Talk

Advanced search

To insist on buying a cot for DD rather than a bed for DS?

(46 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Fri 11-Sep-09 20:16:24

Message withdrawn

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 11-Sep-09 20:20:28

Personally I would buy the bed for DS - he is 3 so perfectly old enough. However I do see your reservations.

Could you buy a second hand cot for DD? It does seem a lot to spendwhen you will end up with effectively two cots then have to buy a bed anyway in about a year!

differentID Fri 11-Sep-09 20:21:35

get a cot for the baby. your ds could feel pushed out if he has to give up his fabulous safe little haven for the new baby. If he can use the cotbed up to about 5 then you can go for a raised bed later on which will give more storage opportunities in his bedroom.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 20:22:32

Cot for the baby.

If you are near me I am selling mine wink

MsHighwater Fri 11-Sep-09 20:22:33

I agree with meemarsgotabrandnewbump. Don't just think about what you're going to spend this time. Take into account the long term spend.

BertieBotts Fri 11-Sep-09 20:23:32

I agree with you - buy a cheap/secondhand cot and a new mattress for it for DD.

allaboutme Fri 11-Sep-09 20:24:16

I'd buy the cot
Unless DH was VERY convincing in saying that he would do his fair share of helping DS get used to new bed/putting back to bed in night

(But saying that, if your DS is perfectly happy in cot at 3 and no signs of even attempting to climb out then he is probably tame enough to stay in bed too. My terror of a DS1 was climbing out of his cot at 20 months and was a HORROR for getting out of bed too!)

craftynclothy Fri 11-Sep-09 20:25:06

Well at some point you're going to buy a bed for ds, so in some ways your dh's way is going to save money (cos you won't be buying a 2nd cot)

Personally I'd go with putting ds in a bed. Dd1 has been in a bed since 16 months (and she hadn't shown any signs of wanting to climb out etc) but we didn't have dd2 then so if it hadn't worked out we still had the cot so I see where you're coming from.

I guess it depends on your finances too. i.e. if the bed didn't work out could you buy a cot too?

MarthaFarquhar Fri 11-Sep-09 20:25:21

I'd buy a bed.Your DS might surprise you and take to the bed like a duck to water. We were dreading moving 2.6 yo DD from cot to bed recently, but she's done brilliantly, and the new bed makes her feel very special indeed.

craftynclothy Fri 11-Sep-09 20:25:31

Well at some point you're going to buy a bed for ds, so in some ways your dh's way is going to save money (cos you won't be buying a 2nd cot)

Personally I'd go with putting ds in a bed. Dd1 has been in a bed since 16 months (and she hadn't shown any signs of wanting to climb out etc) but we didn't have dd2 then so if it hadn't worked out we still had the cot so I see where you're coming from.

I guess it depends on your finances too. i.e. if the bed didn't work out could you buy a cot too?

CarGirl Fri 11-Sep-09 20:25:44

Get a cot! Try asking on freecycle or get one of those cheap ones from Ikea, look for a local one on ebay etc etc etc

Getting a cot doesn't have to be that expensive.

ElectricElephant Fri 11-Sep-09 20:26:17

why don't you change the cot bed to a bed, and see how he gets on? If he's happy in it then you'd probably be OK getting a bed for him, if not then buy DD a cot.

ravenAK Fri 11-Sep-09 20:26:41

Our (bought 2nd hand, used for ds & dd1) cotbed was absolutely knackered by the time dd2 arrived - dd1 was in a bed anyway by then.

We just used a travel cot to avoid buying a new one - & dd2 moved straight from it to a bed at 14 months.

You could try the travel cot option for a few months, by which point ds might be ready for a bed?

Single beds also come out on freecycle quite regularly, so you could save a bit that way - just buy ds a new mattress & bedding...

danthe4th Fri 11-Sep-09 20:27:02

Buy the cot, all my children loved their cot till they were age 4 and feet were touching the end, why upset bedtimes for the sake of money.

CarGirl Fri 11-Sep-09 20:30:17

Cots take up less floor area in bedrooms which was something I considered important because we are shoe horned into a small house grin

thisisyesterday Fri 11-Sep-09 20:33:10

i would buy the bed,. you're going to have to buyt a new bed and all related sutff anyway in probably not that long.
your way you're spending twice, even if the initial spend is less.

CyradisTheSeer Fri 11-Sep-09 20:33:34

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Fri 11-Sep-09 20:37:58

but it will work out. it might take a bit of patience, but i'm sure it'll be fine.

we've just put our almost 2 year old into a bed so his baby hbrother can have the cot and he's been fine!
i was dreading it as i thought he'd be a real nightmare (he's a whirlwind during the day who never does as he's told lol) but it's really been fine

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 11-Sep-09 20:38:16

If it's one or the other then it has to be the bed. Your DS can't stay in his cot forever so bite the bullet and make the move!

As others have said, you may be surprised how well he takes to it. Although I appreciate how fretful it can be to change a good bedtime routine.

thisisyesterday Fri 11-Sep-09 20:38:43

also, why would you need a new cotbed matteres~? just use the one you have surely?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 20:41:32

IMO it is best to buy a new mattress for each new child.

Meglet Fri 11-Sep-09 20:49:25

I think you should go for a cot. I did the same, didn't want DS getting out of a bed when I was looking after a baby and don't have much room for a bed in his room.

thisisyesterday Fri 11-Sep-09 20:54:55

really? hmmm i thought i t was ok for siblings to share, but you shouild get a new one if it was from someone else?

mine is on its third baby. oh, what to do

cjones2979 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:58:51

Could you not try DS in the cotbed as a bed for a few nights, maybe over this weekend & see how he goes ?
I'm sure a few more nights in the moses basket isn't going to hurt your DD while you try this out.
That way, the decision will be made for you as to what you need to buy & will save arguments between you & DH !!

P.S - Personally, I think you need to make the progression from cot to bed with your 3 year old ASAP. You can't keep him a baby forever (sadly sad)

HTH. smile

ElectricElephant Sun 13-Sep-09 00:26:09

what have you decided to do? I think the answer is in the question - just convert the cot bed to a bed and see how he deals with it. Proceed from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now