37

no, i don't.
it IS artificial

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 15-Sep-09 19:27:43

i have never heard this expression. where did you hear it?

MrsHappy Tue 15-Sep-09 19:28:22

I've never heard it before.

bangandthedirtisgone Tue 15-Sep-09 19:28:25

I heard it on mumsnet grin

QueenOfFuckingEverything Tue 15-Sep-09 19:29:20

I've heard it before and don't object to it - it's correct.

Sassybeast Tue 15-Sep-09 19:29:43

It IS artificial though ?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/artificial

Doesn't bother me tbh.

TheOneTheyCallMama Tue 15-Sep-09 19:31:28

Erm no. 'tis just correct. Here FF called 'kunstvoeding' which literally translates as synthetic (or artificial) feeding.

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Tue 15-Sep-09 19:32:35

Yep - accurate description, not annoying at all. HTH grin

Tidey Tue 15-Sep-09 19:33:01

I agree, it sounds stupid, like you're feeding them imaginary food. However, I think most people will tell you formula milk is artificial and I fear it could turn into another ugly fight about BF vs FF.

francagoestohollywood Tue 15-Sep-09 19:33:14

It is artificial. But it's the moral connotations attached that get on my nerves.

bangandthedirtisgone Tue 15-Sep-09 19:34:16

Yes, what franca said - why not just call it formula feeding instead, that is what it is as well.

AcrylicAfternoons Tue 15-Sep-09 19:35:13

i've only heard it used by medical professionals really.

It doesn't bother me. Why does it bother you?

BouncingTurtle Tue 15-Sep-09 19:35:15

Well it is artificial! But not everything that is artificial is bad, IYSWIM?

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Sep-09 19:36:00

I used to hate the term, but I've come round with education.

The problem is 'artifial' wrt a newborn baby is emotive, particularly in a culture where we synonimse 'artificial' with 'not natural' and therefore 'bad', which can make a mother who is not bfing feel like they are not doing the best for their baby.

I think the term is correct however, but do think that it should be used in a sensitive way when supporting a mother who is bfing and absolutely not used by an crapply trained mw as a way of bullying a women into bfing despite having problems just to keep their statistics up until discharge.

TheBalladofGayTony Tue 15-Sep-09 19:36:50

i tmight be accurate but i can see how it would irratate. telling someone who is going through ivf that ehy are being artificially inseminated might be accurate but you accuracy would be small comfort when they punch you in the face.

TheOneTheyCallMama Tue 15-Sep-09 19:37:22

Now you see there are no moral connotations where I am, just the other day a mum said to me (I translate) 'I breastfed xxx for 4 months and then moved onto synthetic feed'.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 15-Sep-09 19:37:39

Does it refer to the feeding method (ie bottle feeding, in which case expressed breast milk would fall under that banner, or the food itself? 'Cos the feeding is real enough, in that the child is taking in food.

BertieBotts Tue 15-Sep-09 19:37:44

It is the correct medical term. It is factually correct after all! And "formula" is no worse - formulated, artificial, it all boils down to the fact that baby formula is a man-made substance. YABU.

MoonlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Sep-09 19:38:22

And what is formula then?

This term is also emotive. It implies pure, sterile, scientific, quality etc. It is none of these things. It is unsterile, inferior, interfered with cows milk.

TheOneTheyCallMama Tue 15-Sep-09 19:39:23

ivf isn't artificially insemination though.

bangandthedirtisgone Tue 15-Sep-09 19:40:27

Hmmmm, maybe formula is no better (is that what you meant to say bertie?).

Dunno, I don't think "pure, sterile, quality" etc when I hear formula. I just think of, I don't know, a recipe or something.

thisisyesterday Tue 15-Sep-09 19:41:15

hmm you see i think it's maybe a move from "formula" feeding
because actually formula has NO formula. it was a term devised by manufacturers of such things to make it seem more scientific and aceptable.

we're now in a situation where the majority of babies are formula fed because people view formula as a good substitute for breastmilk. actually, it carries many risks and i think that referring to it as "artificial milk" instead does perhaps make people think

TheOneTheyCallMama Tue 15-Sep-09 19:41:22

Gah. Sorry. Was trying to say...

IVF isn't artificial insemination though, they are two totally different things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now