Talk

Advanced search

to tell ds the truth about santa

(149 Posts)
elmofan Sat 12-Sep-09 14:37:59

hi , just looking for your opinions please , ds has started asking questions about weather Santa is REAL , well he asked last year & we kept up the pretence but he is 10.7 & will be 11 at the end of January , i think its time we told him the truth about Santa if he asks again whereas DH wants to keep the pretence going , trouble is I'm worried that this will make ds a target for bullies , as he has been bullied before & i know quite a lot of his friends do NOT believe any more . is is time to let our pfb grow up or is dh right ? x

HigherThanAWombat Sat 12-Sep-09 14:38:50

Tell him the truth. When he next asks answer honestly.

SlartyBartFast Sat 12-Sep-09 14:40:06

keep up the pretence, tongue in cheek, or drop hints.
stockigns are good.

andiem Sat 12-Sep-09 14:40:27

if he asks tell him the truth
my ds1 is 9 and I thought he had stopped beleiving last year but he hadn't
if he asks this year I will tell him

QOD Sat 12-Sep-09 14:41:41

Awwwwwwwwww - I think the time is coming sniff

They only have this last Xmas really - because then they will be a big school and will DEFFO get bullied if they still beleive!

hatesponge Sat 12-Sep-09 14:44:42

My parents told me 'the truth' when I was 7 or 8. They were worried I would be bullied - as it turned out I was one of the first in my class to know!

My DS is 11; he thinks that FC might not be real, but refuses to admit this outright in case he doesn't get any presents (thereby sensibly hedging his bets! grin)

I wouldn't tell him outright, but dropping hints is probably a good approach

purepurple Sat 12-Sep-09 14:45:00

Tell him the truth, but keep the magic alive at christmas by labelling one of his presents from santa. You can also check santa's preogress on the internet, santa tracker, I think.
DD is 12 and we still do this.
When Ds was at primary school the head teacher told the whole school that santa didn't exist. Heartless bastard.
He had no kids, but he did have a yellow sports car.

MmeProf Sat 12-Sep-09 14:45:20

We have always been truthful to our children. I don't understand parents who wish to trick their children into thinking that the legend/fairy story is real.

plonker Sat 12-Sep-09 14:47:03

Hmmm, I'm nearing that stage with my dd1 (9.8).

I know others will say that she doesn't believe still, that she's just doing it for my benefit, but she does.

I won't ever tell her the 'truth'. I'm kind of hoping she comes to the realisation without me re-inforcing it, but remains happy to go along with it for her little sisters.

It's hard isn't it? Because I don't want her to reach secondary school still believing, but I promised myself since I was a child that I would never ruin my children's Christmasses by telling them that Father Christmas isn't real (I asked my mum when I was 9 and she told me ...I still remember how crushed I was [saddo]).

PS. Thread titles like this are generally best avoided too - just in case littlies peep over shoulders ...although I guess the truth could be anything really grin

elmofan Sat 12-Sep-09 14:48:02

thanks , i have been talking to him this morning as he was telling me what he wants to ask Santa for , i tried to suss him out as to weather he REALLLLLY believes & from his response i really think he does wholeheartedly , when he told us yesterday that his friend x told him Santa does not exist dh told ds Santa does exist , & put on the dvd of " the polar express "
when ds went to bed i told dh that i don't want ds to be made a fool of in school as he has already been bullied before & maybe we should just tell him but dh wants to try get 1 more xmas out of ds believing

plonker Sat 12-Sep-09 14:49:08

"We have always been truthful to our children. I don't understand parents who wish to trick their children into thinking that the legend/fairy story is real"

hmm

Because we're evil manipulating liars who wish to psychologically damage our naive offspring ...

HigherThanAWombat Sat 12-Sep-09 14:56:22

I found out when I was 9 I think. I'd had suspicions for some time and asked my mother while going down the escalator in M&S.
She answered truthfully and I wasn't at all crushed. I was happy that she was honest with me.

My only reaction was to remark that it's just as well she told me or when I had my own children that I'd still have been waiting for Santa to bring their gifts.blush

purepurple Sat 12-Sep-09 14:57:41

I've just remembered we didn't have to tell DD the truth. DS did it for us, just like big brothers do.

elmofan Sat 12-Sep-09 14:58:03

plonker grin soooo true .

purepurple shocki would have killed that teacher . yep ds & dd do the santa tracker on xmas eve , last year i had to peel ds off the pc for meal times grin
he still has 2 more years to go in primary school {not in the uk)
i don't think i will be able to bring myself to tell him so i guess i am hoping that he realises it for himself sad i remember that heart breaking feeling when i found out .

elmofan Sat 12-Sep-09 15:02:40

that's another issue purepurple , dh is worried that ds will tell his little sister (3) that Santa is not real , as ds loves to wind her up

MmeProf Sat 12-Sep-09 15:05:11

I suspect that you are being flippant, plonker.

So what is the truthful reason for lying to your children?

I seriously don't get it.

purepurple Sat 12-Sep-09 15:07:39

elmofan, I think that thousands of children over the years have been told by an older sibling about santa. I am sure they all coped and haven't been emotionally scarred grin
DS was 7 when DD was born and has teased her relentlessly ever since. He still does now, and he is 20 angry and should know better. But, she copes, and gives as good as she gets.

PrincessToadstool Sat 12-Sep-09 15:12:20

What's wrong with giving a little bit of magic to Christmas? It's not a lie, it's a fairy tale. It is harmless and exciting. FWIW DP and I did wonder when I was pregnant which view to take as it all seemed a bit silly but now we think quite differently.

I'd tell him that FC (NOT Santa!) is real to anyone who wants to believe he is real. You can know the truth and still 'play along'

plonker Sat 12-Sep-09 15:13:38

"I suspect that you are being flippant, plonker" - Ya think?

Magic MmeProf. For me, I want my children to believe in Father Christmas because of the magic. Sorry it's not a deeper reason.

Oh, and I don't consider it lying either. The spirit of FC is very true IMHO, even if the man in the red suit isn't.

Obviously I'm only speaking for myself and my family here.

Whether you 'get it' is of no concern to me. I'm not trying to convince you smile

MmeProf Sat 12-Sep-09 15:13:59

Isn't Christmas magical enough? God made mad, etc.

trellism Sat 12-Sep-09 15:15:12

I wasn't brought up to think Santa is real and have no intention of letting DD believe otherwise. I did have sufficient decency to keep this knowledge to myself, so possibly the only lasting effect is to have made me a smug git who likes being right.

I cannot see the point of pretending that presents arrive via a fat bloke that comes down the chimney.

elmofan Sat 12-Sep-09 15:15:32

lol purepurple , i have a 7yr age gap too between dc's so your telling the teasing doesn't get any better eh grin .
mmeprof - have you never told a little white lie to your dc's ? we dont intend to lie to the dc's just think the magic of Santa has created GREAT excitement & wonder , did you believe in Santa when you were little , smile

MmeProf Sat 12-Sep-09 15:15:32

Oops = God made man

PrincessToadstool Sat 12-Sep-09 15:16:28

Magical 'enough' - what is the upper limit on that?

MmeProf Sat 12-Sep-09 15:17:47

It is pretty difficult to trump God becoming man and being born in a stable in Bethlemen. You want more than that???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now