Talk

Advanced search

Cannot stand bad spelling on Facebook and Twitter

(10 Posts)
pigletmania Sat 12-Sep-09 10:42:16

I cannot stand poor spelling when I see my friends statuses or updates. Words used like wot and, ru, thinkin, basically poor use of grammar. Why dont people make an effort anymore, I know that they can spell, its just being lazy. I could understand if they were not able to spell but this no no.

FfreckleFface Sat 12-Sep-09 10:47:45

Oh God I agree. I am a freelence proofreader/copyeditor, so my inner pedant has a free reign, and what you describe drives me bananas.

A woman who lives in our street sent me a text message yesterday. It took me about five minutes she was asking me whether my daughter is starting the same nursery as her daughter. It seemed initially that she had sent a random collection of letters and numbers!

pigletmania Sat 12-Sep-09 10:50:30

Totally, i have recieved text messages that I am unable to decipher due to the sloppy spelling and use of acronymes(i have probably spelt that wrong lol).

Oxymoronic Sat 12-Sep-09 10:53:50

Is it being lazy? It's hardly any effort to spell wot as what. It's much more to do with being in the 'in' group and using a language that they use in an informal way. I don't see why it should annoy you, if you don't want to us that type of spelling etc there's nothing stopping you spelling everything out in full, don't you use any acronyms on here at all? smile

tethersend Sat 12-Sep-09 10:55:07

'Definately' and 'would of' are rife on Facebook.

It drives me insane.

pigletmania Sat 12-Sep-09 11:02:08

Not really oxymoronic, it took me a while to work out what those acronyms on here were, I had to ask other Mumsnetters. Some kids even use slang in their GCSE exams and A levels which I dont agree with at all. Its not only about Facebook and Twitter it extends to letter writing, essays it just annoys me. I guess that I am just used to writing in a more traditional way how we were taught at school back in the day.

Oxymoronic Sat 12-Sep-09 11:11:25

I can see what you're saying, it's about knowing when not to use it, and I agree using it in exams it a definate no no!

But getting across a message on facebook/twitter is lighthearted so 'wot r u up to tonite?' looks so much lighter than 'what is everybody going to do tonight?' that's why people use emoticons on here, because you can't put the humour in the text if you write everything out in full. You've just got to get hip with the kids lol <says me at 38 grin>

pigletmania Sat 12-Sep-09 11:53:49

Maby I am just being a grumpy old woman, I should be on that TV progrmme lol

Oxymoronic Sat 12-Sep-09 12:09:07

There you see...you're using lol without even thinking about it, so you can't be that grumpy or old lol grin

Didn't piglet use ttfn bless him?

pigletmania Sat 12-Sep-09 12:11:33

yes i think he did or was it Tigger.No I am nice really just very opinionated at times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now