Talk

Advanced search

To tell these parents that their child was unhappy at the holiday childrens club ?

(6 Posts)
rookiemater Sun 13-Sep-09 18:33:00

We are just back from holiday and this has been eating me up since it happened.

The hotel had a kids club free to 3 year olds and above. We went along with our DS age 3.5 to have a look but most of the toys were broken, all the age groups were mixed, the girls running it didn't appear to have received much training and were more comfortable with the children that spoke their own language. The english children particularly the young ones looked a bit upset and no one seemed to be paying any attention to them.

Our DS wanted to go along a couple of times for about an hour at a time to play with the toys and watch DVDs so I would either come with him or let the staff know that we were at the childrens pool right beside and if he wanted to tell the staff and we would come and get him.

Whilst I was there one day I saw a boy aged 3 belonging to some parents I had seen at the childrens pool before. He seemed very sad and was calling for his Mummy & Daddy on a number of occasions.

I really wanted to say something to the Mum as I know I would be upset if I knew my DC was crying for me, but saw him the next day and he seemed a bit happier so thought I would leave it.

We ended up having drinks with the couple, who were both really nice people ( sorry if you are a Mumsnetter !) on our last night as we both had baby sitters and it kind of came up in conversation and I did mention that her DS wasn't happy. She seemed ok that I had told her, but do you think it was the right thing to do or was it none of my business ?

JeMeSouviens Sun 13-Sep-09 18:39:08

I'd always want someone to tell me if my DS wasn't happy somewhere, then I could do something about it. I'd feel sad if he was in a situation where he was sad/unhappy and couldn't tell me that himself.

diddl Sun 13-Sep-09 18:48:21

I think it was right to tell her.
It also sounds like a cräp childs club-perhaps you can tell us where so that it can be avoided!

I would also tell the tour company how badly run it was.

sayithowitis Sun 13-Sep-09 18:55:05

YANBU to tell her, however, I think it was a bit U to only tell her on the last night. By that time she could not do anything about it and now probably feels really bad that her DS was unhappy during the holiday and she didn't know about it and could do nothing about it.

So, in the circumstances I think you should have either told her earlier or not told her at all. Nobody has benefitted by being told on the last night and if she was as nice as you say, she probably feels awful now and any pleasure in her holiday has been diminished!

Sorry.

hanaboo Sun 13-Sep-09 18:59:05

yea, i think the same thing, kinda pointless to say on the last night.... but if it was that bad i think someone should make a complaint, i mean think of all the other english kids who will be visiting there in the future

rookiemater Sun 13-Sep-09 20:08:49

I should explain, it wasn't their last night it was ours !

Diddl it was indeed a crap childrens club but there were lots of redeeming features to the place so other than that it was fab. Good idea about mentioning to the tour company, I will definitely do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now