Talk

Advanced search

to sometimes find 'family meals' dull?

(19 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

preciouslillywhite Tue 15-Sep-09 11:19:45

god, yours tell you stuff- about school- while you're eating??

Jesus! mine fight, whine, sulk, swear, mix all their food into a pile and then refuse to eat it etc etc. If they speak at all most of their sentences begin "aaaaaaw, I hate..." (insert name of particular food, person, sibling, parent etc)

...are you just showing off??winkenvy

preciouslillywhite Tue 15-Sep-09 11:21:28

ps YABU. Sit them in front of the telly and let them eat microchips out of the box grin

preciouslillywhite Tue 15-Sep-09 11:23:44

lol! My dp, if he graces us with his presence, reads the Guardian sports pages if he thinks he can get away with it. It works like an invisible forcefield- magic!!

CommonNortherner Tue 15-Sep-09 11:24:04

YANBU!!

alypaly Tue 15-Sep-09 11:27:19

get them to help prepare the food and they may eat more quickly........

CommonNortherner Tue 15-Sep-09 11:28:08

Sorry, got all excited there that other people feel the same. We just have a 5 year old ds and really I'd just love to talk to dh when he gets home rather than making sure the conversation is inclusive! Although it is rather cute when ds says, "And how was your day, daddy?" No... no... I will not let cuteness trump tedium wink

Bramshott Tue 15-Sep-09 11:29:06

I must admit that I tend to flick through the newspaper / a catalogue / their letters from school while they are sitting at the table eating blush. That's if I'm not eating too, or if I've finished.

MrsMellowdrummer Tue 15-Sep-09 11:29:18

Look at it as a time to chat and be together, then it won't matter if you finish first.

alypaly Tue 15-Sep-09 11:37:23

try diffferent questioning techniques,,ask open questions rather than ones that they can just give one word answers to.

posieparker Tue 15-Sep-09 11:40:50

WE play games... (on my good parent days) like five quick questions/opposites/favourites

favourites ice cream/jelly
chips/mash potato

etc

If the dcs have been very horrid to eachother we have say nice things about each other (sounds a little sickly but they do take a long time to think things up).

gingernutlover Tue 15-Sep-09 11:41:19

what about playign a word game while they are sat there?

we like the alphabet game, think of a catergory and name something in it beginnignw ith each letter of the alphabet.

eye spy good too, or with younger kids can do it with colours

to be honest, if i am feeling that fed up i start the washing up while dd finished eating, that way i can still chat to her but dont feel trapped at the table, surely thats not such a sin!

bigchris Tue 15-Sep-09 11:44:37

i let my eldest get down cos youngest takrs so long blush
and i read the paper!

GrendelsMum Tue 15-Sep-09 13:43:22

Are the recaps of Dr Who episodes also totally incomprehensible? In the style of "and then there was the Doctor, but he wasn't the Doctor, and it wasn't really a Sonic Screwdriver, and there was a poodle, and they both laughed, and she was really cross with them?" all delivered in a very high pitched voice?

If so, I feel your pain.

booyhoo Tue 15-Sep-09 13:55:58

my OH is away alot and so its just me and ds1(4) and ds2(3 months).

ds1 is sooo slow, i try to slow down my own eating and jump up and down from the table spotting things that i can do, but i do feel bad because his topics of conversation revolve around what he does and doesnt want to eat and trying to bargain with me for a treat. i get fed up and pick up a supermarket offers flyer.

GibbonInARibbon Tue 15-Sep-09 14:43:13

This has made me smile grin during the week 'tis just DD (3) and I at the table as DD in bed by the time DH gets home. After I have finished I sit there all twitchy (so well put wink) as she slooooowly slurps/spills/licks her dinner tiny bit by tiny bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now