Talk

Advanced search

in nominating this child for any "citizenship" awards going

(20 Posts)
Bathsheba Tue 15-Sep-09 10:44:09

More "Was I being excessively gushy..."

My DD1 has just started p1. DD2 and I drop her off at school every morning. DD2 has just turned 3 and has absolutely no control of her feet (nothing wrong with her, she is just really clumsy and falls a lot).

This morning I was checking the school dinners menu on the noticeboard and dd2 wandered away from me and fell over. When I got to her (screaming her heart out) there was a little P2 boy crouching down beside her, patting her chest and making sure she was okay.

He is a little hungarian boy and he speaks very very little english. He lives over here with his dad and his sister - his Mum is back in Hungary and his parents are seperated (I know this because they go to my church - I didn't glean this from the playground...).

I was so touched by his tenderness and friendliness that when I got home I emailed the head teacher and explained what he had done and that I thought he was a fantastic asset to the school, and I'd like to nominate him for any awards appropriate (DD1 has only been in the school a few weeks so I don't know if they do things like citizenship awards, or pupil of the week or anything).

Was emailing the head a bit over the top and gushy..?? I'm 22 weeks pg and can be a bit overly emotional and "touched" by things to the point of tears quite often.

GinSlinger Tue 15-Sep-09 10:47:18

Oh that's wonderful - not at all over the top. It's lovely when people make an effort to respond when good things happen

Ninks Tue 15-Sep-09 10:50:09

Ah, YANBU that is lovely. I know how you feel, I find acts of kindness from children wonderful.

I was unreasonably touched at DD's school the other day when a Yr 3 boy held the door open for me and my pushchair even though the bell and gone and he was in a rush.

I didn't know his name but mentioned it to the deputy head who was there and she said she'd bring it up an assembly as an example of thoughtfulness. I hope he felt really nice about himself hearing that smile

hatwoman Tue 15-Sep-09 10:54:11

no - not over the top, really rather nice of you. Any head would be (should be?) delighted to hear their pupils praised. good turns (like this little boys and like yours) make the world a wee bit better.

milknosugarplease Tue 15-Sep-09 11:04:33

ah, def not being unreasonable! its lovely when people do that! so easy to complain about kids at school when theyve been nasty or a PITA (well round here) it makes a lovely change for someone to say something positive!

really nice of you

x

Lizzylou Tue 15-Sep-09 11:06:50

Aaah, what a sweet little boy.
I think that that was a lovely thing to do, he should be recognised for his kindness.
Well done

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 15-Sep-09 11:11:12

Definitely NBU, his kindness and sensitivity should be recognised either with a name check at assembly or a medal/certificate. As a rule I don't like boys (lucky I had a girl then eh?), but there is one in my dd's class who I would adopt any day of the week. He is kind, generous and patient and I always make a point of mentioning this to his mum when I see her.

PixiNanny Tue 15-Sep-09 11:18:50

Maybe a bit gushy, but gushy is good on times like these It's nice to be acknowledged for something, however small or big it is

Toffeepopple Tue 15-Sep-09 11:32:36

I think that is a nice thing to do.

DS had a horrible situation at school, which they dealt with. At home he told me about a girl who had really helped, so I told school the next day.

She got a certificate, and the school said it was nice to be able to reward her good behaviour as well as punish the bad. Her parents were thrilled too as she is a recent immigrant and often very shy and it was a real boost to her confidence.

NightShoe Tue 15-Sep-09 11:50:00

Not gushy I am about as far from pregnant as you can get and it made me all misty eyed. I think we should praise other children. Recently a boy of around 7 helped my 3 year old who had got stuck in a climbing web and I couldn't get in to untangle her. He was so kind as he spoke to her too and that she would be ok and then he held her hand and brought her out. I made sure I went and told his mum how kind and thoughtful he had been.

PrettyCandles Tue 15-Sep-09 11:54:20

Not at all OTT, and definitely YANBU. It is good to reward people for behaving the way that ought to be standard.

Our infant school makes an effort to publicly praise each child at least once or twice a year. The children are proud of themselves, and often try deliberately to earn this praise by considerate behaviour.

Firawla Tue 15-Sep-09 12:53:58

Yanbu its a nice thing to do and good to make the effort to mention the positive things not only contacting to complain as many people do these days

dilemma456 Tue 15-Sep-09 13:17:03

Message withdrawn

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Tue 15-Sep-09 13:31:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shandyleer Tue 15-Sep-09 13:39:14

Oh that's lovely - of you and of him. Your post just made me sob (and I'm not pregnant). Hope you get a nice response from the headteacher and the little boy gets the appropriate praise. You could maybe also mention the incident yourself to his Dad?

Mammina Tue 15-Sep-09 13:48:04

just made me blub too! just had a baby though so have excuse of mad hormones

LadyPinkofPinkerton Tue 15-Sep-09 13:50:43

That is really nice to hear. This thread has made me cry and I'm not pregnant either. What is wrong with me, I need to get a grip.

aendr Tue 15-Sep-09 13:56:10

No grip needed, LPoP, I (unpregnant) wept too - at all the stories, not just the OP's. One made me smile, the next misty eyed, the third I was blinking... If we didn't find these nice stories touched us, /then/ we'd something.

Bathsheba: thank you for a truly nice AIBU thread.

Barrelofloves Tue 15-Sep-09 14:10:09

Our primary rewards children for being kind and helpful and I'm pleased to say my dd was given a 'Child of the Term' award for this which made me so proud of her.

It's lovely when social skills are recognised not just academic ones! So all primaries should have an award for this (and secondaries)

Bathsheba Tue 15-Sep-09 16:35:27

Aww, thank you everyone - I'm glad I've not been overly gushy...

And sorry for making some of you cry..!

I've not heard back from the school, maybe I never will, but I've passed the info on to them and I hope they act on it somehow (I'll probably never know, DD1 isn't the best at relaying info to me from Assembly etc...).

I'll see if I can mention it to his dad at church on Sunday, just so he knows as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now