Talk

Advanced search

to have managed to give birth to 2 children and still........

(154 Posts)
Mamazon Fri 11-Sep-09 10:53:01

not have a clue about half of the pregnancy and TTC threads are on about?

I only found out recently what SPD was (i thought it was a type of power ranger) but there are things like HCG levels and how much they have increased.

WTF????

I wouldn't know what my HCG level was or how much it should have been.
Was i just a really ignorant person who didn't take any notice? does everyone else understand these threads?

surely im not the only one that just saw the little blue line and waited for 9 months.

Im starting to think im either really thick or that i have somehoe not dedicated enough time to my pregnancies.

ErikaMaye Fri 11-Sep-09 10:53:59

I thought we agreed I WAS a power ranger?? grin

curiositykilled Fri 11-Sep-09 10:54:38

no, you have to be an obsessive and a control freak to understand all these things grin I should know.

bethoo Fri 11-Sep-09 10:55:54

like they say ignorance is bliss and i am sure you never panicked or worried so all in all you must have had two pleasant pregnancies you lucky thing smile

purplepeony Fri 11-Sep-09 10:57:19

YABU- I don't know either, but count myself lucky not to have had fertility problems.

You should too.

curiositykilled Fri 11-Sep-09 10:59:22

purplepeony - hmm That was a bit unecessary! When did the OP say anything about being smug or superior to someone with fertility probs?

nickytwotimes Fri 11-Sep-09 10:59:37

I wish I didn't know what SPD was.
Only found out due to excrutiating pian and disability.
You are very lucky.
I don't understand a lot of the thread either, but as I am now struggling to conceive no.2, I am very glad they are there.

roulade Fri 11-Sep-09 11:03:33

You are very lucky to have had 2 trouble free pregnancies, unfortunately this is not the case for everyone. After 2 mcs i stressed my way through every day of my last (successful) pregnancy and i know i will be the same if i have another.Also some people have been trying for a baby for a veeery long time and i think it can become all consuming for them so they are very clued up about what is happening to their own bodies.

MarshaBrady Fri 11-Sep-09 11:05:21

Unfortunately you only get to know about this stuff if you have to know it to conceive.

I had never heard of SPD before mn, and still not entirely sure what it is (pelvis something?)

paisleyleaf Fri 11-Sep-09 11:05:30

You were lucky.
It's only when you have problems conceiving that you look into these things.

cory Fri 11-Sep-09 11:11:06

I'm not much of a control freak, but having spent several weeks in each pregnancy on the ante-natal ward I got to hear a fair bit of terminology. Whatever I didn't have myself, somebody else on the ward had. I felt I was learning a lot.

QuintessentialShadows Fri 11-Sep-09 11:13:51

Gosh how I wish I had been presented with a power ranger rather than spd.....

fufflebum Fri 11-Sep-09 11:15:40

I think you are being a bit harsh on this Op. I wonder if she is meaning that some people almost turn in to medical experts when pregnant or TTC. I don't think she was being smug or anything.

The reason I knew some of this stuff when pregnant was that the yoga teacher who ran I class I went too used to try and scare all the newly first time pregnant mums with tales of SPD and so forth. Obviously this is not something people have any choice over having so it always seemed a little unfair IMO (Interesting she left me alone second time round)

I agree perhaps the OP was being a little insensitive but 30/40 years ago women were not so clued up on all these issues as we are today.

MrsVik Fri 11-Sep-09 11:17:45

Each to their own I guess!

I'm one of those women who have ended up sounding like a medical book since TTC and becoming preggers. It's not that I'm a total worry-wart, it's more that I find it absolutely fascinating.

These things are happening inside my body, all this crazy stuff, and of course they would all happen whether or not I knew anything about them, but knowing makes the process all the more wonderful. Sorry for sounding like an old hippie!

Plus, once I know about certain things, it doesn't worry me when I experience them because I am prepared.

And, a couple of times I've been able to ask my doctor a key question which has been able to clarify something or another, which otherwise I wouldn't have known to ask. Including when he wanted me to have an amniocentesis and I could refuse knowing that there were other options available to me, which we then talked through like equals rather than as patient/doctor.

Personally I wouldn't want my doctor to have complete control over my pregnancy. I respect his medical degree, but when it comes to my baby, I feel the need to have some say in what happens.

So, yeah, that's why I like to be as informed as possible. Maybe it would worry some people more, or maybe some people just aren't interested. Fine - it takes all sorts. So YANBU, just different to some other people

lal123 Fri 11-Sep-09 11:19:20

fufflebum - guess the point people are making is that some people do have to almost turn into medical experts when pregnant or TTC sad

30/40 years ago we weren't so clued up - but thankfully medicine has moved on a bit since then

nickytwotimes Fri 11-Sep-09 11:19:29

I'm afraid it did come across to me as smug.

Mamazon Fri 11-Sep-09 11:22:21

no not being smug at all, honestly.

I am genuinly thinking myabe i did my children a dissrevice by not knowing this stuff.

It seems sometimes that everyone on here understands all these terms and knows all about it and im left wondering what language your all talking.

I had Polyhydramnia with DD so not exactly trouble free, but again i kind of decided that the less i knew the less i'd worry so i just attended each session and did what i was told.

I sometimes think if i got pregnant again now i'd be lost. I'd need to do some homework before i could join an ante natal thread as otehrwise i'd be lost.

I was just hoping someone would come and say that they didn'y know all this stuff either and that im not alone in my ignorance

nickytwotimes Fri 11-Sep-09 11:24:55

Well, if I hadn't had SPD, I wouldn't have heard of it. But unfortunately I did.

Fimbo Fri 11-Sep-09 11:26:14

I know what you are trying to say Mamazon, I am quite ingnorant when it comes to things like this too. I did end up with a spinal headache and had to have blood patches when I had my 2nd c-section with ds, I wish I had been more clued up that this could (although rarely) happen. When I went to the parenting classes when expecting dd they didn't cover c-sections at all.

Rubyrubyruby Fri 11-Sep-09 11:26:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nickytwotimes Fri 11-Sep-09 11:27:24

Though I do get the thing about taking notice of pregnancy.
I have a (lovely) friend who totally loves beign pg and finds it fascinating. Her and her dh used to sit down once a week with one of those in the womb picture books and see what might be happening. Not something I would do tbh and I did wonder at the time if I was being somewhat neglectful. I quickly got over it. wink

Mamazon Fri 11-Sep-09 11:29:28

no i really did think that when i saw a thread with SPD in teh title it was about Power Rangers - space patrol delta. Ds used to love it so i clicke dthe trhead and wondered what was going on blush

OrmIrian Fri 11-Sep-09 11:30:51

grin Me too mamazon. I just got up the duff and waiting around for 9 months. Other people did stuff to me and for me but I just waited and got fat.

I did have a Sheila Kitzinger book on childbirth and pregnancy and a Michael Odent book on birth - I loved looking at them but that was as far as it went.

bethoo Fri 11-Sep-09 11:33:38

you are not alone in your ignorance. i dont think you were being smug. but can see how those withe fertility issues may see it differently. i suffered 2 mc before having my ds and sometimes i think knowing too much can be just as detrimental than not knowing enough! i bled throughout my first and second trimester convincing myself it was all doom and worried myself sick and could not relax at all. i was constantly readin on the net about horrid things i had heard. so sometimes for ones sanity it is best to stay clear of these things.
i suffered wiht gestational diabetes and have GBS which is enough for me! and sciatica. and am glad i am aware as they coudl have had serious implications.
i dont think anyone has a perfect pregancny, only those who are deluded wink
but i think hte threads are good as very informative and you get lots of support. i have been on a different ante natal thread evry year (been busy) and the opinions and experiences of every woman are still interesting and unique!
waffle over! smile

OrmIrian Fri 11-Sep-09 11:33:45

Smug? Really hmm Just factual I would suggest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now