Talk

Advanced search

To want to tell a barista to (Star)buck off!

(31 Posts)
QueenNeurosis Fri 11-Sep-09 19:57:21

About to pop with first lo in a few weeks. Been really good all pregnancy apart from a few bites of a brie sandwich (bliss!). Hellish week at work and so went for a Starbucks after work with my friends and ordered a frappucino, ready to relax on the terrace. When I went to collect it from the end of the bar the barista, holidng back the coffee said, seriously, not joking, although if he was joing I would still have liked to smack him, 'Are you allowed to drink this?' I was so shocked that I mumbled something about being allowed coffee occasionally (Hate myself for justifying myself to him) before he looked at me doubtfully and handed the coffee over. Wish I'd gone mad at the time but felt really silly as was quite busy and I felt that everyone was looking at me. Worth ringing up to complain?

Thanks

GoneCuckoo Fri 11-Sep-09 19:59:35

No.
Pity him his ignorance.
Poor, un-educated fool!

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 11-Sep-09 20:01:20

I would ring and have a word if only to make sure he is informed of the facts.

It's not his place to question what customers buy.

SolidGoldBrass Fri 11-Sep-09 20:04:35

I would complain, officious little tit. It;s up to you what you eat and drink while PG.

RibenaBerry Fri 11-Sep-09 20:05:13

Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting. Some stranger will always think that they have the right to judge. Think of it as aclimatisation training!

pregnantpeppa Fri 11-Sep-09 20:06:49

What a knob! I am trying to think of a really smart alec reply, I'm sure someone will come up with something, but I would have justified myself too and hated myself afterwards. Perhaps - "are you allowed to be so rude to all your customers" would have been good?

I probbaly wouldn't ring up to complain as I tend to get more worked up about things if I do that after the event but you would be within your rights to I think.

Remember getting a sideways look from the waitress when I ordered a glass of wine pregnant - I just stared her out and she didn't have the nerve to say anything luckily as I am crap at confrontation!

HigherThanAWombat Fri 11-Sep-09 20:08:48

I'd have said you're right,not without a shot of rum/Baileys in it.

What a strange person. What does he think will happen if you have a coffee? Next time he's there I'd make it a triple shot.

QueenNeurosis Fri 11-Sep-09 20:11:09

What do they call it? The wit of the staircase? As I walked off I wish I'd said something about off to drink it with a nice fag or a line of coke or something...

ravenAK Fri 11-Sep-09 20:15:14

'Ooooh. Now you mention it, maybe it'd be better if I didn't drink it & you wore it.'

What a silly little berk. I'd be v tempted to complain!

ThingOne Fri 11-Sep-09 20:20:49

The barista was, for example, being a twat grin.

chegirl Fri 11-Sep-09 20:21:59

Bloody hell when I am pregnant I am a lary cow. I would have said 'none of your fucking business'. No smart comebacks for me grin

TrillianAstra Fri 11-Sep-09 20:28:30

The barista was, for example, being a twat grin

I concur.

pooexplosions Fri 11-Sep-09 20:28:42

I was getting the dine in for 2 thing in marks today as a special treat for DH, and asked a staffer where the wine was for it, and he gives me a lookover (all 36 weeks of me, pushing a buggy too) and pointedly shows me over to the orange juice and sparkly apple you can get if you don't want the wine. I thought he was a bit dim until I recognised the judgey look, so I says, I think you misheard me, I asked for the wine hmm and he just mumbles sorry missus and points to the far wall.....

Judgey old git.......

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 11-Sep-09 20:30:54

pooexplosions shock

I might go into Thresher tomorrow with my huge belly and pick up a 4 pack of Diamond White. Just to see the reaction grin

tethersend Fri 11-Sep-09 20:33:33

You should have thanked him and asked politely where you could smoke. Crack.

Sassybeast Fri 11-Sep-09 20:35:02

Perhaps he has a by the book girlfriend/wife/mother/sister who's told him all the bad things ? Only a thought cos I've just noticed that my mate on FB, who is due any day, has replied to a message from her cousin when he said 'Oh - nearly there - has (Local hospital) got a birthing pool as waterbirths are best for mother and baby?' (He and his partner awaiting the birth of his first baby via a third party)

Her response was fairly colourful - this is her 4th baby wink

KIMItheThreadSlayer Fri 11-Sep-09 20:40:56

He works in Starbucks FGS if he was bright he would have a better job grin

PrincessToadstool Fri 11-Sep-09 20:41:58

What a knob. Surely they see pregnant women, like, all the time????

Asana Fri 11-Sep-09 21:14:00

Erm, can I just say that perhaps he thought you weren't aware that a frapp had caffeine in it and wanted to make sure you knew what you were buying? In my young and ignorant days, I ordered a frapp at a SB thinking it was a simple milkshake then spent the next hour wondering why my heart was racing like crazy (copious amounts of sugar, I can handle - when it comes to caffeine, I'm a serious lightweight!). Just a thought smile

On a separate note, when I was pregnant with DS last year, I went to a cocktail bar in Covent Garden and ordered a non-alcoholic cocktail which was on the drinks menu, only to be told by the 'cocktail maestro' behind the bar that he didn't "do" non-alcoholic cocktails and that I should order a "proper" drink. On telling him I was pregnant and didn't want a drink with alcohol, he still insisted that he was a professional mixer who wouldn't be caught dead doing drinks for "lightweights" hmm and unceremoniously passed my request on to his colleague! Yes, I made a complaint to the manager, resulting in free non-alcoholic cocktails for the remainder of the night grin and a grovelling apology from the little turd!

LuubyLuu Fri 11-Sep-09 23:44:44

I would send a quick complaint to them via their website, as you're likely to receive free vouchers.

I complained once about the rudeness of one of their staff (who told me that I clearly didn't know what a cappuccino was supposed to taste like) and got a bundle of free coffee vouchers.

Am an 18 week pregnant coffee addict myself!!

InMyLittleHead Sat 12-Sep-09 00:57:33

You should have asked whether you were allowed to punch him in the throat. Twat.

MrsGladpuss Sat 12-Sep-09 01:21:30

What a tit. I would have said "Of course it's fine. Now hurry up I'm dying for a fag" and strutted out.

When I was 39 weeks pregnant a hairdresser refused to do my highlights. Despite my having been to the salon 3 times during my pregnancy to get them done. I told her where to go. She did the highlights and I changed salon.

snapple Sat 12-Sep-09 07:16:16

you really should not have paid for your coffee, as your ritual was interrupted and especially given starbuck prices, .. but I will have great pleasure in telling people to starbuck off from now on. smile

skihorse Sat 12-Sep-09 08:13:49

shock You poor thing - and I pity any woman who ever gets pregnant by him!

You should of course have mentioned that it's such a shame you can't smoke inside anymore...

macdoodle Sat 12-Sep-09 08:40:17

Wow how ignorant !! YANBU at all for being mad!
YABU however for not challenging him then and there - I would have exploded and asked him who the hell he thought he was and to get his manager right now to apologise me and refund the cost of my coffee grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now