Talk

Advanced search

aibu to say to a friend i think she needs to take her daughter to the drs?

(19 Posts)
thesecondcoming Fri 11-Sep-09 13:57:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

morningpaper Fri 11-Sep-09 14:01:26

I would mention it, yes.

Curiousmama Fri 11-Sep-09 14:03:13

Yes mention it she may not have noticed?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 14:03:58

I already had concerns about my son when my husband's cousin pointed that DS was doing something. She apologised but I thanked her as I figured it was a good enough reason to take him to be checked if someone else had commented.

Just casually ask if her daughter's leg is okay as you noticed xyz. It isn't so much as what you say as how you say it.

brimfull Fri 11-Sep-09 14:03:59

yes mention but difficulty is how to say it

belgo Fri 11-Sep-09 14:05:04

I was glad when my sil told me that my dd1 couldn't hear properly; I hadn't really noticed but it turned out she needed gromits.

So do mention it.

QuintessentialShadows Fri 11-Sep-09 14:05:12

Next time you are out together and her dd is walking, try look at little girl, and say to her mum, "would you look at that, "Daisy" seem to be walking a bit strange today, has she hurt her foot, or is she always like this?" sort of.

That way you avoid sounding critical.

OtterInaSkoda Fri 11-Sep-09 14:06:39

Does she call your dc a gobshite and a freak? I had a friend like that. Not any more.
Anyway, if you were my friend I'd be grateful for you saying something along the lines of "I'm not sure about the way your dd is walking - have you mentioned it to the doctor"? Sometimes (often actually) you get so used to your own dc's ways that it takes another parent to notice that something's not quite right.

Seuss Fri 11-Sep-09 14:08:57

I think I'd probably mention it, casually though. Something like, 'has your dd hurt her leg she seems to be favouring the left one' or something. I wouldn't say about needing her feet measured as she might feel you are accusing her of causing her daughter to walk oddly.

OtterInaSkoda Fri 11-Sep-09 14:09:10

QuintessentialShadows's suggestion is better than mine though grin

Overmydeadbody Fri 11-Sep-09 14:10:33

Yes mention it, I'd say the same as Quint, like "gosh, is your DD's foot ok?"

She may be aware of somethgin already but hasn't mentioned it to you.

thesecondcoming Fri 11-Sep-09 14:11:13

MovingOutOfBlighty Fri 11-Sep-09 14:12:48

Quint has this right.

hazeyjane Fri 11-Sep-09 14:16:44

Could you ask her whether her dd had a 'clicky hip' test, in a kind of casual way! I know someone whose lo had a similar problem with her leg, and it turned out that she hadn't had the test so a problem with her leg had been missed. There is more about it here

thesecondcoming Fri 11-Sep-09 14:20:03

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 11-Sep-09 14:20:43

Message withdrawn

famishedass Fri 11-Sep-09 15:04:14

Yes, tell her. When the times right, casually drop it into the conversation.

My friends ds always walked on his tip toes and she seemed not to notice this so when we were walking one day I said "oh no, has X hurt his foot" like i'd only just noticed. She took him to the doctor the next day and it turned out he need a minor op on his achilles tendon.

I'm sure you can manage to bring it up with sensitivity, but yes, do say something.

NormaSnorks Fri 11-Sep-09 15:12:55

Yes - find a way to tell her - Quint's suggestion is good.

A friend of mine's daughter didn't learn to walk until very late and then did it strangely. It turned out that she had two dislocayed hips! Her mum is forever feeling guilty that she didn't notice it sooner...

Meanwhile, it took a friend of mine pointing out that my DS was 'cross-eyed' for me to realise he had a really bad squint!

NormaSnorks Fri 11-Sep-09 15:13:45

dislocated hips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now