Talk

Advanced search

to think it's high time somebody started an "I'm an imperfect mother" thread on here? Jeeez the number of perfectly perfect mums on here atm is quite scary

(566 Posts)
emkana Sat 12-Sep-09 23:32:48

Okay I'll start

I'm not a perfect mother because

I lose my temper
I let them watch x factor and the cube on a Saturday night, and don't even read them a bedtime story after
I've taken them out of school for holidays

2shoes Sat 12-Sep-09 23:33:40

well I Am not perfect as I am a bit <<<<<whispers>>> drunk

emkana Sat 12-Sep-09 23:33:40

please ignore this one

emkana Sat 12-Sep-09 23:34:21

ah too late smile

Oh well we'll just let both run

(waves to 2shoes)

motherfuckingcuntfacedtwat Sat 12-Sep-09 23:34:23

I've stopped listening to them when they whitter on because the novelty of having kids is starting to bore me now.

LetThemEatCake Sat 12-Sep-09 23:40:26

who?? who is so perfect? Examples of perfection please
<aspirational emocion>>

I know that I am not perfect because:
I get bored playing games and make excuses to wander off and check my phone/ read a bit of the paper/ check out clothing websites
I have not abstained from alcohol during this pregnancy. Nor sushi.
I drove home a few weeks ago having forgotten to buckle my dd's carseat belt (she was asleep)
I lose my temper and raise my voice
I don't always intervene when they are killing each other

moondog Sat 12-Sep-09 23:44:20

My ds said
Fuck it fuck it fuck it fuck it! the other day.
Wonder where that came from?

I once smoked and breastfed (but surely one cancels t'other out?)

I was pissed three night in a row last weeekend and my ds was found asleep in the visiting dog's basket at about 2:00 am (I stayed up until 4)

I don;t know anyone on here who claims to be perfect thoguh.

moondog Sat 12-Sep-09 23:45:55

(Let, I'll have that IO code from you when you are ready please)

Ah, another sin! I waste time looking at nice clothes on t'internet.

LetThemEatCake Sat 12-Sep-09 23:46:56

oooh, moondog - go back to S&B thread, re Isabella Oliver - will chat to you there

bronze Sat 12-Sep-09 23:50:41

I@m just generally crap. Too much to list but lazy seems to be on there grin

LetThemEatCake Sat 12-Sep-09 23:53:57

Oh yes, my ds made his first 'sentence' the other day

"Back Off!"

complete with dismissive arm gesture

strangely, I was instantly transported to the kitchen, struggling to make dinner while the dcs hang around my legs begging for juice ...

"

Stayingsunnygirl Sat 12-Sep-09 23:55:22

I'm so imperfect that I'm approaching perfect from the other side - grin.

I lose my temper, don't make the dses beds for them, forget to ask if they have got homework, sometimes refuse to share nice snacks with them, don't always let them have sleepovers because it's too much effort for me.....

Oh - and two-thirds of them think I am awful because I made them come out with us to the beach to play with the dog - because it was a gorgeous day and I thought they should make the most of it!! Such cruelty.

bosch Sat 12-Sep-09 23:55:35

I have promised ds1 that I won't shout at him tomorrow because it's his birthday blush. Hope I can keep the promise.

If I think about it I'm sure I can give you lots of other reasons why I am sooo not a perfect mother, but I'll get maudlin so had better not right now!

hmc Sun 13-Sep-09 00:00:57

I'm so imperfect I don't really think I want to admit it!

PrettyCandles Sun 13-Sep-09 00:15:48

Qutoe of the week, Stayingsunny

"I'm so imperfect that I'm approaching perfect from the other side"

I like it. grin

Deeeja Sun 13-Sep-09 01:39:55

I told my 6 year old I am busy when I am reading thread on here, and he now thinks I am busy when he sees MN on my laptop
I get bored reading the same books over and over again. I try to skip pages to shorten them.
I don't always make sure they have brushed their teeth before bed.
I eat sweets at night but don't let them.
I let them watch tv for hours because I am tired, and at least they are quiet then.
Today I spent the entire day trying to get away from them
I can't wait until Monday.

Deeeja Sun 13-Sep-09 01:41:03

Also, am already dreading half-term

rogertheshrubber Sun 13-Sep-09 01:50:16

I wasnt on MN a while as a SAHD I thought I didnt fit and was utterly inadequate.....

I let mine watch hours of Cbeebies.

They eat sweets sometimes.

I get bloody sick of them too.

I like my four hours rest when they are in KG.

But...I can't imagine life without them.

BitOfFun Sun 13-Sep-09 01:54:05

I do rather like being free of the sprogs when they go to my ex- can I join the slummy mummy's club?

emkana Sun 13-Sep-09 07:48:46

the more the merrier smile

geordieminx Sun 13-Sep-09 07:54:27

How bad is this - ds (2.4) is watching videos on youtube on 1 half of the laptop while I MN on the other half.

I would, however like to point out that its clips of fans/helicopters etc. Nowt dodgy grin

FaintlyMacabre Sun 13-Sep-09 07:58:02

Ha Ha- mine is doing exactly the same! Except he's got cement mixers and trains!

nymphadora Sun 13-Sep-09 08:00:53

Me too bitoffun!

mumof2teenboys Sun 13-Sep-09 08:10:31

Please can I join in? I've spent 19 years being imperfect and thought I was the only one wink

My list of imperfections is long but I have never done the crafty, messy stuff, couldn't stand it, used to send them outside with those big chalks from ELC and let them scrawl all over the drive.

Used to use story tapes instead of reading bedtime stories.

Hated listening to them read, so used to send their reading books to their dads at weekends, he didn't do much else with them.

Didn't intervene when they were fighting unless there was blood.

There is so many more, but I think I better stop grin

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 13-Sep-09 08:32:26

does anyone really think they are a perfect parent? truly?

We all think we are right at the time though! We all do what we think is the right thing, because to decide to do something we think at the time is the wrong thing - well, that'd just be weird! It's only later, when we look back, that we think hmmm, that probably wasn't great. Who is going to go, you know what, I'm going to do X because I think it's poor parenting / the wrong thing to do / is not right for my kids.

We all do the best for them, it's just that fairly often, it turns out to have been a mistake <sigh>. But you don't know that it will, because you don't have a crystal ball!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now