Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at this comment from the A&E nurse

(78 Posts)
pregnantpeppa Fri 11-Sep-09 20:14:15

Went to A&E today as my DD (2.5) had trapped her fingers in the front door (actually, I slammed the door on them accidentally - terrible, terrible guilt).

I was really shaken, so was DD obviously, when we got to A&E it was only about 30mins after it had happened, she was still really crying and so was I as it happened as I felt so awful. She has to have a general tomorrow to remove two of her finger nails.

Anyway - nurse saw her, sent us off to get an x-ray. As I picked up my DD to carry her, the nurse said - is there something wrong with her legs too? Really sarky. I actually thought it was a genuine enquiry for a moment and said oh no they are fine, and then realised she was just being bloody rude! Am I unreasonable to want to carry my 2.5 year old after a nasty accident and be annoyed at the snooty comment? I did initially pick her up almost like a baby cradled in my arms, that probably looked a bit over the top and possibly that might have been the reason for the sarcasm but it was because I had a heavy bag and was kind of trying to scoop her up without bashing her fingers against me- I had intended to then put her on my hip like a normal toddler carrying position! And surely I can carry my hurt child however I like!

Lilyloo Fri 11-Sep-09 20:15:51

yanbu the nurse should have realised how upset you were and as you say how you carry your child is no cause for comment

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 11-Sep-09 20:16:11

YANBU - rude cow!

pinkthechaffinch Fri 11-Sep-09 20:16:15

YANBU, she sounds like a cow.

I wouldn't take it any further though, just try and forget about it.

MavisEnderby Fri 11-Sep-09 20:16:45

Nah,she sounds like a cow.

I would never dream of speaking to a patient of mine like this.

Tryharder Fri 11-Sep-09 20:16:48

Poor you and poor DD.

YANBU to be annoyed but I would let it wash over my TBH. The nurse was probably having a bad day.

Hope the op goes well.

hambler Fri 11-Sep-09 20:16:48

what a bizarre comment for the nurse to make.
Was she otherwise friendly?

LovelyTinOfSpam Fri 11-Sep-09 20:17:16

YANBU she was being a total bitch, try to put it out of your mind, some people are just horrible.

MsHighwater Fri 11-Sep-09 20:17:27

Hard to be certain without being there but it sounds out of order. 2.5 is only little, after all. Tone of voice probably most important.

brimfull Fri 11-Sep-09 20:17:36

yanbu
I would be annoyed-nothing wrong with carrying a 2.5 yr old when they need reassuring.

She was being insensitive.

allaboutme Fri 11-Sep-09 20:18:19

YANBU how fucking rude. I would be really pissed off at that.

ThingOne Fri 11-Sep-09 20:19:13

Perfectly normal to carry a small child when they are hurt or upset. How strange.

Hassled Fri 11-Sep-09 20:19:31

YANBU but it's not worth fretting over - she sounds like a snotty cow. Hope your DD gets on OK tomorrow.

And quit with the guilt - we've all been there. Many years ago, I failed to strap DC3 properly into his car seat and tipped him on to the pavement. In fact I've managed to maim each of the DCs at some point blush.

dilemma456 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:44:18

Message withdrawn

Mybox Fri 11-Sep-09 20:47:25

yanbu - what a stupid thing for her to say - of course you should be carrying your child as the contact with you will help calm the situation. Hope your dd is feeling better soon.

NervousNutty Fri 11-Sep-09 20:47:28

YANBU. Ds is 6 but if he was upset and worried as most small children in a hospital would be then I would carry him too.

nickytwotimes Fri 11-Sep-09 20:52:19

Yanbu.
Bloody rude!

SpawnChorus Fri 11-Sep-09 20:55:35

YANBU. What a bitch! Be glad that your original response (taking it as a genuine enquiry) was probably the best way to rebuff her twattishness.

corriefan Fri 11-Sep-09 21:01:29

YANBU. That is so nasty. Why on earth would anyone say that? Really hope you all heal soon.

pregnantpeppa Fri 11-Sep-09 21:02:07

Glad I was not being unreasonable! Thought maybe I was being OTT being so upset myself. Don't feel so bothered about it now - but can't really believe that woman is a nurse in children's A&E. Reminds me why I HATE hospitals so much - remembering snooty midwife for whom it was too much trouble to pass me a glass of water 2 foot in front of her while I was feeding baby after a c-section - "can't you get it yourself after the baby finishes?". Bitch. God I am pregnant with DC2 and hope I can have a home birth this time, anything to avoid hospital staff! I know the majority are nice but think its the worst thing for people to be rude to ill people. DH will be with me tomorrow so he can hopefully defend us against any rudeness.

pregnantpeppa Fri 11-Sep-09 21:03:12

Sorry forgot to say thanks for all the replies and good wishes as well x

ohnelly Fri 11-Sep-09 21:05:33

YANBU how bloody rude!!! I would do the same with my DS and he is 3.5years old. angry

InMyLittleHead Fri 11-Sep-09 21:14:43

YANBU, stupid cow. She should reserve her energies for commenting on medical matters, rather than insignificant things which are fuck-all to do with her.

Don't feel guilty, accidents happen.

minxofmancunia Fri 11-Sep-09 21:20:13

yanbu, can't believe the "communication skills" of some nurses (speaking as one).

YANBU snotty nurse

poor DD too, hope she gets better really soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now