Talk

Advanced search

To think that Vogue have shot themselves in the foot agreeing to "The September Issue"

(18 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Fri 11-Sep-09 22:20:12

I know that Vogue is meant to be the epitome of style.

And that Anna Wintour is blah blah - nuclear Wintour - blah blah - Devil wears Prada

But how is anyone going to take Vogue's fashion advice in future, once they have watched this film and realised that Vogue is run by:

OLD

LADIES

?

Well I mean . . . how?

HarlotOTara Fri 11-Sep-09 22:29:31

YABU - you are being ageist. What difference does their age make to anything?

GypsyMoth Fri 11-Sep-09 22:33:43

Vogue doesn't even have a young image, it's a bit stuffy and, old fashioned anyway!!

Corporalcornsilk Fri 11-Sep-09 22:38:06

And your point is...?

BalloonSlayer Fri 11-Sep-09 22:38:46

Oh, I thought it did have a young image!

My mistake (too old to know any better!).

I hoped I was not being ageist as such, HarlotOTara, rather I hoped I was pointing out that much of their readership probably IS ageist, and that revealing that most of the fashion recommendations are by "dames d'une age certaine" might be off-putting to the young trendies that bought Vogue.*

But ILT tells us they don't anyway, so that's all right!

fishie Fri 11-Sep-09 22:39:06

yes. it is.

BalloonSlayer Fri 11-Sep-09 22:39:28

can you tell I am merde at French?

Corporalcornsilk Fri 11-Sep-09 22:40:01

Oui!

tallulahbelly Fri 11-Sep-09 22:40:14

God, you're right. They probably have withered fannies. Ewww!

Grow up

Meglet Fri 11-Sep-09 22:40:42

Old ladies have ££££££ to spend on clothes. (well the rich ones do). Far more than some young dollybird has anyway.

GypsyMoth Fri 11-Sep-09 22:40:54

Maybe they already knew this, hence it's not got such a young image??!

fishie Fri 11-Sep-09 22:41:59

that's the point of vogue though. some people with a lot of experience showing the rest of us some new stuff with the help of some other people who may or may not be old. or young.

Monty100 Fri 11-Sep-09 22:46:42

OP - if its not to your taste don't read it. Simples!

BalloonSlayer Fri 11-Sep-09 22:47:15

I have a withered one meself Tallulahbelly. Nowt wrong with that.

I was talking about a magazine's projection to their target audience, neither of which I give a shit about, and whether they might have made a mistake.

I am not saying that older people should not give fashion advice to the young.

I am saying that if, as an older person, you wish to give fashion advice to the young, it is a good idea to do so when the young people involved are not able to look you up-and-down and sneer.

And Vogue seem to have given sneering opportunities with this fillum.

Monty100 Fri 11-Sep-09 22:48:18

Snore

tallulahbelly Fri 11-Sep-09 23:13:19

But Vogue's target audience isn't consumers whether young or old.

It's the multi billion dollar fashion industry - advertisers, manufacturers and retailers.

Very rich people consume the products featured in Vogue - primarily via the advertising.

People with less money - most of us - consume the same or similar things to a greater or lesser extent when they filter to more affordable outlets.

Monty100 Fri 11-Sep-09 23:32:55

Tallu - well said. wink

picmaestress Sun 13-Sep-09 01:38:55

YABU

It's run by older people, sure, because they have the experience to know how to do it brilliantly and efficiently, and they know how to hire talented people. No different from any other industry.

Most of the concepts and fashion are chosen or at least pre-selected for the chief editor by fashion editors who are between 25 and 50. I work at Conde Nast, and can honestly say that age is immaterial, and talent and originality are everything. You are only as good as your latest work, and judging by Vogue's enduring success, they're doing okay with that attitude (despite apparently having an old and stuffy image grin)

The film just shows how a magazine is run...I just can't see how it would put anyone off buying it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now