Talk

Advanced search

To be panicking about the possibility of suffering PND again?

(7 Posts)
BrokenBananaTantrum Tue 15-Sep-09 15:17:13

I had a brilliant pregnancy with DD. The birth was shocking and ended up with spinal / foceps as DD was a face up presentation and they didn't know angry. Labour was long and nightmarish. I ended up with a 3rd Degree Tear. Not the birth I had in mind at all but still at least DD was fine.

After DD was born she vomited her feeds and screamed for 10 - 12 hours a day. The HCP told me it was colic but I knew something else was wrong and eventually paid for a private consultation with a peadiatrician. DD had acid reflux and once on special formula changed into a happy baby.

I then fell apart.

I was told I was suffering from severe post natal depression. Went on anti depressant meds and had couselling. DD is 3 now and I am just starting to think about having a second baby.

Have any of you suffered severe PND with one child but not others. I am terrified of it happening again but really want another baby. DH is worried for me too as he does not want me to go through all that again but he wants another baby too.

TheCrackFox Tue 15-Sep-09 15:34:49

I had terrible PND with DS1, there was no actual reason for it.

Before I got pregnant with DS2 I promised myself that I would get help a lot quicker. I was in serious denial beforehand.

I had a terrible birth with DS2 but was so lucky that I didn't have PND.

It might be worth going to see your GP/MW about this. I cannot promised you that you will not get PND with any subsequent babies, however, statistically you it is more likely with your first baby.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

twirlymum Tue 15-Sep-09 15:51:17

I had really awful PND with dd, but nothing at all with ds. Think I was more confident, and enjoyed the whole babyhood much more.

Duritzfan Tue 15-Sep-09 16:08:06

I had awful PND with my ds - with my daughter it was a completely different ball game ..
It took me a long time to have the courage to try for another baby as my PND was terrible, but with a lot of planning and preparation everything ended up going well..

If you can get some help straight after the birth, do it.. You need to make caring for yourslef as important as caring for the baby, make sure you get as much rest as possible, eat well and do everything you can to make the post natal period as easy as possible.

I am currently expecting number 3 ..am thinking about how we are going to cope afterwards already - i think we will have to pay for a nighttime nanny a couple of nights a week ..far from ideal and we cant afford it, but we also couldnt afford for me to get that ill again ..

Good luck - Im sure it will be easier this time xxxx xxx

honie Tue 15-Sep-09 16:13:09

I had severe PND after my first. Straight after I had given birth to my second I was given a dose of hormones (in a most undignified place!!) I was fine that time round.

Hope it goes well for you !!

GrendelsMum Tue 15-Sep-09 17:38:34

I do understand how terrifying the thought is, as I have much the same problem myself, and end up close to panic attacks. Drat, one's coming on just typing this!

Deep breaths....

I'm told that the counselling is likely to have a good effect at preventing a recurrence. Highly dubious myself, but I am told this by those in the know, so its probably true. Plus you can take the same steps you'd be taking with depression as a precautionary measure - e.g. setting yourself small, achieveable goals, getting lots of exercise, etc. As Duritzfan says, if you take looking after yourself as seriously as looking after the baby, which is really necessary, things are much more likely to go well.

If the worst happens, second time round you and those around you will have a good chance of spotting what the problem is and then you'll be able to take the ADs and maybe go back to the counselling, etc.

HTH hmm

BrokenBananaTantrum Wed 16-Sep-09 10:33:29

Thank you everyone. It is reassuring to hear how you have all coped albeit in different ways. I will be more aware of things next time and will make sure that the midwives are aware of my problems from last time and will seek help early. The stay on the mother and baby unit sounds good so i might ask about that but i thinki would miss my DD1 too much to stay for a week.

My Mental health is so much more important to me now than before. I will also not spend ages visualising a beautiful water birth. Maybe this time - with prior knowledge things will be fine. Will let you all know when i manage to conceive.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now