Talk

Advanced search

aibu to care what bloody toy dd took to school last week

(17 Posts)
insprognito Sun 13-Sep-09 22:11:05

Last week dd2 came home with a sticker on her cardi asking for a toy to be brought in the next morning.Fast forward to the next morning when 10 mins before leaving the house we remember.
She decides she's going to take her Amazing Alysen doll.This would have been ok but for the fact that the batteries had gone so it's eyes were fixed half open half shut and looked really horrid.
Also it's long hair was all matted and tangled.I started trying to brush it's hair out but it wouldn't smooth out ,I even tried putting it a ponytail to see if it looked o.k then I wiped it's face ffs.
I said sorry dd but you can't take it looking like that what will people think of us.blush
I wanted her to take her new baby make me better doll instead but she wouldn't budge. I got really stressed about it and in the end she grabbed a teddy bear off her bed.
We got to school and I watched the class troop in with all sorts of rag tag stuffed toys and thought to myself why the hell did I care.
Somewhere in my mad brain I was imagining a teacher noting down that dd had taken some scruffy haired broken doll and that would some how reflect on me as a parent.Think I've been hanging around one too many judgy pants threads of late grin.

booyhoo Sun 13-Sep-09 22:24:19

my ds' teddy is the teddy i had from birth and really should be on display in a glass cabinet, but ds insists on taking it everywhere. the stuffing in its head falls out regularly and there isnt enough fabric to stitch it back up again. and i dont care. its a teddy, he likes it. if it saves a row he can take it wherever he wants.

paisleyleaf Sun 13-Sep-09 22:25:41

I remember something similar when I was at infants school.
It was not long after xmas and we could bring in a toy. I didn't want to bring in one of my new toys, but and old doll with felt pen on and scissor chewed hair. I remember my mum trying to talk me out of it. At school all the other children did have their shiney new xmas toys- I bet my mum felt ashamed.

jambutty Sun 13-Sep-09 22:30:23

Know exactly what you mean. When the DDs want to take stuff in for show and tell I am extremely controlling for exactly the same reason - imaginary staffroom conversations: "you'll never guess what Jam's DD brought into school for show and tell - a three year old Macdonald's toy! Clearly they feed their kids junk food, well she's no better than she should be etc etc"
Same with end of term when they can take agmes in "no you can't take your Nintendo DS in, what will they think, take something EDUCATIONAL"

No we shouldn't care, but some of us do!

jambutty Sun 13-Sep-09 22:31:11

See, I can't even spell games. What a show.

dilemma456 Sun 13-Sep-09 22:42:33

Message withdrawn

insprognito Sun 13-Sep-09 23:15:29

LOL thank God it's not just me then being pathetic.
Every week Dilema! I think i'd have a bloody coronarygrin.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 13-Sep-09 23:26:20

Have none of you heard the story about the little bo being ashamed taking his scruffy bear in for a best bear competition in school??
His wasn't shiny and new like the other childrens bears but he won because his bear was obviously the most loved and most special bear!

Think it was a bedtime story on cbeebies or something....Shall I just get my coat grin

Goblinchild Mon 14-Sep-09 07:55:16

'imaginary staffroom conversations: "you'll never guess what Jam's DD brought into school for show and tell - a three year old Macdonald's toy! Clearly they feed their kids junk food, well she's no better than she should be etc etc"'

Really? grin
Rest assured. I've never been in a staffroom where that has happened.
On the other hand, if your child brought in something actually interesting, that might win out over discussions on cake and Strictly Come Get Me Out of Big Brother.
But probably not.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 14-Sep-09 08:03:02

The only thing that has ever raised an eyebrow in a staffroom (that I am aware of) was a lovely little boy who came to school on 'dress up like a film character day' with a Woody like checked shirt, cowboy hat, gun, sheriff badge and his mum's pink furry handcuffs.

Umlellala Mon 14-Sep-09 08:09:15

Bring a toy in? WTF?

I stop dd from taking toys to the park cos she I might lose them, why would she need to take them to school?

Is it really just 'bring a toy' in, or bring something red or something that's old or whatever..?

<feeling angst already>

OtterInaSkoda Mon 14-Sep-09 12:18:04

Love the pink handcuffs grin

OrmIrian Mon 14-Sep-09 12:23:10

Ohhhh I know that feeling. Wanting DCs to take their lovely wooden educational toys instead of scarily violent plastic action figures. Or plastic dinosaurs that roar loudly. But they won't. I ave learned better now <sigh>

stealthsquiggle Mon 14-Sep-09 12:31:42

LOL at the handcuffs. Do you think his mother knew he had them? I can just imagine her picking him up at the end of the day and suddenly realising what he was looking smug about that morning grin

pasturesnew Mon 14-Sep-09 12:33:56

LOL my DS takes in a loo roll to nursery on toy day quite often, it's his "power band" (Legend of the Dragon cartoon) - the nursery staff are a bit hmm but he likes it!

Geocentric Mon 14-Sep-09 12:39:08

My DCs have RULES at their school about which toys to bring hmm They're not allowed: toys with batteries; fighting toys; small toys or toys with small parts; expensive toys which might get spoilt; and all toys must be easy to share...

Cue me at first ticking items off the list... now I just send them in with some old McD's toy and sod it. If it gets lost, it gets lost. If it gets broken, good!!!!!

stealthsquiggle Mon 14-Sep-09 12:48:52

DS is not supposed to bring 'precious' things, but that is a non-sensical rule to me. It doesn't matter how much something cost, if they choose to take it to show their friends it is because it is precious to them - DS's most awkward choices are generally freebies I have brought home from exhibitions / conferences - they cost me nothing but are impossible to replace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now