Talk

Advanced search

to want to heave when someone talk about someone else being their 'soulmate'?

(120 Posts)
moondog Tue 15-Sep-09 00:20:23

Usually with bovine misty look in eyes.
Invariably he then fucks off after about 3 weeks with a 17 year old .

WhingeBobShitPants Tue 15-Sep-09 00:21:32

<stupid childish giggling>

dizzymare Tue 15-Sep-09 00:22:22

You're right, I thought fuckmuppet was mine and he's now shacked up with a 25 yr old strumpethmm

moondog Tue 15-Sep-09 00:25:20

Oh dear. sad
Mind you,I want to beat peopel who talk aobut their 'partner' around the nethers with a blunt instrument so tolerance was never my strong point.

Oh and if they have a baby with their 'soulmate' and then worry about him 'bonding' with the child i then self implode.

My theory is that there is an inverse correlation between how much people talk about these things and actually follow them through.

KerryMumbles Tue 15-Sep-09 00:27:58

hahahahahahahahahaha

yep.

unfortunately I'm one of those these days.

Waiting for the 17 year old to raise her ugly head....

MrsMerryHenry Tue 15-Sep-09 00:31:44

<<MMH thinks her 'bitter & twisted' thread couldn't have come at a better time>>

grin

I do hate the word 'partner', but I think it depends how it's said. When people sort of mist over it does make me want to vom a little.

pasturesnew Tue 15-Sep-09 00:32:56

is this an indirect boast about you being bezzy mates with Brangelina moondog grin?

AnAuntieNotAMum Tue 15-Sep-09 00:34:15

What's wrong with partner sad. I've taken to saying partner cos saying "boyfriend" in my forties sounds kind of wrong and "manfriend" sounds even worse.

MrsMerryHenry Tue 15-Sep-09 00:35:43

What's wrong with manfriend?

grin

I've definitely got used to saying partner now, I think it was in the early days when it was first being used that it sounded vague and wet.

Disenchanted3 Tue 15-Sep-09 00:37:00

i would have defended soulmates as real up until the last few days

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 15-Sep-09 08:38:26

Soulmate slightly more preferable to 'rock', said like 'oh he's my rock' The Queen of hearts. Spewtastic IMO.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Tue 15-Sep-09 08:40:55

Message withdrawn

LilRedWG Tue 15-Sep-09 08:56:33

I've always thought it was boak until a friend said that I and another friend were his soulmates and that he could depend on us for anything - I was actually quite touched.

FatherChristmasLittleHelper Tue 15-Sep-09 09:21:08

yanbn makes me make to boak too
and also i can't do anything without my dh/dp.
get a grip

AnyFucker Tue 15-Sep-09 09:40:46

moondog, I am soooooo with you on this

I lump together those fuckers who call you his "soulmate" after 3 weeks and who "swear on their kids lives he hasn't banged the 17 yo he keeps texting"

I would run a mile if someone called me this. What utter bollocks. And I make no apology to those who really think they have found their soulmate after 3 weeks. I am sure it happens.

Like one in a billion hmm

ShowOfHands Tue 15-Sep-09 09:45:57

This got me in trouble t'other day. I was rambling about how silly the whole soulmate businesss is and DH with an offended look in his hurt little eyes whined 'don't you think I'm your soulmate then?' I did a frantic 'oh I think I can hear the doorbell' routine. We don't have a doorbell. He still looks wounded now.

morningpaper Tue 15-Sep-09 09:48:20

I like saying partner and also strenously avoid mentioning the gender of my partner

just for fun

ShowOfHands Tue 15-Sep-09 09:51:58

I think I'm going to start referring to dh as my manfriend. Perhaps with a wink.

francagoestohollywood Tue 15-Sep-09 09:53:56

grin grin grin "Oh and if they have a baby with their 'soulmate' and then worry about him 'bonding' with the child"

GlibGib Tue 15-Sep-09 09:54:36

I'll see your soulmate and raise you a hubby.

I hear that word, or read that word, I want to eat my liver with a teaspoon.

OrmIrian Tue 15-Sep-09 10:01:34

A soulmate is fine until he gets boring and old and turns into a husband hmm

OrmIrian Tue 15-Sep-09 10:03:04

IME the most relvant part of one's being 3 weeks after meeting someone is not the soul.

duelingfanjo Tue 15-Sep-09 10:06:36

the whole idea of a soulmate is ridiculous. how many people do you know who met their soulmate while plastered at the local nightclub for example? Isn't it funny how soulmates are always so close at hand and you don't have to travel to outer mongolia to find them, eh.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 15-Sep-09 10:08:20

Lol at 'bovine misty look'

It proves that men are usually more daft tham women when it comes to romance.

I met DP 3 weeks before valentines day. He was banging on about how we could go out for a meal and gaze into each other's eyes, I pissed on his fire by ranting that valentine's day was a load of old tosh exacerbated by Clinton Cards and that valentines cards were best used to line cat litter trays. He looked sorrowful and called me cynical.

I went out with my friend on valentines night and we behaved raucously and laughed at the poor souls having their one romantic night of the year and obviously desperately trying to rekindle the flame.

Am cynic.

SolidGoldBrass Tue 15-Sep-09 10:10:16

No YANBU at all. Though it is a good stupid-person indicator. Basically people who believe in 'soulmates' are the ones setting themselves and other people up for loads of unnecessary aggravation and unhappiness. These are the obsessive monogamists, who are so convinced by the idea of the Soulmate that they are forever dumping perfectly adequate partners for the next person they mildy fancy, as monogamists are too stupid to understand that it's possible to be sexually attracted to loads of different peope at the same time and you have a choice over what you do, so every time they get a commotion in their underwear over someone new, they decide that this one must be the soulmate and the current one becomes instantly disposable.
The flipside of the toxic soulmate' myth is, of course, that people who believe another individual is their 'soulmate' will often put up with hideous abuse from this individual because, after all, you can;t fight Lurrve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now