Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To Think Its Quite Daft to Buy New Stuff As Car Boot Sale Is Brilliant

(26 Posts)
bodeniites Sun 13-Sep-09 19:04:48

we went to the car boot sale today and i bought 2 rugs one Black and White feels like velvet one Browny Autumy Colours one £6 one £4 both big,Ted Baker Shirt for Dh £1, gorgeous Vintage quilt £1. vase with flower 50p lovely cushion £1 all in brilliant condition would have cost a fortune to buy new.. fantastic!!

funtimewincies Sun 13-Sep-09 19:28:57

Well done, I'm pleased that you're feeling good about your bargains. You obviously have a better quality of car boot sale where you are.

I like a bargain as much as the next person bu I also like my stuff to be unbroken, clean and safe which most of the stuff I've seen at our local boot sales certainly isn't.

So, while you have every reason to feel smug, yes YABU to project that onto other people's choices.

PeedOffWithNits Sun 13-Sep-09 19:34:14

this is why i am addicted to ebay as well as mn

DoingTheBestICan Sun 13-Sep-09 19:34:41

Gosh thats a bit harsh funtimewincies,i didnt get the op being smug? hmm

I too love a bargain & agree with you op.

gingernutlover Sun 13-Sep-09 19:39:25

i agree

pity car boot sales don't always have the thing you need by yesterday! LOL, imagine if they did though .... really would be fantastic.

I always seem to end up buying bargains - but not stuff I desperately need ho hum.

funtimewincies Sun 13-Sep-09 19:46:10

Sorry, a bit pg grumpy today blush. Wish I could have a gin.

I'm just getting a tad annoyed by the spate of 'aren't my lifestyle choices the bees knees' posts.

I grow my own veg but wouldn't dream of suggesting that people who buy theirs at the supermarket are 'daft'. It's their life and their choice.

MrsSaxon Sun 13-Sep-09 20:18:00

I got a pair of diesil trainers for a quid today, and some lime green cushion covers from Next for a quid.

I also grow me own veg. smug emoticon

LaurieFairyCake Sun 13-Sep-09 20:20:45

I buy new stuff as well as go mad for secondhand stuff.

The best stuff I have is second hand/charity shop/ebay/antiquey.

Rindercella Sun 13-Sep-09 20:26:25

We sold at our first car boot today. It was fantastic - got rid of loads of tat stuff we no longer wanted and made over 200 quid in the process. I guess the stuff originally cost us waaaay more than that, but we felt we had good use out of everything, so anything we made over the entrance fee and cost of a couple of bacon butties was a bargain smile

Jajas Sun 13-Sep-09 20:30:10

I absolutely loathe car boot sales I have to say, never seen such a load of old tat in all my life. Have sold some stuff before and amazed that anyone bought it, wouldn't dream of buying anything though ~ most of it looks as though it were diverted from its last trip to the skip!

bodeniites Sun 13-Sep-09 20:51:30

funtimewinces sorry i wasnt trying to be smug just really pleased and maybe daft was an er daft term to use sorry again

GetOrfMoiLand Sun 13-Sep-09 21:04:28

Utterly loathe car boot sales. DP loves them and sees all sorts of old tat which he suddenly has a desperate need for. He and dd go to them on Sunday mornings sometimes, I never go. I am empathically not prepared to get up early on a precious Sunday in order to traipse round a windy racecourse looking at other people's rejected crap.

SomeGuy Sun 13-Sep-09 21:07:10

ebay is much better. Why traipse around a field full of crap when you can order it from home?

hatesponge Sun 13-Sep-09 21:16:48

I love car boot sales, they are one of my guilty pleasures!

My friend's parents are retired & spend most of their week travelling round the south east to boot sales & flea markets....am most envious of them grin

I mostly buy books (got ds 10 horrible histories for £1 last time I went).

paisleyleaf Sun 13-Sep-09 21:17:30

I've done well out of bootsales. Especially children's stuff. And tools. I find it a nice way to spend a sunny sunday morning too. Some of our local farmers are doing better having bootsales on their land than they are farming.

medu Sun 13-Sep-09 22:03:07

I think car boot sales aren't what they once were. When my eldest DD was born in 1991 I had very little money, so a lot of what she has was from car boot sales. Back then, you could get everything needed from there, for very little. It was all spotlessly clean and many, many of the designer dresses and outfits she wore were bought for peanuts. I haven't been to a big one for a couple of years, but the last one I went to, it seemed that people were asking a lot of money for clothing/baby equipment that I, frankly, thought were cheap rubbish. Always look out for stuff that has been expensive when bought new, and you'll be shocked as hell at how little you can get it for. I did have new pushchairs for all of my chidren, however, and new car seats, as you can never tell if it's been in an accident, can you? As well, I think it depends on the area the boot sale is being held in. When visiting a car boot near Ex Hubby's parents in Eton, I got loads of OshKosh and Gap stuff for DS for next to nothing,the same applies to here in York, whereas the ones in Cleveland where I used to live have too much 'tat' and people wanted a ridiculous amount of money for it. Even DD2 benefitted from Car Boot stuff, even though I had the money to buy 'all new' by then. My ex SIL-to-be (at the time just SIL-to-be, if that makes sense?) was puzzled as to how I dressed DD1 in such expensive outfits when, at the time, I was a single mother living on a pittance (No, I'm not a 'sponger', I was back working full time as soon as I got a decent job)-of course I let her in on the secret and then we used to trawl them together. My advice in a nutshell is this: pick one in a fairly affluent area, get there as early as you can, and be prepared to haggle a little (what have you got to lose?). It was, in those days, also an excellent place to pick up stuff like muslin cloths and baby bedding. Yes, it depends on how picky you are. I was (and am) very picky about how my chidren were and are dressed, but if you're prepared to have a good old dig through stuff, it's wonderful for those designer outfits you can't justify spending a fortune on, as quick as young 'uns grow. DD1 was also a very 'pukey' baby, so those extra baby gros/ towelling nappies/muslin sheets came in very useful as she was vomiting up to 10 times a day! Anyone in the North Yorks area know where there are good ones around here? I haven't lived here that long, so I don't know the area that well.

scaryhairycat Sun 13-Sep-09 22:30:40

I still love car boots even though the bargains aren't what they were. I blame ebay - people get more money for a lot of stuff when they sell it on there, so quite often the stuff that goes to car boots are the left overs.
(I also happen to know that a number of people go early to car boots and buy stuff cheap to resell on ebay for a profit!)

Ebay used to be good as well but now it is quite hard to find a genuine bargain on there too, as people get very competitive when bidding and often pay more than they would if they found the same item in a charity shop or a boot sale! And certainly more than the item is worth a lot of the time! which is wonderful if you've got stuff to sell, but not so good if you rely on these means to get the stuff you need!

OP - your boot sale sound fab! Wish there was one like that round my way, although I still always come home with something that I'm pretty chuffed with, so they can't be all that bad I suppose! grin

Tryharder Sun 13-Sep-09 22:58:03

Went to a carboot on Saturday - first time in ages! Have still got a grin on my face thinking about my bargains.

A working mobile camera phone for £2

A working nearly new karoake machine with all the gadgets plus CDs for £8

A mini boden top for DS1 for 50p 50p!!! Might stick it on ebay actually. Plus other good quality childrens clothes for similar prices (Jean Bourget, Childrens Place, Bench)

A boys Raleigh bike in excellent condition for DS1 for £3.50!!!! (bargained the seller down from a fiver)

Plus loads of other really nice things for next to nothing.

We bought so much, had to turf DS2 out of his pushchair and make him walk home so we could carry our stuff.

Medu, you ask about carboot sales in North Yorkshire - there's one near Rufforth in between Wetherby and York, one at Wetherby Race course, one at Ripley near Knaresborough, one at Minskip near Boroughbridge.... The Ripley one is supposed to be good, DH and I might go next week we are so geared up from all our bargain hunting yesterday...

medu Sun 13-Sep-09 23:03:20

Thanks for the tip [Tryharder] I really appreciate it. I'm writing them all down and will definitely get to them over the next few weekends! Hope I'm a bit more sensible than usual and don't spend too much!

Knickers0nMaHead Mon 14-Sep-09 08:51:01

I love carboots, we go to 2 or 3 every sunday. Most things I see are in brill condition. Have bought some fab clothes for the dcs at boot sales. Better than ebay grin

fairysad Mon 14-Sep-09 09:13:40

Oh! I Love love love car boot sales!
The wee ones near me are a bit poo though but if you get to a bigger more organised one, I just love it!
I am headed south at the beginning of next month and have practically planned by break around getting to the one in Aberdeen.
Crazy, but I just don't get the opportunity up here.
Last time I got a fiddle for myself to learn for under £20, I tried for £15 but she wouldn't budge. In the end my dad said the case alone was worth more than £20 so I didn't do too badly.
I also got one of those light up drums from ELC for £2. I found it in the catalouge when I got home and discovered it was worth £13!!
Also a water mat worth £18 for £2.
£2 is my magic number, haha. They say £2 I sa, ok and snap their arm off before they realise their folly.
I love a good bargaining.
Can't remember when I last got to the barra's in Glasgow. I remember my mums enjoying that place. But you gotta be careful there, it really is full of some utter rubbish. But so much fun.
DH hate bargaining, he gets all embarassed. I think I get worse, just to make him cringewinkgrin

hippomother Mon 14-Sep-09 17:19:09

I like car boot sales too. We get all sorts of bits and bobs from them.
But YABU as it is also very nice to buy new things, and DS is 3 now and likes to have some choice in his clothes, which he can get in a shop, but not so much at a car boot sale.
<wanders off humming Suede's Jumble Sale Mums>

funtimewincies Mon 14-Sep-09 19:16:12

Sorry bodeniites, having returned to this today I realise that I was just being rudeblush.

I'm probably just jealous that we only get broken tat our local sales!

bubblerock Mon 14-Sep-09 20:20:30

I'd go to one if it started at midday on a Sunday wink

hippomother Mon 14-Sep-09 23:05:52

I often wish they started later. We're going to one next week that starts at 11 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now