Talk

Advanced search

to think this is not art?

(13 Posts)
Chulita Mon 14-Sep-09 15:17:58

www.wix.com/nicolaperres/nicolaperrescom
Surely just a bunch of double exposed randomness with some odd and unoriginal names. Only asking cos she's family and I'm hoping not to be presented with one as a 'gift' but it would be good to know if it would be ebay-able grin

SmallScrewCap Mon 14-Sep-09 15:28:08

So someone in your family has decided to follow a creative dream, is prone to giving gifts, and you want to sneer at them using their given name?

YABU

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 14-Sep-09 15:29:40

I really like them!

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Mon 14-Sep-09 15:32:01

We-e-ll, I've seen worse-and much of it in the Tate, actually.

But I would prefer the photos done in the ordinary way.The double exposure thing is just irritating.

However in general I like my art to look like something, rather than all this conceptual/abstract art, so my opinion may count for nothing!! smile

tethersend Mon 14-Sep-09 15:36:56

It is art- she made it with the intention of it being so, therefore it is art.

Is it good art? Not IMO. But surely bad art exists?

I mean, the only criticism of art seems to be 'it's not art', as if all art has to be good. It doesn't. There's some real shite out there- doesn't mean it's not art though.

And of course, it's all subjective as to whether it's good or bad. So this argument could go on for a loooonnnnng time.

pasturesnew Mon 14-Sep-09 15:39:55

TBH if she is family I would take your post down as she will surely find it via google at some point and be really upset!

PuppyMonkey Mon 14-Sep-09 15:43:22

This thread is a nice bit of PR for her anyway... grin

lynniep Mon 14-Sep-09 15:45:57

I think you're being a bit mean. I dont think they're that bad - no I wouldnt buy one but then I dont buy art full stop as its not something I'd splash out on.

It is art (god I remember having to write an essay at art school 'what is art' followed by 'what is design' - what a minefield!)
As tethersend said - its subjective - I have an opinion on it - I am of the opinion that it is intentionally art that is not that bad. I have far more doubts about other things that are bandied around as art (you only have to mention the name 'hirst')

pooexplosions Mon 14-Sep-09 15:48:15

See that Monet, thats just a load of dabs of paint on canvas, thats not art is it? hmm

Michealangelo's David, thats just an auld statue of some fella, not proper art or nothing.

If she considers herself an artist, who are you to say otherwise? Is there anything more subjective?

I hope she doesn't give you a present of one, but only because you don't deserve one.

nickelbabe Mon 14-Sep-09 15:49:44

you are beign mean especially as you know her, but imo the photos aren't good.
they look like they are supposed to look like they've been taken through a window.
weird. not my taste.
but don't be mean about people you know in such a blatant way on the internet where they could see (especially if they are prone to googling their own name....)

PortBlacksandResident Mon 14-Sep-09 15:55:45

I would be horrified and bloody angry if a relative came on here mocking my stuff. I would get this thread removed.

Not that they'd be worried about pressies though - i'm far too stingy for that wink.

Chulita Mon 14-Sep-09 16:29:02

Ahem...I wasn't mocking, just stating that they are odd and random - which IMO they are. But fair enough, art is subjective and more power to her if people want to buy them. I'm probably jealous cos I haven't got a shred of artistic talent in me. grin I wasn't sneering and it's not her given name. lynniep 'what is art?' man alive that's a title - but then again surely you can write anything you like and be right hmm

MrsVik Mon 14-Sep-09 16:39:16

Photography is a medium open to everyone with a hundred quid to spare these days. The talent that was once required to take a breathtaking picture is being challenged by anyone who knows which end to point and which button to click. This is a great thing - not only are very lovely pictures being taken all the time, but it's forced professional photographers (especially artists) to up their game.

Photographers HAVE to adapt - to find new ways of expressing their art form. To me, this is an attempt to do that. I think it's interesting. If you think you can do it better / differently, get out there are do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now