Talk

Advanced search

Landlord selling house

(15 Posts)
DontWannaHaveToMoveAGAIN Mon 14-Sep-09 15:06:56

and I have told the agents that they can only bring potential purchasers round on a Saturday between 10-4. They asked me if they could bring someone round at 7pm on a week night hmm!

This is my 3rd rented house in 2 and a half years (the first one was put up for sale after 6 months and the 2nd one was a minger that we had to take out of desperation) and I really, really don't want to move again!

I have told the agents that when they bring people round I would rather be out so the kids don't start asking who those strange people are looking round the house (have not told them we will have to move again soon as they are quite comfortable here sad). Cannot get a mortgage as we would need an income of about 100k to get a reasonable house round here and we ain't nowhere near that!

AIBU as the agents were a bit narked??

bigchris Mon 14-Sep-09 15:08:54

sorry but I think yabu

your landlord has a right to sell his house

Stigaloid Mon 14-Sep-09 15:09:51

YANBU to be miffed but it is probably in your contract that with 24 hours notice agents can have access and that this is not to be unreasonably withheld by the tenant. Appreciate that it is a pain in the backside but check your contract. if there is no such clause in place you can demand weekend only viewings, otherwise you may have to do as contract stipulates.

ThingumyandBob Mon 14-Sep-09 15:15:00

YANBU, it sucks and it is a pain in the neck….check your contract though, there should be something in there that is in your favour…

expatinscotland Mon 14-Sep-09 15:19:31

Do a search in chat.

This has been happening A LOT on this board recently.

Whilst the landlord does have the right to sell the house, you have the right to 'peaceful enjoyment' of the property.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 14-Sep-09 15:21:06

YABU
I hate moving too but you can't be that obstructive. You can say no to evenings as you have the right to family privacy but they can give you 24 hours notice and come whenever they want. It sucks, but you can't stop him from selling his house by denying viewers access hmm

tethersend Mon 14-Sep-09 15:23:08

I don't think 7pm on a weeknight when you have children is reasonable tbh. It's not ideal to view a bedroom with a sleeping child in it, or a bathroom with a crying one (more likely in my house).

Do you work during the day? Perhaps you could let the agent show prospective buyers around when you are not there- that way, you are effectively granting access at least 5 days a week.

The Landlord does have the right to sell the house, but while you are paying rent, you have the right to 'quietly enjoy the premises' (someone may correct me on the legal term). Whilst it is true that you cannot refuse entry, arrangements which impact on your quiet enjoyment should not be made. Offer some reasonable times, and leave it at that.

If they insist on bringing buyers round at inconvenient times whilst you are there, you could always strike up a conversation about the rats/devil worshipping neighbours/subsidence/damp etc. Then they will make sure they arrange viewings when you are not there.

But that would be sneaky wink

tethersend Mon 14-Sep-09 15:24:30

sorry expatinscotland, x-post

MorningTownRide Mon 14-Sep-09 15:46:44

YANBU - 10-4 on a Saturday is very reasonable. Don't be bullied into any other times. E.g the agent calling up at 7pm and saying "Oh we're just round the corner. Can we pop in?"

It's still your home (deja vu) and as others have said, you have the right to 'peaceful enjoyment'.

Try landlordzone.com. There is useful advice on their forum.

DontWannaHaveToMoveAGAIN Mon 14-Sep-09 15:54:48

BigChris - of course the landlord has a right to sell his house hmm but I also have a right to not be disturbed hmm.

curiositykilled Mon 14-Sep-09 16:22:39

I am shocked that anyone would think you are being unreasonable.

It is perfectly fine and probably to the landlord's advantage if people come to view when you are out. He's not going to sell the house to someone who feels they are turfing somebody uncomfortably out of their home and it would be difficult for viewers to get a proper look when you are all there.

It's perfectly reasonable to say you only want them to come when you are out but could you set aside any other times too? It is likely that 10-4 on a saturday is a time that almost everybody would like to view a house but it might stop some people who work weekends so it'd be sensible to see if you could arrange a time during a weekday too maybe?

Sorry you have to move again, it doesn't sound to me like you are being obstructive.

expatinscotland Mon 14-Sep-09 16:29:15

I have a list of names from MN. All of people who are stuck private renting like us and getting passed from pillar to post.

And when we are the sole winners of the EuroMillions on Friday, I'm going to buy every one of those fuckers a home of their own.

groundhogs Mon 14-Sep-09 17:10:14

I had a friend this happened to. she had a 2yo, and even though she told them the days and times she would have the house empty, they still just pitched up. She was dutch, so gave them a good earful.

YANBU, it might be a good idea to see if you can set aside a few more regular slots where you could be reasonably expected to be out so they can try and show it.

Then at least you are doing your bit, but tbh estate agents are going to be arsey with you whatever you suggest.

Don't let them bully you, they are only working for the landlord, but you are the one paying the rent.

Firawla Mon 14-Sep-09 21:55:12

YANBU you do have the right to 'peaceful enjoyment' like someone said, and also i think they can only do it within the last 2 months of tenancy if agents access is for the purpose of selling the property. tell them the times you are okay with, don't let them push you around for more.

People who think its unreasonable because the landlord has a right to sell the house, well they have the choice to sell it or rent it out. if they want to sell it with no tenants needs to consider, then they are welcome to lose the rent money and sell it without getting tenants in, but of course they don't do it because they will lose so much income while property is on the market. I'm sorry but they can not have their cake and eat it, and tenants do have rights

hatesponge Mon 14-Sep-09 22:09:32

YANBU - I have viewed many houses in the past, both renting and buying (am currently in rented).

I have always said to estate agents that I can view properties during the week after 6pm (before that I am at work) or anytime at weekends. I have never been offered a viewing in the evenings, only ever weekends.

I think if you were saying 1 day during the week 10-4 I might say YABU, but given that you have said Saturday, I think thats fine. Are the agents showing them round or do you have to? If the former I'm surprised they want to do it at 7pm, all the agents round here clock off at 5pm sharp!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now