Talk

Advanced search

To be in fear of my DCs teachers?

(3 Posts)
valhala Tue 15-Sep-09 00:41:56

I have a meeting with one of the many deputies at my DC's large secondary school tomorrow, in order to address bullying concerns which have remained uresolved despite my attempts. That in itself is another (and more serious) story posted on the Bullying thread in "Education" but on a lighter note, why do I feel so much in awe of DC's teachers, some of whom are younger than me when times have changed so much and there is so much more informality now?

The differences between my school, a small and strict city C/E grammar and my DC's huge town comprehensive are immense. Thirty years ago when I was DD1's age, you stood, hands behind your back when an adult entered the room, chorusing "Good morning Mrs X/Sir", be they teacher or visitor, and waited for the small, almost imperceptible nod by a suited and booted superior before you sat down in silence.

Much has changed and now teachers wear casual clothes, some in other schools are called by first names and children don't react with the same respect as I did all those years ago... okay, I may not like that, but I accept it.

So why is it, now that I am approaching DC's school with a genuine unresolved grievance, I feel like I am in the lower fourth, covered in ink and in such awe of their teachers? Why do I feel like one of their naughty schoolchildren and not on their level at 44 years of age?

Does any other parent feel like this when they have a problem which they have to discuss with their DC's teachers or is it just me?

colditz Tue 15-Sep-09 00:45:08

I don't feel like this, except with ONE teacher at my son's primary - and this is because she used to be my teacher. I can call others by their first names, and speak to them in an adult fashion - but with this (perfectly pleasant, undomineering) woman, I am reduced to a ten year old girl with an alarming propensity for 'showing off'

blush

valhala Tue 15-Sep-09 01:02:17

Colditz I'm pmsl. I thank god that my DC don't attend my old schools (and I know that I wouldn't recognise my secondary if they did, so much has it changed).

I can just imagine a grown woman talking about her DS to a lady she always respectfully knew as Mrs X and reacting to Mrs X as she had wished she could when she was a pupil!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now